Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
... but she had a headache anyway?

Henk
of course :-D
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

ya know, when it comes to women, rolling tubes can make a huge difference...
13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ga View Post
thanks kidvybes,

would be nice to hear some samples....
...I'm still in the process of tracking vocals for this tune, but I thought I'd throw up a quick preliminary mix using what I have so far...all vocals were tracked with the Stellar CM-5, and some slight compression and reverb were applied to set it into the mix...when I have more vocals completed, if you'd like, I will post some raw vocal snippets as well...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Nowadays.edit.mp3 (2.58 MB, 596 views)
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Haz-Mat-Strat;7409746]

You do not need a 2kv cap on C5. 160v will work. 1000 to 1500pf will give you a good sound. I like polystyrene.

I have been informed by the manufacturer of the OM7 that the minimum voltage for C5 must be 500V. I imagine this is to give enough headroom for the full voltage swing.
Substituting a 2kv cap for a 160V one seems rather a big change. Polystyrene may well be a better substitute though. On what basis did you recommend a 160v cap?
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=jackinthebox;7445361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post

You do not need a 2kv cap on C5. 160v will work. 1000 to 1500pf will give you a good sound. I like polystyrene.

I have been informed by the manufacturer of the OM7 that the minimum voltage for C5 must be 500V. I imagine this is to give enough headroom for the full voltage swing.
Substituting a 2kv cap for a 160V one seems rather a big change. Polystyrene may well be a better substitute though. On what basis did you recommend a 160v cap?
The polarization voltage looks to be around 60vDC. The backplate is coupled with the grid and the front membrane is going to ground. This capacitor filters the DC backplate voltage to the grid. The 160v DC is more than twice the voltage that the capacitor will see.

If this capacitor was coupling the back membrane (120vDC max) and the grid directly coupled to front the membrane, then a much higher voltage rating is needed.

I routinely use 1000pf 600v caps in tube mics because that is what I have in stock.

JJ Audio

Making Music sound better, one mic at a time

Available at:

Sales and customer support:
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

What's up everyone? Well I finally had a chance to rewire everything in my home setup (we had a flood from the hurricane last year and had to have the basement redone) and test out the cm5, and I must say, that thing sounds GREAT.

Here's a few pics of the mic side by side with my sm7b and the cm6.

I laid down a quick verse for a song that I'm doing with someone and will be uploading the vocals in a few minutes.

Oops! I forgot to tell the order of the mics (like you all couldn't figure it out lol). The cm5 is the one on the far right, the cm6 sits in the middle and the sm7b is of course the one on the far left.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?-imag0074.jpg   Anyone got the new Stellar CM5 yet?-imag0075.jpg  

Last edited by D-Fyant; 18th January 2012 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: More info
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...all vocals were tracked with the Stellar CM-5, and some slight compression and reverb were applied to set it into the mix...when I have more vocals completed, if you'd like, I will post some raw vocal snippets as well...
That vocal sounds amazing! What pre did you use?
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fyant View Post
What's up everyone? Well I finally had a chance to rewire everything in my home setup (we had a flood from the hurricane last year and had to have the basement redone) and test out the cm5, and I must say, that thing sounds GREAT.
...agreed!...the CM-5 is a great companion piece to the CM-6...there's a nice complimentary contrast in the voicing of the two mics...

Quote:
That vocal sounds amazing! What pre did you use?
...thanks, bro!...for those vocal tracks I used a Great River ME-1NV on a "clean" setting (20dB input gain and +10dB output level)...
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

Stellar CM5 Vocals

Alrighty, here's a rush job of the vocal (equipped with edits ) I worked on earlier. After listening to the dry vocal mix again, the vox are a little loud so my apologies everyone! I'm uploading the dry vox and its mix, the eq'd vox and its mix and the instrumental track as well.

Hardware used:

-Pre 73 (set fairly clean)
-Stellar CM5
-FMR RNC (light compression on super nice setting, 1st in chain)
-FMR PBC-6A (light compression 2nd in chain)
-Fast Track Ultra 8R

I also used light eq, reverb and delay plugs.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 dry vocal mixdown.mp3 (1.31 MB, 210 views)
File Type: mp3 dry vocal.mp3 (1.31 MB, 208 views)
File Type: mp3 instrumental clip.mp3 (1.39 MB, 40 views)
File Type: mp3 mixed vocal mixdown-Track 18.mp3 (1.33 MB, 155 views)
File Type: mp3 mixed vocal.mp3 (1.31 MB, 107 views)
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
...agreed!...the CM-5 is a great companion piece to the CM-6...there's a nice complimentary contrast in the voicing of the two mics...

I can't wait to do a few more recordings and get a few people in here to record as well. I foresee this mic becoming my new "goto" condenser!

...thanks, bro!...for those vocal tracks I used a Great River ME-1NV on a "clean" setting (20dB input gain and +10dB output level)...
That's the next pre I've been wanting to get (either that or the vintech x73i) but I'll have to save for a little while longer before I can get my hands on one of those two
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hardware used:

-Stellar CM5
-Fast Track Ultra 8R

...so D, if I'm to understand correctly, you're recording thru 2 compressors going in?...by design, the RNC is already 3 chained compression circuits alone...I think you maybe overcompressing by adding the PBC-6A as well...in the past, I think we had discussed you're vocals being sibilant to begin with, and excessive compression may only serve to accentuate that...just a thought...

Quote:
I can't wait to do a few more recordings and get a few people in here to record as well. I foresee this mic becoming my new "goto" condenser!
...if you don't mind, I'd like to recommend some test tracking without any compression going in, and then with each compressor individually at graduated settings ...by comparing those multiple tracks with/without varying degrees of compression, you'll get a better handle on the voicing of the CM-5 (which is less bright than your CM-6) as well as a better idea of how each compressor performs in combination with the CM-5...you may find a configuration that serves your needs better...when it comes to vocal tracking, I tend to believe "less is more" in terms of outboard compression going in (you can always add additional compression to taste, ITB)...of course, YMMV...
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
Quote:
...so D, if I'm to understand correctly, you're recording thru 2 compressors going in?...by design, the RNC is already 3 chained compression circuits alone...
agreed. supernice mode is a wonderful thing, but it's 3 series compressors so when it hits it hits hard, transparently but hard.

with an additional comp like the pbc maybe you could try switching off supernice mode to get 2 controllable comp layers in series with different tones/settings/reasons for having each?
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the heads up guys. I didn't even realize that super nice mode was actually acting as 3 compressors (duh rtfm! ). This isn't my normal chain; I usually use the rnc in regular mode with the vla ii after it, but I had been getting some decent results with that combo so I just gave it a shot.

Ironically, with that setup, I seemed to get less sibilance than with the cm6 in my "typical" setup.

I'm going to do a few more recordings with just one compressor at a time as well and see what I come up with. Patchbays are the best . I can always get a clean recording simultaneously since I have it set up half normalled on the patchbay.

I know it's pretty easy to overdue pretty much anything (especially subtleties like compression) which is why not so technically seasoned engineers/producers like myself appreciate comments like these.

Thanks!
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to illacov Send a message via Yahoo to illacov
Talking

Quote:
Alrighty, here's a rush job of the vocal (equipped with edits ) I worked on earlier. After listening to the dry vocal mix again, the vox are a little loud so my apologies everyone! I'm uploading the dry vox and its mix, the eq'd vox and its mix and the instrumental track as well.

Hardware used:

-Stellar CM5
-Fast Track Ultra 8R

Try switching the impedance setting from 300 ohm to 1.2 kohm and jot down the differences in high end and bottom end.

This is one of the ways you can get different tonalities with that preamp's design.

A mic like the CM5 or a 251 for that matter are going to offer an extended top end and some of that information may or may not flatter the vocalist. You are doing some stacking in a hip hop setting and whats really more of an issue I feel is how much accentuated high end is actually reaching the compressor BEFORE compression, rather than the amount of compression itself.

I think that if you can set the impedance on the GAP to roll off some of the top end of the microphone it will help more than hurt because once it feeds into the compression chain it will be a bit more muted in the highs. You can always dial back in that extra crisp if you really feel you need it.

Worth a shot and definitely I feel a path to getting a better sound out of your chain.

I track with 10 to 15 GR of compression between 2 devices, usually a VCA + Opto or Opto + VCA combination and the sibilance isn't coming from the compression so to speak but the microphone placement, in conjunction with the preamp choice and gain staging.

Also, try putting that microphone's diaphragm with the microphone standing up at forehead level and see how the top end sounds. Don't tilt your head back to aim your mouth at the capsule, moreso the mic is picking up the energy/air from your mouth, not your mouth. For more detail tilt the microphone forward to get that extra lil' bit of detail you may or may not need. For darker sounds straight at the forehead may sound best. As well you can lower the height to be closer to your mouth or your nose.

Try between your nose and your top lip too for the diaphragm's height.

Peace
Illumination

JJ Audio Mic on Facebook!
**JJ Audio Custom Mics and Mods!!**

JJ Audio Mics Email (Langston/Sales and Customer Support)

Artists recently recorded with JJ Audio Mics:
The Goonies (Hip Hop/Experimental)(My Band)
Ronnie Spector, Baby Bash, Paula DeAnda, Z-Ro, Slim Thug and the list continues to grow...

http://soundcloud.com/illacov/jj-cd-vo-demo
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MadGuitrst
You know what?

There's always the theoretical. the tried and true, the by the book, the standard method, etc., but there isn't a right or wrong, just results, and sometimes the best rules are those that are broken.

So, even if he were just running through the PBS for color, well.....if it works, it works.

Point? Whatever D is doing is working.......it sounds good to me.
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
You know what?

There's always the theoretical. the tried and true, the by the book, the standard method, etc., but there isn't a right or wrong, just results, and sometimes the best rules are those that are broken.
...well said, MG..after all, we're talkin' 'art' not 'science' here...but with keeping that in mind, the more varied approaches tried (ethical or otherwise), the more likely that a preferred result will be found...

...and it's the finished product that counts...while we often have a habit of over-critiquing, a raw solo'ed vocal is not necessarily the judging point, but ultimately how the vocal track sits/performs in the mix...
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Just curious: has Stellar always charged $44.95 for priority mail (USPS) shipping and handling? A priority mail flat rate box is $15 or so, so that's about $30 for "handling." Seems kinda steep. What am I missing?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
I like illacov's point. it's a good reminder to the OP that with some compressors the loudest part of the signal can alter the sound of the other frequencies in ways you can predict a bit when you get used to it.

the HF points are interesting and worth experimenting with, I agree with illacov. I'm not a huge fan of lots of HF air with hip hop vocals... probably just what I'm used to though in my limited experience (caveat: I'm NOT a hip hop expert by any means LoL)

but overall it's a cool sound so far...
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Just curious: has Stellar always charged $44.95 for priority mail (USPS) shipping and handling? A priority mail flat rate box is $15 or so, so that's about $30 for "handling." Seems kinda steep. What am I missing?
...Peter has always shipped Priority to keep the potential for damage in transit to a minimum (and Peter double-boxes)...the CM-5/CM-6 aluminum flight case comes in it's own box which is too big to fit in the large flate rate box, and with the additional bubble wrap to protect the product, it has to ship in a larger carton in which shipping cost is determined by weight (13-14 lbs) and overall dimensions...factor in the additional cost for shipping materials, $400 insurance, and delivery confirmation, and there's no appreciable profit in the shipping equation...
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

I've got one coming in the mail! Can't wait!
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Peter has always shipped Priority to keep the potential for damage in transit to a minimum (and Peter double-boxes)...the CM-5/CM-6 aluminum flight case comes in it's own box which is too big to fit in the large flate rate box, and with the additional bubble wrap to protect the product, it has to ship in a larger carton in which shipping cost is determined by weight (13-14 lbs) and overall dimensions...factor in the additional cost for shipping materials, $400 insurance, and delivery confirmation, and there's no appreciable profit in the shipping equation...
Thanks for the clarification, the charges threw me a bit when I was finally ready to take the plunge.

You provided a link to a matched set of tubes like the ones you recommend on ebay, but that was a few weeks ago, and those are gone. See any more you get a good vibe from?
19th January 2012
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Thanks for the clarification, the charges threw me a bit when I was finally ready to take the plunge.

You provided a link to a matched set of tubes like the ones you recommend on ebay, but that was a few weeks ago, and those are gone. See any more you get a good vibe from?
...yeah, that was a particularly good deal on a pair of NOS 6072 tubes...unfortunately, deals like that don't pop up much these days...I've sent you a PM with contact info for a reliable tube dealer I've used who has reasonable prices...you might want to contact him and see what he has available...you may also want to contact GS member 'BOWIE' who has a good rep around here for tubes...but, not too worry, as the stock Electro Harmonix 6072A doesn't sound bad at all...and, as with most good tube mics, the CM-5 continues to improve as it burns in...Good Luck!...
20th January 2012
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

I just got mine today and tested my vocals on it singing..
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

My brand new CM-5 is up for sale if anyone is interested. Great mic, just not right for me. Not enough sheen/clarity in the upper end for my vocal tastes.

Message me if interested.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
...Not enough sheen/clarity in the upper end for my vocal tastes.
Sounds like you're looking for the sound of the CM6, which has the nicest high end I've ever heard in any mic - including some classics at mega thousands of $$$.
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Yep. Know anyone that wants to trade?

I wonder how the CM-6 compares with the CAD M9?
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

I don't have any personal experience with a CAD M9, I have the CAD E300, which is a wonderful mic, but in a direct shootout with the CM5 and CM6 on 3 voices that I used the CAD on all the time, the Stellars sounded way better. The CM6 had the clearest, airiest highs I'd ever heard, while the rich lows and mids of the CM5 sounded exactly like I've always wanted my wife's voice to sound like on the CAD, but never did.

After the shootout I ended up ordering both mics. The CAD hasn't been used since.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Gear Head

Location: Wherever the gig is at. Moving about every 2 years.

Finally had a chance to really work with my CM5 today.

WOW!!!

With some mic placement adjustments, I got the vocal to sit right in front of me coming out of the speakers. Top end was beautiful. Didn't seem dull or manipulated at all. Sounded just like the vocal.

Going to record some tenor sax with it on Monday.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Actually, there's at least a 20 dollar markup in that shipping price. When I sold my CM5, I shipped it out the exact same way Peter shipped it to me. Shipping total with insurance came to 17 bucks.

Quote:
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search