focusrite saffire 40 versus 56
New Reply
Subscribe
chris_hta
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

focusrite saffire 40 versus 56

I was pretty much set on buying the saffire 40 then the 56 caught my eye. is it really worth the extra couple of hundred pounds for the liquid preamps?
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I heard nothing but good about the Liquid Pres and the way they can be tweeked...i own the pro 40 and some mid ranged external pres, if all was damaged or stolen, id consider the 56 and not buy external pres for replacment....
ndv
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
ndv
Gear Head

if you have the extra to spend get the pro 40 and an octopre thats sixteen channels in the same space as the 56
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
Gear addict

I enjoyed my Focusrite 56 very much, the liquid pre's really do have sonic differences that are noticeable on them.

For what price they're offering these at, it's worth it IMO.

I did however get to a point in mixing where using a unit like these was no longer sufficient, as their processors get "taxed" heavily when adding vst/au/rtas plugins on channels and it will start to perform slowly, causing you to really push back your latency.

The best thing that I found to do when using these is to track at lower volumes (less than -12db, more than -25db) to get a solid sound that's not distorted (in a bad way).

I would track EVERYTHING that you're going to be tracking to the mix BEFORE you start to add plugins, esp. on the 2 bus mix out of your DAW. If you don't do this, and begin "pre-mixing" (which I now realize isn't correct at all!) you'll have serious latency issues and the delay will be noticeable on the headphone mixes to the players recording and will cause problems.

Other than following simple steps that we should all follow in workflow, this unit is great for what it is!

-John Lennon

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives."

-Tolstoy
7th September 2011
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think concept behing Liquid Pres are worth every penny!!!

P.S. I am happy Pro 26 and 40 user
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

always_ending, how many tracks were you working with to get it to slow up?
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Gear maniac

IMO the liquid pre's are defenitely worth it. Also keep in mind, you get an extra 16 channels of ADAT I/O, but you lose your dual-unit opportunity.
chris_hta
8th September 2011
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

for what i'm working with, i doubt i'll exceed the number of inputs it offers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search