MR816 ad/da - blind test
New Reply
Subscribe
Chris4175
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear interested

MR816 ad/da - blind test

Hey, so I was thinking about getting some choice outboard, but not much point unless my converters are good.

I decided to see how they sounded, so I ran 2 short clips from commercial tracks ripped as wavs using eac.

I ran each one out and straight back in 4 times, matching levels as best I could.

My thinking was once for single track processing, once for group bus processing, once for 2-bus, and once for luck!

Idea was to see if the sound had noticeably deteriorated by the end.

I.e. if I can't hear a difference then my converters are fine in practice.

Two questions:

1) am I missing anything which means that this doesn't work (e.g. should have done more passes)

2) Does anyone want to hear the two blind and see if in practice the diff is noticeable?

Chris
Chris4175
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear interested

1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear nut

I can't listen to the files as I'm at work, and i don't think my computer's inbuilt speaker will help me one bit, but am interested to hear peoples guesses!

You should post this in the comparisons forum too.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

File A is louder, somewhat more compressed, mono, flat, lifeless, with a high freq boost, it also sounds like crap

File B sounds great

So Im guessing file A is the audio after the four passes and B is the original material.

There´s a thread somewhere, probably in the shoutouts section, of 10+ passes of material... none of them sounded as bad as these four passes here, so maybe cables or board or something else is messing up the sound. Or maybe you´re driving the audio through the MR816 pres?

Whatever it is, the result is beyond bad conversion, more like a speaker effect.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear interested

Did you use the inserts on channels 1 & 2 for this test, thereby bypassing the built-in pre-amps?

Or, did you just plug into the pre-amps mic inputs?

If the latter, then the test is flawed as the pre-amps are affecting the signal each time as well, not just the converters...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search