New Reply
Subscribe
ericsvizeny
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear nut

Sterling Audio ST55 mods?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into modding my Sterling Audio ST55. I can't seem to find much information on the web about modding these mics. I have attached some pictures of the insides. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Audio ST55 mods?-img_0673.jpg   Sterling Audio ST55 mods?-img_0675.jpg   Sterling Audio ST55 mods?-img_0678.jpg  
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvizeny View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into modding my Sterling Audio ST55. I can't seem to find much information on the web about modding these mics. I have attached some pictures of the insides. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric
I just got one of these....curious about mods too. I guess the answer is no though lol.

https://soundcloud.com/jasonlees/thinkn-about-u-25a-101413-l1-1?in=jasonlees/sets/demos-1
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

When I mod these mics I upgrade all of the capacitors. Start with the 1000pf and change that to a polystyrene. The capacitor between R7 & R9 I change to a 1uf Polypropylene. The 2 red/brown film caps I change out with Wima or Philips film caps. The 47uf by R3 I use a Nichicon Muse or other high grade capacitor. All of the other electrolytic capacitors I use Panasonic, Nichicon, Elna, or Rubycon.

I also do some proprietary tuning to the circuit to "tame" the high end.

JJ Audio

Making Music sound better, one mic at a time

Available at:

Sales and customer support:
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Have u heard of these mods? They're actually for the GT-55 (same mic?) and I found em on a diff forum:

1) Remove the resonator disc (carefully).

2) Install a trimpot between the resistor and source voltage on the FET to balance the microphone pair with each other. I found a 10K trimmer bringing the drain voltage to around 11 volts sounded best to me.

Also, how would u guys say that the mod affects the sound? Any mics to compare it to after?

How much someone wanna charge to do the mods if I send u my ST55? I dont have too much time to get into this and I feel weird visiting my local electronics guy since I wouldn't date his Japanese immigrant friend lol.
1st September 2012
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Willing to pay to get this mic modded. PM me if ur interested with price, etc...

THANKS!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search