Art Tube MP vs Presonus Tube Pre
New Reply
Subscribe
blayz2002
28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Art Tube MP vs Presonus Tube Pre

I need something quick and cheap to finish a couple of projects.

Art Tube MP or Presonus Tube Pre. It's only for Vocals witha AT4033a.

"This is what I love about mixing though ...it's never the same twice"!

Late 2012 3.4Ghz Core i7 iMac, 16GB Ram, Fusion Drive 1.12TB, Mavericks, Seagate GoFlex 2TB Ext USB3 HDD, Apogee Duet 1 FW, Logic X, UAD Satellite Duo, QCon Pro, Blue Sky Media Desk
28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Gear addict

Neither!

get an M-Audio DMP3
28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to 69 Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002
Art Tube MP or Presonus Tube Pre. It's only for Vocals with a AT4033a.
If you are really dead set on one of those two pres, I'd say go for the presonus.

It's a little on the cleaner side between the two.

Personally, I'd say the tube mp is more of a character piece that is cool every once in a while. You wouldn't want to track a whole song with it, but it can be nice on certain bass tracks and although not always, it's sometimes actually quite good on kick. YMMV

If you can save up a little more you might want to look into something like the GT Brick as well.

Regards,

Chris
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Gear nut

Check out these tracks I did using Presonus Firbox with Tubepre. This one http://web.mac.com/a.daleclark/iWeb/Site/Movie.html I used the Tubepre on the electric Guitar layer (very faint, panned toward left starting at "james bond section" and at bridge). I also used the Tubepre on this track http://homepage.mac.com/a.daleclark/...eTheater8.html. The Bass guitar and acoustic guitars went thru Tubepre. The tubepre is quite quiet and for $99 worth having for charactor...even if you get better pre's in the future.
blayz2002
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'm defiantely gonna get The Brick soon, gotta wait for the next cheque to come in. As I need some thing real quick I'm leaning to the Tube Pre, I should be able to use it on Bass once I get The Brick...thanks for the input.
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Gear nut

i was in your same position not too long ago and i went with the presonus. i have to admit the Presonus Tube Pre is really inexpensive, but i have to say that i'm very disappointed with it. IMO it doesn't sound much better than a Mackie VLZ PRO mic pre. i've never used the Art Tube MP but i've been told it's a decent mic pre. if i had to do it all over again and get a cheapo mic pre i'd go with a Studio Projects mic pre...i think it's called a vtb-1. or maybe a joemeek....anything other than presonus. vtb-1 gets a lot of arount here.
blayz2002
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronster
i was in your same position not too long ago and i went with the presonus. i have to admit the Presonus Tube Pre is really inexpensive, but i have to say that i'm very disappointed with it. IMO it doesn't sound much better than a Mackie VLZ PRO mic pre. i've never used the Art Tube MP but i've been told it's a decent mic pre. if i had to do it all over again and get a cheapo mic pre i'd go with a Studio Projects mic pre...i think it's called a vtb-1. or maybe a joemeek....anything other than presonus. vtb-1 gets a lot of arount here.

Hmmmmmm....youre making me think now, petty I can't test them out befor hand.
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

I'd definitely pick the VTB-1 over either that you've listed. You can dial in the "toob" if you want it, or have a completely solid state path. Overall, a quiet pre with plenty of gain.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear maniac

joemeek 3q is better than both, though a bit more expensive. the brick is better than all of them though. the art and presonous are colorful tools with some but limited use.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear maniac

Not entirely sure where it came from, but I have the Presonus tube pre in the botttom of a pile of stuff in my studio. I have yet to find a use for it...

Actually, it's not bad as a doorstop-- the little rubber feet help.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
Not entirely sure where it came from, but I have the Presonus tube pre in the botttom of a pile of stuff in my studio. I have yet to find a use for it...

Actually, it's not bad as a doorstop-- the little rubber feet help.
LOL, "doorstop"!!! that is a good idea. i guess i can use mine in the same way since it never gets used on my tracks.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to Fast420A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronster
LOL, "doorstop"!!! that is a good idea. i guess i can use mine in the same way since it never gets used on my tracks.
You guys that are using the PreSonus as a door stop...go ahead and find a little cardboard box that it will fit in, write my address on it and I will put it to good use. Thanks.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear interested

Yeah, no kidding about sending me one. I'm actually in the market for one because I'm mega lowend and if you want to get rid of you doorstop tubepre (I mean Presonus Tubepre) let me know! I'll take it off your hands if the price is right.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear maniac

Seriously though... I second the M-Audio DMP3 recommendation above. Not a world-class pre, but in that price range it can't be beat... it won't add a lot of color, but then again it won't add a lot of bad color.
blayz2002
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

Well I went out and got the Presonus tube pre...hmmmmmmm! not sure really...

Thing is just previous to this I was having to use the pres on my behringer ADA 800 (which I did not buy for that purpose, only to use the line in's and the ADAT) And yes they are crap very thin and lacking any character all, I just can't use those.

The only reason I was using those was because I got some sort of prob with the pre's on my EMU 1820m, now I didn't really have anything to compare those to befor except a Joe Meek VC3 (the old ones) which I was not that keen on (so sold it) and the 1820m's a lot cleaner, a little clinical but seemed to have more headroom and I use to warm the signal up in the box. Now the Tube Pre is defo warmer sounding (even with the tube drive at 0) but lacks some of that high end detail I was geting with the 1820m.

At the mo I got the Tube Pre for a week befor I can not get a exchange or refund. So I might just go try the Studio Projects and then the new VC3 which apparently sounds better than the one I used to have.....but really I'm saving for a Brick in the longer run!
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear nut

i totally understand your position because that's why i got the presonus pre in the first place as well. and i 100% agree with the idea of saving up and getting another pre like the VC3 or a Brick. i'm probably going to get one of those or the VTB-1 really soon. i also tracked through an Onyx 800 not too long ago and i was REALLY impressed. i wish i could go out and buy 20 different pres and try them all out over a weekend but i'm too low end for that. soo many pres, so little money.
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear maniac

Yes, the Presonus will certainly out-pre the Behringer stuff.

And I had the same experience with an Emu 1820 at home... the pres shat the bed. Not too uncommon, I hear.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002
I need something quick and cheap to finish a couple of projects.

Art Tube MP or Presonus Tube Pre. It's only for Vocals witha AT4033a.
I haven't tried the PreSonus Tube pre but if they sound anything like the Blue Tube or Digitube (I've owned both) it will BLOW away the ART Tube pre (I own the original model)

I think the Presonus will most likely pleasantly surprize you and the ART will most likely disappoint you, at least that was my reaction. ( I do think the ART sounds good as a bass DI though)

Best of luck.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Gear addict

I tried ART once and will never make that error again
blayz2002
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
Yes, the Presonus will certainly out-pre the Behringer stuff.

And I had the same experience with an Emu 1820 at home... the pres shat the bed. Not too uncommon, I hear.
Sorry to go off topic

Are yours totally gone? have you got them working ok?
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Gear maniac

Totally gone. 17 days after warranty, naturally...
11th December 2008
Old 11th December 2008
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to philoking Send a message via MSN to philoking
Presonus TubePRE

I purchased this to add some warmth to vocals in a project studio and I have to say I have been very dissapointed. My main pre is the on board pre in the Behringer MX-9000 mixer. I have tried this little box before the chain, in an insert and as an aux send merged to another channel and no matter how I run it, and no matter how low I set it, I get unwanted distortion when recording loud vocals. Doesn't matter how far back from the mic or anything, it's just dirty.
16th February 2010
Old 16th February 2010
Gear interested

Presonus Tube Pre

I have a Presonus Tube Pre and I think it sounds decent. I read on some forums that you should swap out the tube for a different 12ax7 and I agree that it did improve the sound quite a bit. A few days after this experiment, I saw a UA LA610 on Craigslist for $800, so I decided to upgrade. I still have the Tube Pre but I don't use it. With the Tube Pre and Waves Plugins, I can get a pretty good sound. I sometimes consider selling the LA610 and sticking with the TubePre and Waves- but I can't quite bear to do that yet. I mean, I'm a hobbyist not a pro recording guy. I A/B'd the Presonus and v the LA610 (preamp only- no eq or comp) and the guy selling the LA610 and I agreed that the Presonus still sounded pretty good. It definitely sounded better than the pres in my Presonus Firebox. The last time I used the TubePre was as a pre between my Taylor acoustic and a cheap circa 1990 low wattage basement type pa. It definitely improved the tone and took some harshness out of the cheap pa. I'm no gear expert, but I think a tube swap helps. I've heard the M-audio DMP3 as a sample on a home recording course on preamps and I did think it sounded pretty good. They demoed a few models including the LA610. The course concluded that preamps aren't all that important, but that an ultra cheap one like the Behringer MIC2200 could give a cheap sound to your recordings. A good EQ like a Waves EQ can really do a lot to compensate for different pres and mics. Still, if I didn't have the Waves plugins, I would say the LA610 using the EQ and compressor kicks the crap out of my TubePre and the standard Cubase SX3 plugins I was using.

Anyway, like I said, I haven't tried much gear out in my life, so that's my 2 cents. Oh, I'd like to plug the Presonus Firestudio Mobile as quite an upgrade soundwise to the Firebox. I've only recorded two songs with it, but so far I like what I'm hearing.
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Presonus Tubepre

I've just dusted one of these little Tubepres off and it works! I've had it for years, loaned it out and it came back to me silent! It's a miracle that it's healed itself!

I wasnt amazed by it back in the day, i've heard some say that it sounds much better if you change the tube.

I've never changed a tube in my long lifetime! Which tubes are recommended and where does one go to purchase a tube???

cheers
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
I've just dusted one of these little Tubepres off and it works! I've had it for years, loaned it out and it came back to me silent! It's a miracle that it's healed itself!

I wasnt amazed by it back in the day, i've heard some say that it sounds much better if you change the tube.

I've never changed a tube in my long lifetime! Which tubes are recommended and where does one go to purchase a tube???

cheers
Hmmm! Just had a forum nose and people say not to bother because the tube change wont turn into magic! I just hate having things lying around which arent been used - like my trakmaster too!
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
Hmmm! Just had a forum nose and people say not to bother because the tube change wont turn into magic! I just hate having things lying around which arent been used - like my trakmaster too!
Than give it AWAY!!! You don't know, there are some people who could put that thing to good use! I know a few! :D

PrimatCity TV interviews....

with Chali 2na
P.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie3to1r5scI
P.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=018G_agtqQA

with Pharoahe Monch
P.3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8F6MRiCuiY

Plus Spliff Star, Cunninlynguist, Smiff-n-Wessun and many more.... Check it out today!!!
28th July 2011
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Than give it AWAY!!! You don't know, there are some people who could put that thing to good use! I know a few! :D
ha ha, MISTA MIN! if i was in Germany and you pleaded with me earnestly there would be half a chance that my generous nature would kick in.

But as you're so very far away from th UK I may just see what the thing sounds like with a vintage tube after all.

Who knows! It just might be the perfect nose flute pre! :¬)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search