Login / Register

Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?
New Reply
Subscribe
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Agree. The CM6 probably has more sparkle than the CAD E300. The CAD M9 and E300 are completely different animals, especially since the E300 isn't even a tube mic. I compared takes with my CAD M9 with upgraded Telefunken tube to takes I did with the CM5. Very close in the mids, M9 has more of the sheen and presence that I like in a vocal. Plus, it's 150 bucks less. I'm guessing the CM6 and CAD M9 are going to be really close sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
I don't have any personal experience with a CAD M9, I have the CAD E300, which is a wonderful mic, but in a direct shootout with the CM5 and CM6 on 3 voices that I used the CAD on all the time, the Stellars sounded way better. The CM6 had the clearest, airiest highs I'd ever heard, while the rich lows and mids of the CM5 sounded exactly like I've always wanted my wife's voice to sound like on the CAD, but never did.

After the shootout I ended up ordering both mics. The CAD hasn't been used since.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
I'm guessing the CM6 and CAD M9 are going to be really close sounding.
...it's statements like that, that diminish any potential credibility from your many posted opinions about gear you've had very little or no experience with...
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...it's statements like that, that diminish any potential credibility from your many posted opinions about gear you've had very little or no experience with...
Well, they are both tube mics, albeit different tubes, capsules and entirely different circuits. They both have silver grills, 7 pin cables and come with a nifty aluminum carrying case plus power supplies. However, the M9 does come with a fixed clip AND shockmount, while the CM-6 just has a shockmount. There's enough similarities to conclude they should sound pretty close to each other, isn't there?
ma_ga
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm guessing the CM6 and CAD M9 are going to be really close sounding.
... had both, still have the the cm6.
Guessing is not knowing.
very different mics imho!
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ga View Post
... had both, still have the the cm6.
Guessing is not knowing.
very different mics imho!
Surely you jest! Owning both mics? Possibly using them more than once? And then selecting one in favor of the other? This cannot possibly be a rational and objective means of determination, or in any way be considered as a substitute for mere ignorant speculation.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Shoot, give guitarboy a break.

He had the CM5 for crying out loud. And the M9. He found them to be similar. But the M9 had more of a sheen on the top end.

Which...is exactly how I'd heard kidvybes explain the difference between the CM5 and CM6. Soooo....it stands to reason for him to make the CM6 and M9 comparison. Follow?

So cut the guy some slack.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Shoot, give guitarboy a break.

He had the CM5 for crying out loud. And the M9. He found them to be similar. But the M9 had more of a sheen on the top end.

Which...is exactly how I'd heard kidvybes explain the difference between the CM5 and CM6. Soooo....it stands to reason for him to make the CM6 and M9 comparison. Follow?

So cut the guy some slack.
Would you draw the same conclusion and buy either mic on that comparison? He bought a CM-5 and immediately put it up for sale, which he has every right to do. He likes what the M9 does on his voice, which is great. But just because the CM-6 has kidvybes definition of sheen to it and the M9 has gutarboy's definition of sheen to it, doesn't mean they're anything alike in the rest of the spectrum, or even have the same top end at all. Follow?
If he owned a CM-6 and an M9 and had extensively used both, then yeah, he could speak with some knowledge on the subject. But speculating helps no one, you've been around here long enough to know that.

You're right though, I'll try to cut him some slack. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how uneducated it may be.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever, man. It's all subjective opinion. I find it hilarious that you and MHS continue to get worked up over one man's opinions and experiences with gear he has owned or does own. Do you own these brands I dislike or something? I made my statement based on clips I've heard of the CM6 (and my previous ownership of the CM5). Sounds pretty similar to my upgraded CAD M9. How did I lose credibility by comparing the two mics? I don't get it (nor do I give a hill of beans if you like my opinions or not). Keep in mind that my Cad M9 has an upgraded tube. I noticed a big improvement with the upgrade. It put the Cad in the same league as the Stellars, to my ears of course. I stand firm that if you want a tube mic in the league of the Stellars, then get the M9 for 220 bucks and a Telefunken tube for 30 bucks. That gives you a very comparable tube mic for 250 bucks (and it's returnable, unlike the Stellars). Plus, you spare yourself 150 bucks plus the freakin' 45 bucks Peter wants for shipping. I've got nothing against Stellar. I'm just a free-market guy who loves products that offer that best bang for the buck. And to my ears, it's the M9 with the upgraded tube.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I stand firm that if you want a tube mic in the league of the Stellars, then get the M9 for 220 bucks and a Telefunken tube for 30 bucks.
...more logic from the same mind that concluded a software product called "EZmix" would revolutionize the recording industry (shortly before he re-sold it on eBay for $99)...

Quote:
Mark my words: this software is going to revolutionize home recording and the need to pay a mixing engineer thousands of dollars to get a decent mix. Just wait till the word gets out.

...the problem is, as mhs2xs pointed out, often other GS members read these threads for advice/recommendations about products they may be considering purchasing...drawing conclusions about evaluating gear in comparison to other gear you've not used first-hand is pointless and helps no one...you love your CAD M9 and that's fine, but saying it's comparable to a well regarded mic that you've never used is careless IMHO...previously, you evaluated the CM-5 as a "really, really dark" mic without enough sheen to be used as a vocal mic...not even close to an accurate appraisal IMO, especially considering you actually "owned" that one for a few days...

Quote:
After testing this CM-5 on some vocal tracks, I'm thinking the CM-6 might be a better fit. This CM-5 is really, really dark.
Quote:
I went through lots of mics, including the Stellar CM5. It just didn't have enough sheen for vocals.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

If he found the CM5 to be dark, then for him, it is dark. What's the problem? You don't agree- fine. But his opinion is still valid.

Just like some folks find the CM6 to be too bright. Gasp!

Turns out that not all people hold the Stellar mics in the same high regard that you do.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Turns out that not all people hold the Stellar mics in the same high regard that you do.
...3 days ago...

Quote:
I've been through mics in the 1K range and Chinese mics in the 300 dollar range. I hear very little difference. Heck, the 400 dollar Stellar mics compete with USA/German made mics in the 1K range.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

I have a studio owner friend who offered to mix my stuff for free in exchange for yard work. Being tight on cash, I found no reason to keep EZMIX at the moment. EZMIX is an amazing tool, but I'm lazy...enough to let someone else do the mixing so I can use that precious free time I have laying down tracks. Just because I sold the license to the software doesn't mean I no longer think highly of it. My finances often dictate my buying and selling habits.

Ever read movie reviews, by the way? Every movie that's ever been made gets F's to A's. It's silly for potential readers to form a decision based on reviews alone.
Same goes for any other product, including recording gear. Reviews are typically based on emotional attachment or detachment.

Everyone hear that? The B.S. I and everyone else spout off around here is all OPINION. Do lots of research before making any purchase. Please don't buy a CAD M9 because I said it was a fantastic mic. Please don't NOT buy a Stellar mic because I happen to prefer my CAD. I'm attached to the CAD. I admit it.

Quote:
...more logic from the same mind that concluded a software product called "EZmix" would revolutionize the recording industry (shortly before he re-sold it on eBay for $99)...

...the problem is, as mhs2xs pointed out, often other GS members read these threads for advice/recommendations about products they may be considering purchasing...drawing conclusions about evaluating gear in comparison to other gear you've not used first-hand is pointless and helps no one...you love your CAD M9 and that's fine, but saying it's comparable to a well regarded mic that you've never used is careless IMHO...previously, you evaluated the CM-5 as a "really, really dark" mic without enough sheen to be used as a vocal mic...not even close to an accurate appraisal IMO, especially considering you actually "owned" that one for a few days...
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...3 days ago...
As I said, I don't think Stellars are bad mics at all. I just prefer my Cad.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...3 days ago...
Understood.

I think sometimes it's just best to let some things go. And maybe, just maybe, step back a bit from the stellar soapbox. I know you love 'em. I know you're not alone. And from what I've heard of your stuff, you have good engineering chops.

That said, the unbridled stellar love is getting a bit old.

Cheers...
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

I think KIDV loves his Stellar as much as I love my M9..and I'm okay with that! Once you start cutting some really nice tracks with a mic...look out! That's when that passionate love-affair starts...
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think KIDV loves his Stellar as much as I love my M9..and I'm okay with that!
Well alright. You kids have fun.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That said, the unbridled stellar love is getting a bit old.
...read my recent posts...I offer mic recommendations based on the needs posted by other members...Stellar, Advanced Audio, KEL, Heil, and even the occassional MXL...nothing "unbridled" here...this happens to be a CM-5 thread...my support for Stellar mics (as well as the other mics I recommend) is based on day to day use in my studio and feedback from associates who use the mics regularly...sorry if you find the "consistancy" of my opinions tiresome...simple solution: stay off the Stellar threads and save yourself the headache...
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...simple solution: stay off the Stellar threads and save yourself the headache...
Ahhhhh...but every thread has the potential to be a 'stellar thread.'

The only reason I chimed in here is because guitarboy was getting a drubbing for NOT liking his CM5, and then making comparisons between the CM6 and M9.

But you wouldn't have any of that.
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...read my recent posts...I offer mic recommendations based on the needs posted by other members...Stellar, Advanced Audio, KEL, Heil, and even the occassional MXL...nothing "unbridled" here...this happens to be a CM-5 thread...my support for Stellar mics (as well as the other mics I recommend) is based on day to day use in my studio and feedback from associates who use the mics regularly...sorry if you find the "consistancy" of my opinions tiresome...simple solution: stay off the Stellar threads and save yourself the headache...
KidV,

Don't get me wrong. I do think Stellars are great mics. I'm not here to bash them. They're terrific bang for the buck, no doubt. It's just a preference thing for me. Much like clothing, a mic has to "fit" a certain way. For me, the Stellar took a little too much tweaking. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tracking. I like instant charm when I sing into a mic. But that's just me and my personal preference and the way the mic reacted with my vocal.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think KIDV loves his Stellar as much as I love my M9..and I'm okay with that! Once you start cutting some really nice tracks with a mic...look out! That's when that passionate love-affair starts...
...guess the "love-affair" is over already?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...12at7-nos.html

...you're too funny, g-boy...hope your new "love" (Sterling ST77) doesn't break your heart...

Quote:
The only reason I chimed in here is because guitarboy was getting a drubbing for NOT liking his CM5, and then making comparisons between the CM6 and M9.

But you wouldn't have any of that.
...slaphappy, you may want to choose your battles more carefully, next time...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?-cad.m9.jpg  
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, you caught me cheating Kidv! There's a new woman in town and her name is Sterling ST77! Blows smoke on my CAD M9 (and that says a lot, really it does). I have absolutely no need to keep both lovers around.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...slaphappy, you may want to choose your battles more carefully, next time...
You said it.
Good golly.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You said it.
Good golly.

BTW...a new shootout/review on Recordinghacks.com put the CM-5 up against some impressive competition:

Stellar CM5 Review | recording hacks

..do any of the CM-5 soundclips posted in that shootout even approach "really, really dark"?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?-cm5-vox.jpg  
4th September 2012
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Head

I've had a cm-5 for a couple months now, been recording everything with it side by side with an AT4050. I think the CM-5 is just on the borderline of being too bright, but it does have a very sweet and natural high end. It's missing some detail in the mids unlike the 4050, but the low end is so rich. Overall I would describe it as "big" sounding, but with a "you are there" realism in the high end. Still can't decide if I like it or the 4050 better. They are very different. Leaning towards the cm-5, though. Love it 2 feet out on loud elec guitar.
4th September 2012
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheva View Post
I think the CM-5 is just on the borderline of being too bright, but it does have a very sweet and natural high end. It's missing some detail in the mids unlike the 4050, but the low end is so rich. Overall I would describe it as "big" sounding, but with a "you are there" realism in the high end. Still can't decide if I like it or the 4050 better. They are very different. Leaning towards the cm-5, though. Love it 2 feet out on loud elec guitar.
...I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the CM-5, "just on the borderline of being too bright", (considering another GS member called it "really dark")...but in direct comparison to the 4050, I would agree it has a much more present, lively top-end...but keep in mind that by simply swapping out the tube in your mic, you can change the mic's voicing to some noticeable degree...tubes you might want to consider would be a good NOS GE 6072 (military grade 12AY7 tube), or if you want to hear a more mid-forward sound, try a good NOS GE 6201 (military grade 12AT7 tube)...either of these will offer some variation from the stock new issue EH 6072A...

...tubes are a bit of a crapshoot, so I recommend buying less expensive options, from sources like eBay just to see if you find a particular variant that you like...then if you desire, you can seek out more costly, graded tubes from a respectable tube merchant...just a thought...enjoy your mic!
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the recommendations on the tubes, kidvybes. I would indeed enjoy a more mid-forward sound from my cm-5. I should clarify- when I say "been recording everything" I mean in a typical rock band context, but unlike most of what I've heard/read on GS, not vocals. Half stacks, 15" bass cabs, OH, FOK and acoustic guitar. Next I will try it on piano & cello. That is why I have been comparing it to the 4050- I was curious how it would stand up to a mike with a good rep for recording everything well. As far as whether it's a 'bright' mike or not- well it's all subjective, right? And I haven't really "recorded" with it yet, just nerdy mike-testing crap. I am by no means an expert, so I have been appreciating your free advice and first-hand experience of decent & affordable mikes for quite some time now.
Thank-you Mr. Gore, for inventing the Internet.
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheva View Post
Thanks for the recommendations on the tubes, kidvybes.
I am by no means an expert, so I have been appreciating your free advice and first-hand experience of decent & affordable mikes for quite some time now.
...no problem, sheva...tube swapping is a worthwhile endeavor, but nothing beats actual experience using the mic in various applications, while varying mic placement and polar patterns...please continue to update your experience with the CM-5, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance with tube recommendations, should you decide to try the possible options...
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Head

Based on your recommendation and some Googling, I think I may try the GE 6201 and see where that takes me. They're about $10-20 on ebay, so it's definitely worth checking out. And I will relate my experience after a good amount of experimentation.
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would indeed enjoy a more mid-forward sound from my cm-5.
Although there are some subtle things you could think of (Mullard tube?), a C12 type capsule, or edge terminated large diaphragm, is not about mid forwardness. Sooner the opposite.

Henk
2nd October 2012
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Although there are some subtle things you could think of (Mullard tube?), a C12 type capsule, or edge terminated large diaphragm, is not about mid forwardness. Sooner the opposite.
True. I'm just used to the mid-forward sound I suppose.

Anyway, I finally got around to plugging in a late 50's GE 6201. Snagged it for $11 on ebay. I have to say- if nothing else, it did feel cool plugging in an old tube into a mic. So the 6201 seems to have really smoothed things out in a nice way. The low and high end are smoother and the mids seem more "sparkly". Maybe it lost a bit of transient detail, but in a good way. Still, though, the original tube sounds great too. More clear. I haven't really decided if I prefer one over the other. It's nice to have options, I suppose.
I need more tube mics!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search