Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?
New Reply
Subscribe
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingTheory View Post
The E80F has a slightly higher voltage rating yes ? Like 600V or something. So I had always considered running them at under 200V ( typical mic ) to be edging towards the "starved plate" region. Admittedly, Ive never tried though.. so now im intrigued. Thanks. I don't suppose there are any clip comparisons out there ?
...yes, Oliver Archut mentioned something to me about the tube not lasting as long as it might if the voltage were optimized, but I also remember Jim from JJ Audio telling me that the CM-6's voltage to the stock EF806S was a bit higher than he felt it should be, certainly not in the range you referenced...

...I have been using the CM-6 with the E80F almost as long as I have the mic, so all of the CM-6 clips I've posted are using the E80F...many other CM-6 users have PM'd me to say they too upgraded to the E80F and find the mic to be smoother and a touch less bright than with the stock tube, so I'm comfortable recommending it as a upgrade...it's worth mentioning that because the CM-6 is a simple plate-follower design, the pentode directly drives the output tranny, so the tube's character has a noticeable influence on the mic's tonality...not so much with the CM-5's CCDA circuit which uses both triodes of a 6072 tube in the mic's circuit, the secondary cathode-follower feeding the output tranny...

...there seems to be an ample inventory between the Valvo, Amperex, Philips and Mullard E80F/6084 variations and prices have remained reasonable, at least for the time being...if you haven't tried it as a sub for the EF86/6267, I suggest you give it a go...beautiful valve!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ga View Post
hi,

I started this thread almost a year ago...

I got the CM5 last week and I have to say that it is a really nice sounding mic. Smooth top end and full bodied low end. Like it !!
It is a nice companion for my AA CM47se which has stronger mids.

I own a much more expensive neumann mic and the CM5 holds up his own very well.
Great value, really a lot of mic for the money.
Thanks Dennis !
;-)

cheers
Markus
...great to hear, Markus!...I'm very glad you're pleased with the CM-5...afterall, as you mentioned, you initiated this thread quite some time ago....
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

I figured I'd throw up a couple of covers I recorded while I was learning the sound of the CM5. Nothing too polished.

In the first one (Pavement's 'Elevate Me Later (LS2)'), everything is recorded with the CM5 through a hamptone HJFP2 Jfet. Bass was through my Orange AD15 guitar amp. No processing at all. (It seems I clipped my converters at some points on the vocal track, so that nastiness is not the mic)

In the second one (Beatles' 'And Your Bird Can Sing'), vocals are CM5 through Hamptone tube. There was some distortion from the preamp, which was an accident, but wound up sounding good to me in the mix anyway. The guitars were miced with an sm57 through the hamptone HVTP2 tube, and the bass was direct through the hamptone tube. Drums are samples played on a keyboard. Used the Thrillseeker LA plugin on the vocals as a group, and some eq on the bass, but otherwise no processing.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Cm5 LS2 (No EQ).mp3 (6.61 MB, 186 views)
File Type: mp3 and your bird.mp3 (4.99 MB, 188 views)
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear interested

Sorry for the late response. I didn't know that MJ was banned thats interesting. Sorry for posting the quote as well I was just interested if there was any truth in some of his claims. But you guys are all right the stellars are great mics regardless of anything else. Regarding the E80F tubes I don't really like to buy stuff off of ebay, or really even use paypal much because I've had bad experiences with both. But thats something to look into I suppose. I'm selling my CV-12 and placing the order for the CM-6 tomorrow so once I get it I'll record some stuff and post some clips.
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopman View Post
Regarding the E80F tubes I don't really like to buy stuff off of ebay, or really even use paypal much because I've had bad experiences with both.
...NOS Amperex 6084 (E80F) are also available for $20 (plus $7.95 shipping) from this tube supplier:
Electron Tube List FM1000 - 9006 @ ESRCVacuumTubes.com
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the link kid I'll check that out. Just placed the order for the CM-6 today I spoke with Peter some more and hes definitely a great guy. He mentioned hes working on the CM-7 I really can't wait to see how thats gonna turn out. I'll post up some stuff in the CM-6 thread pretty soon.
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Gear interested

Also @prontold I liked the and your bird song. One thing that bothered me a bit was there was a bit of sibilance that kept like killing the whole vibe for me (I really don't like sibilance lol). But yeah was the mic like right in front of you or are you hanging it a little above you? I'm hoping I can get the CM-6 to be a bit higher then me so I won't get a lot of sibilance. The stand I have is pretty heavy duty, but I'm using an SE reflexion filter which is a bit heavy so I can't really extend the boom at an angle. Right now the stand is just pointed straight up with the filter near the top (the stand does tilt forward from the weight as well making the mic even lower). I've contemplated not using the filter when the CM-6 gets here but thats just a big waste then.
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks hiphopman. Strange, I don't really hear the sibilance, but maybe my monitors or headphones mask it a bit. Also, really high freq sibilance doesn't bother me as much as harsh stuff that ends up in the 3-5k range, so maybe that's why I didn't notice.

I think I recorded that with the mic above me, though I'm not absolutely sure. I have a somewhat sibilant voice when I'm singing loudly (if I'm not careful), so I'm sure it would sound different on a different singer, and that if I had noticed it, I could've repositioned the mic or moved it closer to an absorption panel to get rid of the isssssssssssssue.

I recommend getting a better mic stand. There's a really good deal somewhere for 6 high quality stands of different sizes with wheels and heavy bottoms etc. for ~$200. Forget where that was, but I'm starting to realize how big of a deal it is to have stands, cables etc. that you can rely on.
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Gear interested

Its not really a huge problem or anything and certainly not harsh so yeah your good I just personally can't stand any of that stuff :( I'll have to adjust though as you certainly can't expect perfection from home studios lol. But yeah it would be great if I could get one of those super heavy duty stands with the wheels on them, but thats not possible for me at the moment. The stand I have isn't necessarily a cheap one it was $80 and I'm sure it'll hold pretty much any mic by itself without much problems. But they make the reflexion filters very heavy also the mounting system is weird. With everything in place and whatnot the reflexion filter would tilt horizontally so it wasn't completely flat. I can fix it temporarily by straightening it and using pliers to tighten the knob thing that holds it. But eventually it just goes to being crooked again :( I like the filter and it certainly has tightened up my sound but I don't know it just comes with some drawbacks in return. Still waiting for my CM-6 Peter said he shipped it yesterday lol very excited.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

Did Peter give you guys a tracking number when you ordered your Stellar's? Or did you just have to wait until they arrived? I'm impatient lol.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear interested

JUST GOT MY CM-6 TODAY ITS BEATIFULLLLLLLLLLLLLL LOL. I'M SUPER EXCITED PETER EVEN GAVE ME A FREE METAL POP FILTER WHICH YOU CAN SEE IN THE PICTURE (BY THE WAY I DIDN'T EXACTLY GET THE SETTINGS RIGHT ON THE CAMERA BUT YEAH), Peter is awesome nuff said.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?-cm-6.jpg  
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

Here's something I'm working on every now and then that heavily features the CM5. Trying to flesh it out as the chorus bit has been stuck in my head for weeks, but nothing else comes so easily. Still kind of rough as I was trying to improvise to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of the song.

Drums: Addictive drums -> Overstayer Fet
Guitars: G&L tribute legacy -> Orange AD15 -> Stellar CM5 -> Hamptone JFET -> Overstayer FET
Bass: Same as guitars but it was a bass :-p
Vocals: Stellar CM5 -> Hamptone JFET -> Overstayer FET -> Overstayer VCA

I actually put an hour or two into mixing this, so things are a bit more processed (eq on guitars, bass, plugin compression on the bass, verb and some deessing on the vocals).

http://soundcloud.com/ichnumonb/my-girl
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
Gear Head

Nice!
The cm-5 is my new fav way to record guitar cab. especially since putting in a nos tube.
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

Yea it's pretty frikkin great a bit off axis from the speaker. Nice and sparkly and meaty
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
...that's a veiled remark!...
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Going back for the holidays and got to mess with the CM5 on some acoustic instruments for the first time. Really like what it does for my boomy Guild dreadnought, and again the tonal differences in polar pattern are cool. Here's a couple of covers (pitchy per usual :-/) in cardioid (IDTIEGFIO) and bidirectional (Wild Horses). I had the foam screen on the mic as I feel it takes a little bit of the edge off of sibilance and fricatives.
Attached Files
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...that's a veiled remark!...

That's an accidental submission!
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...it's worth mentioning that because the CM-6 is a simple plate-follower design, the pentode directly drives the output tranny, so the tube's character has a noticeable influence on the mic's tonality...not so much with the CM-5's CCDA circuit which uses both triodes of a 6072 tube in the mic's circuit, the secondary cathode-follower feeding the output tranny...
Is this why there are so many threads/discussions about the NOS tube replacement options for the CM-6, but not too many dedicated to tube options for the CM-5?

Does the stock tube in a CM-5 give a better representation of what the microphone "should" sound like than the TungSol tube did in the CM-6?
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs View Post
Is this why there are so many threads/discussions about the NOS tube replacement options for the CM-6, but not too many dedicated to tube options for the CM-5?
...I think there's just been a lot more interest in the CM-6 than the CM-5 in general...Stellar has sold many more of the CM-6 than the CM-5, but in fact, there are many more tube options for the CM-5 than for the CM-6...the CM-6 was designed specifically for the pentode EF86 tube, so you are essentially limited to the different brands of that particular tube, as well as the higher-quality versions, the EF806S and the E80F...I'm not aware of any other variations of the EF86...

...on the other hand, the CM-5 was designed to accept any of the 12A*7 variations (12AT7, 12AY7, 12AX7, 12AU7, etc)...these dual-triode tubes vary in gain output ratings (mu) as well as tonal characteristics, so the options for swapping are much broader...but it's the nature of the CM-6's pentode-based (wired as a triode) plate-follower circuit that I was referring to...the circuit is so simple and basic that the quality/character of the tube is quickly revealed...in the CM-5's 2-stage CCDA cathode-follower circuit, both triodes of the tube are engaged in the design...the nature of this kind of circuit, IMHO, imparts more color or "mojo" regardless of which 12A*7 variant you choose...

Quote:
Does the stock tube in a CM-5 give a better representation of what the microphone "should" sound like than the TungSol tube did in the CM-6?
...like I said, I believe one circuit is more simple, clean and transparent, revealing more about the tube (CM-6), while the other is more complex and driven, dictating more color and mojo by design, even before the tubes characteristics are entered into the equation (CM-5)...

...understand, I'm no mic tech...these are just my take on the two designs based on my experience swapping tubes in both mics...
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear maniac

Ah, thanks. Didn't realize that it took 12A_7 tubes (I don't have one yet.) I'm familiar with working with these types of preamp tubes from swapping out tubes in guitar amps, and I know how they tend to affect saturation, flavor, and headroom uniquely in that context.

I'll just have to test them out, and see if similar concepts apply in the microphone. (i.e., 12AX7 vs. 12AU7, etc.) Finding a variety of cool NOS tubes for the mic when I get one will be a cool, never-ending adventure, I'm sure.
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, thanks. Didn't realize that it took 12A_7 tubes (I don't have one yet.) I'm familiar with working with these types of preamp tubes from swapping out tubes in guitar amps, and I know how they tend to affect saturation, flavor, and headroom uniquely in that context.

I'll just have to test them out, and see if similar concepts apply in the microphone. (i.e., 12AX7 vs. 12AU7, etc.) Finding a variety of cool NOS tubes for the mic when I get one will be a cool, never-ending adventure, I'm sure.
...yes, I believe there are definate similarities to using different 12A*7 tubes in a guitar amp circuit...going from the lower gain tubes, like a 12AU7, to higher gain variants, like the 12AX7, will dictate just how much "mojo" you want to introduce into the preamp circuit..."tube rolling" is addictive, no doubt!
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear nut

I managed to audition the Miktek CV4 last month, and it's perfect in every way for me. Will the CM-5 get me closer to the CV4, or would the CM-6?

I do know that the CV4 uses a NOS Telefunken EF800 tube.
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbiz View Post
I managed to audition the Miktek CV4 last month, and it's perfect in every way for me. Will the CM-5 get me closer to the CV4, or would the CM-6?

I do know that the CV4 uses a NOS Telefunken EF800 tube.
...I have not had the opportunity to try the CV4 yet, although I've tried to setup a shootout/comparison including it and some other tube mics I have access to, so I can't give you an objective opinion...I can say that both the CM-6 and CV4 employ K67-type capsules and pentode-based plate-follower circuits with transformer coupled output, so my guess is the CM-6 is closer...auditioning CV4 soundfiles available online also support that conclusion...the CM-6 may be a touch shinier/brighter on the top-end, but not harsh or brittle...that is my best guess...hope that helps...
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Whatever happened to the cm-7 that was in the works?!
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Whatever happened to the cm-7 that was in the works?!
...can't be sure, but from what I know, the cost of these mics from the factory has risen substantially, and because the CM-6 has been on backorder for a while, production of the CM-7 is being delayed until the CM-6 is back in stock...

...I recorded the lead vocals for this track with the CM-7 prototype while it was on loan to me for beta testing:
http://www.mixcloud.com/kidvybes/mic...nie-on-guitar/
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear OCD

Send a message via AIM to _Mark
Is there any frequency graph? I could really use that... thinking of getting one.
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Head

kidvy: so I've been trying to follow CM5 development. It seems at one time someone (I think you) was describing it as a cathode follower using the second triode for that. Then later I think you said the final designs was a simpler plate follower. Is that correct?
And so now, how does it compare to the CM6? I think the CM6 uses a center terminated diaph though I dont know more about it. I think the CM5 uses and edge terminated C12 copy though I like to know more about it also. I think both mics use similar transformers but not exactly the same. Can you please fill me in on the parts/design differences between these too? At one time I thought the cm5 was going to be more vintage sounding but now is it more like a CM6 sister with different capsule? Thanks!
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el touristo View Post
kidvy: so I've been trying to follow CM5 development. It seems at one time someone (I think you) was describing it as a cathode follower using the second triode for that. Then later I think you said the final designs was a simpler plate follower. Is that correct?
And so now, how does it compare to the CM6? I think the CM6 uses a center terminated diaph though I dont know more about it. I think the CM5 uses and edge terminated C12 copy though I like to know more about it also. I think both mics use similar transformers but not exactly the same. Can you please fill me in on the parts/design differences between these too? At one time I thought the cm5 was going to be more vintage sounding but now is it more like a CM6 sister with different capsule? Thanks!
...while a few of the early prototypes for the CM-5 were simple plate-follower based designs (like the CM-6), the final version is a CCDA (constant current draw amplifier) with the secondary cathode-follower coupling the second triode of the 6072 tube to the output transformer...

...so the CM-5 and CM-6 are entirely different designs, one modern, bright and shiny (CM-6) and the other warmer, thicker, more vintage sounding (CM-5)...CM-6 has a 35mm 6-micron center-terminated K67-style capsule, the CM-5 has a 34mm edge-terminated 6-micron C12-type capsule...the CM-6 has a dual-bobbin BV-8-type transformer (6.5:1) and the CM-5 has a dual-bobbing T14-type transformer (11:1)...the CM-6 uses a EF806s pentode tube wired as a triode, and the CM-5 uses a 6072A dual-triode tube...

...hope that helps...
16th May 2013
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Head

Clears it up, thanks! So the CM5's tone is pretty flat with a rise around 10K?
i've heard a few samples gonna go look for some more.
Got any pics of the boards of the final versions of these mics? (for drooling purposes)...
Any idea why the CM6 is priced higher?
wow CM7 sounds good on her voice on "No Way" -great job by everyone! (from above link). was it eq'd much? what preamp?
oh and btw, it's probably somewhere on here, but do you
know the status of the CM7?
16th May 2013
Old 16th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by el touristo View Post
Any idea why the CM6 is priced higher?
Oh, wow. I hadn't even noticed that he raised the price of the CM-6. It had been $415 just like the CM-5 up until the last time I checked, which was recently.

Clearly, the CM-6 is in higher demand than the CM-5. Any "part availability issues" are secondary to this IMO. He raised the price to $499 because he can. The microphone is in high demand, and he can't keep them in stock, so this doesn't surprise me at all. Nor would it surprise me if he continues to sell out of them, regardless of the price change. It's not the first time the price was raised on it, either. They started out at $350.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search