Login / Register
 
isa-one A/D - has anyone tried stereo through it?
New Reply
Subscribe
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#1
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
isa-one A/D - has anyone tried stereo through it?

Hi everyone, my first post here - I've searched all over, and read the manual through, but i'm still wondering: if those nice converters on the digital isa-one preamp come to live in my house will i be able to put stereo stuff through them from time to time? It looks to me as if using the 'extra' input and the main input set to 'line' and 0 gain should be similar.. but isn't one channel going through the transformer? Would this mess with a stereo recording?
and most importantly, has anyone actually tried this and is happy/unhappy with the results?

Cheers
Mark
#2
31st December 2011
Old 31st December 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 1,415

euphoria89 is offline
Yes, i do believe the main line input will be ran through the transformer, so you will have tonal differences.

Can you not just run the process twice?
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#3
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
thanks - I'm under the impression that running stereo material in off analogue media will have minor speed differences every pass - so one channel at a time isn't an ideal way of doing it?

Seems strange (to me) that they shoe-horn those nice converters in there and there's no way to get stereo (or an equal for each channel signal path) into them...

perhaps just clocking my audiophile 2496's analogue ins from the isa's clock would be an 'upgrade' anyway

or maybe the audient mico will be a better choice to give me a proper stereo option?

so i'm looking at audiophile 2496 vs audiophile 2496 clocked by isa-one vs isa-one with one channel through a transformer vs audient mico...



i don't suppose there are very cheap ways of splitting the stereo into m/s, so i could bung just the mid through the transformer....
#4
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 770

BradLyons is offline
While the ISA ONE is a single channel unit, the A/D option (which is quite good by the way!!) is actually a 2-channel protocol. Notice I said 2-channel instead of stereo, because whether you want this to be stereo depends upon the software you are using---it is indeed (2) streams of digital input. The audio out of the ISA is hard-wired (internally) to one channel of the converter while the other channel, you would connect via the line input. If you were to connect a second ISA ONE into that A/D converter input, it would sound identical to the source unit. As to one channel going through the transformer---that is part of the mic-pre, NOT the converter.
__________________
Thank you, Brad Lyons
GC PRO- Pro Accounts Manager
www.gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com (to meet me)

p:(404)844-9758 (24-hour phone/voicemail)
e:blyons@gcpro.com

*No one beats my value of Expert Advice, Personal Service, and Incredible Pricing....NO ONE*
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#5
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #5
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
cheers Brad, and happy new year.
I guess my question is:

as it seems the two-channel converter has one channel hard wired to a preamp with a transformer in it, is there no way to create an equal signal path for an analogue stereo signal to reach the converters? Are you suggesting that a second analogue-only isa-one on the other channel is the only way?
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#6
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #6
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
thinking... brain ticking slowly... would the insert return offer a simple line-in? after all the insert is after the mic pre, and just before the converter.. so i'd click 'insert' and i'd click 'post insert' for the meter... would it need a dummy plug in the insert send maybe?

if anyone knows the circuit, or has used one for this could confirm that would be great... suddenly I'm optimistic again, and maybe the world won't end in 2012
#7
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #7
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Miami Beach Florida
Posts: 1,580

Jimsi is offline
if your talking of recording two different sources instead of stereo, the DI and the MIC can be recoded at the same time and it should all go through your digital card at the same time and thats your stereo....so YES you can....but not in stereo because of the tonal differences...insert, try that....the transformer is on the input before your insert...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
thinking... brain ticking slowly... would the insert return offer a simple line-in? after all the insert is after the mic pre, and just before the converter.. so i'd click 'insert' and i'd click 'post insert' for the meter... would it need a dummy plug in the insert send maybe?

if anyone knows the circuit, or has used one for this could confirm that would be great... suddenly I'm optimistic again, and maybe the world won't end in 2012
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#8
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
Thanks Jimsi - this is me trying to figure out if it's ok before i click buy...
Yeah I'm comfortable with its intended use as one mic, one DI.. I'm trying to establish if it can also, at a pinch, convert proper line-level stereo through signal paths that are pretty similar for left and right (ie a stereo synth, an old tape, nice fat reel-to-reel, an effects return etc etc)..

it looks as if the only difference (using the insert return for 'left') would be the left channel driving the needle vu meter, but that shouldn't affect the sound much should it? both channels would be driving the led peak meter anyway.

I hope to get some kind of confirmation from focusrite about whether the signal paths are equivalent, but if anyone here has the necessary machinery to check if the same signal split through both paths is still identical (will null) in digital land that would be great.

thanks
#9
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Kamurah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 579

Kamurah is offline
I have an ISA One with the digital card....and what you want to do is possible.

Here is an excerpt from the manual regarding the Insert / return:

Insert
Activating the INSERT switch (illuminated when active) breaks the signal path of the channel, so that the signal sent to the first ADC Input and the analogue output on the rear panel is the signal received at the INSERT RETURN connector (on the rear panel) rather than the direct mic, line or instrument signal. This switch is designed to allow the input signal to be routed to other hardware for processing and then back into the ISA One for digital conversion. The POST INSERT switch on the front panel allows the ‘return’ signal level to be viewed on the left-hand LED peak meter before conversion (see the Metering section on the next page for details).


Soo.....from the paragraph above it indicates the signal sent to one ADC input is the signal received from the 'return' jack...logically this would be post-transformer since the signal would already be amplified in a normal send/return scenario.

This would suggest if you put one channel in the EXT I/P, and one channel in the 'return' jack with the signal set to 'line' and the 'insert' button pushed you would get two-channel conversion without the transformer in the path.

NOTE: I just tested this with program material I am familiar with and and the answer is "YES" it works as described above. In this mode...the gain settings on the front panel have no effect on the signal...nor does the filter or the phase switch.

EXT I/P is the left channel. SEND RETURN is the right.

This mode basically turns the ISA One into a straight two-channel converter.

BTW there is a video on YouTube of a guy in a studio using the ISA One as conversion...

Hope this helps.
__________________
"Is it my imagination, or is the cutlery particularly defening this evening?"
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#10
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #10
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
Thanks Kamurah! That's the confirmation i wanted to hear, cheers for testing it, and happy new year
#11
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 1,415

euphoria89 is offline
And I suppose with the fact that the send/return are separate would indicate that these are also balanced inputs, as opposed to regular unbalanced single connections?

If that's the case, then both channels should be converted identically, creating a standalone 2 channel converter.

Why Focusrite wouldn't promote this is beyond me!

I love my ISA One Digital
#12
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Kamurah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 579

Kamurah is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
........

I love my ISA One Digital
Me too! I managed to pick mine up for a steal they were on closeout. Best deal I've ever gotten on this level of studio gear.

I wouldn't mind adding a 428 down the line.....with the A/D card of course.
#13
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 1,415

euphoria89 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Me too! I managed to pick mine up for a steal they were on closeout. Best deal I've ever gotten on this level of studio gear.

I wouldn't mind adding a 428 down the line.....with the A/D card of course.
Me too. In fact, I blagged myself another £25 off when said I was a music tech student. £375 all in all.
#14
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 770

BradLyons is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
And I suppose with the fact that the send/return are separate would indicate that these are also balanced inputs, as opposed to regular unbalanced single connections?

If that's the case, then both channels should be converted identically, creating a standalone 2 channel converter.

Why Focusrite wouldn't promote this is beyond me!

I love my ISA One Digital
Well it's kind of assumed, because they want you to purchase a second unit----and then plug it in for a true stereo sound via the converter. I guess that was the point I was getting at is that the converter IS the same on both channels, from the internal connection to the external second unit connected.
#15
1st January 2012
Old 1st January 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,149

Earcatcher is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
And I suppose with the fact that the send/return are separate would indicate that these are also balanced inputs, as opposed to regular unbalanced single connections?

If that's the case, then both channels should be converted identically, creating a standalone 2 channel converter.

Why Focusrite wouldn't promote this is beyond me!

I love my ISA One Digital
Yes, not only is the ISA One digital a very good and versatile preamp, it can also be used as just an A/D converter for any stereo signal at line level (balanced) that you throw at it. Through optical out you can directly run it into your Mac. And the conversion is really good too, while it can also be externally clocked by Wordclock. This way you can simply ad it to your interface to create two more digital inputs. ISA One digital is a rare bird with lots of unexpected tricks up its sleeve. An underrated piece of equipment.
mutetourettes
Thread Starter
#16
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Northants UK
Posts: 283

Thread Starter
mutetourettes is offline
Hi just for completeness, Focusrite support got back to me saying the paths are equivalent so stereo should be fine:

Quote:
There are no significant differences between the insert return and EXT I/P inputs as both are balanced inputs going directly to the converter. As such, using it to achieve stereo conversion, although not how it is designed, shouldn't cause any problems.
#17
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
  #17
Gear addict
 
Caramel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 402

Caramel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
I have an ISA One with the digital card....and what you want to do is possible.

Here is an excerpt from the manual regarding the Insert / return:

Insert
Activating the INSERT switch (illuminated when active) breaks the signal path of the channel, so that the signal sent to the first ADC Input and the analogue output on the rear panel is the signal received at the INSERT RETURN connector (on the rear panel) rather than the direct mic, line or instrument signal. This switch is designed to allow the input signal to be routed to other hardware for processing and then back into the ISA One for digital conversion. The POST INSERT switch on the front panel allows the ‘return’ signal level to be viewed on the left-hand LED peak meter before conversion (see the Metering section on the next page for details).


Soo.....from the paragraph above it indicates the signal sent to one ADC input is the signal received from the 'return' jack...logically this would be post-transformer since the signal would already be amplified in a normal send/return scenario.

This would suggest if you put one channel in the EXT I/P, and one channel in the 'return' jack with the signal set to 'line' and the 'insert' button pushed you would get two-channel conversion without the transformer in the path.

NOTE: I just tested this with program material I am familiar with and and the answer is "YES" it works as described above. In this mode...the gain settings on the front panel have no effect on the signal...nor does the filter or the phase switch.

EXT I/P is the left channel. SEND RETURN is the right.

This mode basically turns the ISA One into a straight two-channel converter.

BTW there is a video on YouTube of a guy in a studio using the ISA One as conversion...

Hope this helps.
Why didn`t someone mention this earlier. This is a big deal. If this was mentioned as a selling point, i`m sure more people would have bought the digital version. Now ,it`s discontinued. Oh dear.
#18
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Kamurah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 579

Kamurah is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Why didn`t someone mention this earlier. This is a big deal. If this was mentioned as a selling point, i`m sure more people would have bought the digital version. Now ,it`s discontinued. Oh dear.
Well...technically, the ISA One digital with the card PRE-installed is discontinued...the digital card is still available and can be installed by literally anyone AND is compatible with the analog version of the ISA One.

I installed my card myself in about 5 minutes....you unscrew about 10 screws holding the top on...carefully remove the top (there is a grounding wire attached so don't rip the top off)....plug the card into the board....screw it down....and replace the top and fastening screws. Hold down any button on the front during first power up to initialize the board. All done.

If you are willing to search, you can find some good deals on the ISA digital card on ebay.
#19
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
  #19
Gear interested
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1

Jonodog is offline
Hello all,
Ive been scratching my head as to what interface to buy to step up from my MOTU828mk1, and have decided that until I need more inputs, the ISA One would be great connected through the MOTU's ADAT (Only recording voice, guitar, and getting some samples from an 808, SH-101 and 707 before selling)....

Only problem is, the ISA One Digitals seem to have suddenly jumped up 100-200 quid (e.g. dv247) while Ive been making up my mind!

Any ideas where I can still get a good deal? Closer to the 399 they were going for until recently?

Many thanks!
#20
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 1,415

euphoria89 is offline
£499 absolutely music seems the cheapest place that has them in stock. £100 more than they were though, but they are soon to be EOL, so the prices will go up. Still a great bargain at that though. Quality is no different.!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Electric Motel / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
37

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.