Login / Register

Anyone else's Yamaha HS50m's buzz like a fridge?
New Reply
Subscribe
hopeless_opus
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else's Yamaha HS50m's buzz like a fridge?

Last week I picked up a used pair of Yamaha HS50m's for a great price. They're in excellent shape and I really like how they sound (I like NS10's fwiw), however, they buzz/hiss quite a bit. It's actually annoying having them on with nothing playing thru them, even from a few feet back I can hear it. I've tried several solutions, switching power strips, etc, and I don't believe this is any kind of grounding issue. My KRK RP5's only hiss a tiny bit in comparison and it's nothing you hear unless you put your ear right up to the tweeter. I personally prefer the Yamaha's to the KRK's and would happily take them back and pick up a new pair, however, I'm a bit concerned about Yamaha's QC.

Anyone else have buzz/hiss issues with their HS50m's?

Thanks!
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
My 80's have a slight hiss to them if that means anything.
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Gear nut

My HS-50s has the exact same problem I think.
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Do they keep the beers cold though, that is the question.

My hs80s hiss too but they are quite sensitive to interference from ground noise etc, pick up quite a bit of noise from my laptop. Are they both buzzing the same amount? Does each buzz on it's own with nothing else connected?
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ckreon
Ultimately the HS50's are a consumer-grade monitor, so they have some corners cut in a few areas. I love mine to death, but they have a pretty high self-noise level (due mostly to their amplifiers).
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Mine are extremely quiet with the volume at half way.
Nothing audible over the quiet whirr of my computer fans anyhow......at full volume with nothing attached they hiss a bit too much for working a couple feet away.

When I connect the interface & monitor switching with them at full volume I also get some hum but clearly this is from the rest of the system so not self noise.

Set at half volume there is no appreciable noise & still plenty volume for home use at 2 feet from my ears.
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Gear maniac

I have my H50's plugged into my Duet interface. They sound fine when the computer is on, interface is on, etc... As soon as I put the computer to sleep,
the buzzing starts. If I unplug the cable from the speakers, the buzzing seems to stop. It is really annoying and I end up using headphones for most tasks as a result. I used to have the Macki 824's and they didn't do this. I think they have a feature that puts the monitor amps to sleep after a while.

I like the H50's but the buzzing is, well, a buzz-kill.
hopeless_opus
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

They seem to do it regardless what I try, the volume knob also has zero effect. I have them hooked up to a Duet2 fwiw.

That said, I've forced myself to live with them for a few days now and I've come around to thinking it's a small trade off for what they deliver. I put my KRK RP5's back up and immediately missed the detail and mid-range punch of the HS50's.

I still have a few weeks to return them, so we'll see, but right now I'm digging the HS50's.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
Please contact Yamaha. I'm quite sure they would like to know what's going on. And they will help you out I'm sure.... It's a proud company.

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
hopeless_opus
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Since I bought them used I don't know if they'd be willing to do much for me. It's too bad yamaha doesn't build these to a higher spec. I'm going to give them a few more days, but as much as I like them for what they are, I'm 50-50 on whether or not I'll take them back. The buzz/hiss really is a buzz kill, lol.

As much as KRK gets slagged on here, the RP5's are def built like tanks, even if they leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear addict

Make sure you feed them clean balanced power and that there are no light circuits on your power to the monitors.
This maybe the hiss.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear interested

I have HS80s and had a similar problem with noise. It turned out the noise was caused by my CPU. All I had to do was go into the BIOS and turn off a couple settings. The main one I recall turning off was called C1E. It's basically a CPU halt state that adjusts the voltage going to the CPU based on work load. Anyway, something to check and it has the advantage of being a free fix.
hopeless_opus
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

So, I ended up returning the HS50's. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions on how to mitigate the noise. I really think that if Yamaha built these to a higher spec they could be great speakers, but for me they just didn't work out.

I guess I'll stick with my RP5's for now and save up for a set of Dynaudios, Adams, or maybe NS10's and a good amp. the search goes on...
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Gear maniac

That's too bad, they are decent speakers.

I have a pair which I use to start all mixes with - no hiss, no noise, no buzz. They are connected to a Central Station, I feed them with cables I made and they run on a different power circuit than the rest of the system. Even with the central station up full - I get just a hint of hiss - almost inaudible.
I run them at about 83dBspl so they are plenty loud too.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Hey we use the HS 50's and never had a problem with them. Occasionally we pair them up with KRK vxt6's and they hold up fine. Never had any buzzing or weird noises. We use the XLR inputs and have the volume knob in the back straight up the middle w/ all the EQ's set flat. We like the 50's, solid speakers at a good price. We use an old Boston Sound Works sub w/ them as well.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've seen a couple of threads asking about noise with the hsm's on here before so may be some QC issues...

Sent from my U20i using Gearslutz.com
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear maniac

I was doing some experimenting with my 50's. The buzz is definitely there and it's annoying.

Then I put a ground lift plug on each power cord for the 50's.

Problem solved! They are quiet as can be. Virtually no hiss and no buzzing.

It may not be the safest thing to do, but it worked for me.

They sound really nice.

Last edited by kozsak; 15th November 2011 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: details
hopeless_opus
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hey kozsak, do you have a link to what you used for a ground lift plug? I tried the usual grey three to two adapter, but it had no effect for me. Thanks.

I'm kind of curious if picking up a new set would make any difference, since the ones I had were used, even though they were in immaculate condition. That said, I checked out the floor model at the store, and they seemed to buzz/hiss same as the ones I had.
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Gear maniac

Yeah, I used the standard old-school grey ground lift plugs you get at the hardware store.

FYI I think there is a ground "mismatch" between my Mac/Duet and the ground on the speaker. However, both the mac and the 50's are on the same outlet strip. I tried different configs and nothing helped until the ground lift plug.

If I were to unplug the audio-in cable from the speaker, the buzz would go away. It only buzzed when connected to the Duet.

So, I've been using the speakers all night with no problems. They really sound nice. It's a relief to not hear the buzz and hiss anymore.
hopeless_opus
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Unfortunately the ones I had buzzed no matter what, plugged in, not plugged in, different power strips, ground lifts, you name it. Oh well, thanks anyway.
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Make sure the cables that run to your monitors aren't parallel w/any power lines either in the wall or anywhere else. And also any other power supplies/conditioners etc.
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless_opus View Post
Unfortunately the ones I had buzzed no matter what, plugged in, not plugged in, different power strips, ground lifts, you name it. Oh well, thanks anyway.
So, even with no cables plugged in to the speaker, and volume off you hear a buzz?

What if you took one speaker into another room on a different circuit, if possible? Just as a test.

Weird.

Last edited by kozsak; 15th November 2011 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: details
hopeless_opus
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

I took them back already, so any more experimenting is unfortunately out of the question, but yeah, they buzzed no matter what. Disconnecting them from the interface and changing the level on the speakers didn't make any difference. No matter what I tried, the buzz/hiss remained consistent.

My KRK RP5's are really quiet by comparison, using the same cables, power strip, etc. Is it possible I'd have better luck with a new pair?

I have to admit that I'm hesitant to try.
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Head

Mine are also quiet with the volume at half.
16th November 2011
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Head

I keep my volume at half and they arent loud at all. Theyre hooked up to a Duet 2 and plugged in to a power conditioner. I mean... i guess there is a tiny TINY hiss that can only really be heard if you put your ear right next to them, but my macbook fan is wayyyy louder. And i figure that would happen with any speaker that is turned on.

Ive heard people say they hiss and buzz, but that is certainly not the case with mine.
23rd January 2012
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested

First thing to check...Don't put the Instrument cable over a power cord ( This could cause the 60 cycle hum ) You could also have the volume pretty high and they just buzz.But yea it def sounds like a 60 cycle hum
23rd January 2012
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear nut

I had the same problem and it was caused by both my Macbook powersupply and my extra monitor.As soon as I unplugged the powersupply on the Macbook,it stops.And when I unplug my monitor it also stops.I bought ground lift and I plug both speakers and the extra monitor in it.Problem solved.Very quiet speakers the problem has to be a wiring one of some sort or something is broken.
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

WOW I HAD ALL THOSE PROBLEMS..
I ordered some cables from redco.com an problems went away..
i have alarm..custom built computer,2 24inch monitors ,fax machine..internet and other electric stuff..had radio signal and all..monitors was going crazy..
the redco wires silence all that..trust me..
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

One of my HS50M monitors has the annoying fridge sounding buzz. It drives me insane. Its only on the channel with my MPC though. Another thing that is odd is that the white power lights (Yamaha symbol) are different colors. One is super bright and the one that is buzz has a yellowish color to it. Does this mean my monitor needs repair?
4th April 2012
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Mine buzz when I use my wireless mouse for my 27 " iMac. The "flick " feature on the mouse that scrolls the page is when I get a weird "digital buzzing" sound. It's odd.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search