25th March 2006
Old 25th March 2006
Gear maniac

Extreme Isolation headphones EX-29

28th March 2006
Old 28th March 2006
Gear addict

Never

I've never seen those for less than $89.

You might want to check out Vic Firth Isolation Headphones (sub-$50)
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Lives for gear

I have them, but I paid $89.

$89 is actually a reduced price from six months ago when they were selling for $115.

I have enjoyed mine, find them quite useful, and think they are worth $89 -- only because there isn't any real competition. In a few years that could be different.

I think frontendaudio.com is still selling them with a free headphone extension cord. You'll want one of those, and they run about $10, so you can save some money overall.

- Jim
30th March 2006
Old 30th March 2006
Gear nut

31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomky
They are decent tracking phones. The do not isolate anywhere as near as the Extremes.

I use both and recommend both.
31st March 2006
Old 31st March 2006
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to dejacky
Thumbs down

Extreme Isolation Headphones are GARBAGE IMHO. I know because i have them. I don't use them anymore because they broke. At the most, I'd pay ~$30 for these headphones, $89 is a complete waste. Don't believe me? Try laying down live acoustic drum set tracks to accompanying music using these headphones .
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Gear nut

beyer

Beyer dynamic dt300

I don't know if you have them in the states

stephen
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacky
waste. Don't believe me? Try laying down live acoustic drum set tracks to accompanying music using these headphones .

In the many times I've had drummers do exactly this, Ive had no problem, and no click bleed!

not great sounding cans, but very isolating, hence the name and the usage.

"what is it you cant face"
"I'm a country member"
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
Nope, certainly not great sounding by a longshot, but cheap isolation compared to others -- like the Beyer the other poster mentioned.
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Gear nut

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
In the many times I've had drummers do exactly this, Ive had no problem, and no click blead!

My point was not that they are decent at preventing the recording mics from picking up sounds from the headphones, but these headphones DO NOT ISOLATE ENOUGH EXTERNAL NOISE TO HEAR WHAT IS PLAYING IN THE HEADPHONES while playing an acoustic drumset. The only way, I can see a drummer doing this is cranking the volume in these headphones to ear damaging volumes. The extreme isolation headphones DO NOT provide enough external noise isloation to play a live drumset to music being played in the headphones.

I'm cautious about my hearing and just got my ears tested by my doctor and according to the audiologist, my hearing is perfect . After publically posting my review of these extreme isolation headphones, several others on www.homerecording.com/bbs also admitted these headphones absolutely SUCK for drummer headphones since you can't hear the friggin music without blasting the shit out of hte headphones. I'm not lying, I just don't like others to waste their money on these Extreme Isolation headphones by buying into Internet Forum HYPE.

I don't like the kleenex wire quality wires either. Overall, I think the quality of these Extreme Isolation headphones is crap and they are not worth more than $30 maximum IMHO.

I'm a simple end user and have no affiliation with the manufacturer, nor do I have any inclination to help the sales of these headphones because I have "buddies" in the biz.
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
My point was not that they are decent at preventing the recording mics from picking up sounds from the headphones, but these headphones DO NOT ISOLATE ENOUGH EXTERNAL NOISE TO HEAR WHAT IS PLAYING IN THE HEADPHONES while playing an acoustic drumset. The only way, I can see a drummer doing this is cranking the volume in these headphones to ear damaging volumes. The extreme isolation headphones DO NOT provide enough external noise isloation to play a live drumset to music being played in the headphones

Im confused... You must struggle with any set of headphones than, since the EX-29's isolate more external noise than the majority of headphones i've come across... If not all of them.

Having to crank the music louder? Im confused again... why would have you to turn the volume up in the cans louder than with any other set of headphones? You cannot hear the music over the external sounds of the kit? You don't have a monitor mix? If anything, using the EX-29's allows for quieter playback because the EX-29's reduce the external sounds more than any other headphones i've used.

I've tracked quite a few drummers including myself, all wearing the EX-29's and have never had a problem...

Your complaints just seem to contradict themselves...
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
DO NOT ISOLATE ENOUGH EXTERNAL NOISE TO HEAR WHAT IS PLAYING IN THE HEADPHONES while playing an acoustic drumset. .

you could always put a bank vault on your head!
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

I agree if you have problems with to much external drum sound with the extreme headphones. The drummer must be really really loud. There could be better isolation out there, although they drop the outside noises down a lot.
Drummers love these, alot do not care there not hyped. I have had a few singers who like them as well. Which I found strange with the isoldation.
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Gear nut

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy
You cannot hear the music over the external sounds of the kit?
Yes... . These headphones are extremely hyped and do not live true to their name. I highly recommend everyone to stay away from these headphones if you value your money. Spend it on properly designed headphones.
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Yes... . These headphones are extremely hyped and do not live true to their name. I highly recommend everyone to stay away from these headphones if you value your money. Spend it on properly designed headphones.
Can you give some examples of headphones you have used that isolated better?
1st April 2006
Old 1st April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

What headphones do work for you then? They really must be a bank vault...

It still seems a contradiction. What are "properly designed heaphones"? I have some high end cans that I use for close listening and you can still hear a penny drop with them on... They sound great and certianly fall under "properly designed headphones. I would have to turn the headphone volume up much louder with these while tracking drums than with the EX-29's.

...and like other people have pointed out, the EX-29's work great for me.
3rd April 2006
Old 3rd April 2006
Lives for gear

I tracked a project recently over two days with two drummers. We were essentially live in the room with half the band going without headphones and the drummer and bassist choosing the Extremes. The two drummers and the bassist loved the Extremes.

FWIW, Direct Sound recently updated the drivers. For you guys who were wanting a more modern headphone sound from them you got nothing to complain about now.
3rd April 2006
Old 3rd April 2006
Lives for gear

I own 6 pair of EX-29's, which drummers and other musicians seem to love for tracking. I've bought them in pairs over the course of a few years, and they are different sounding now than they used to be. IMO, the old ones seem to work better than the newest version, since they've changed the drivers in them. The old ones are very midrangy, but seem to give the musicians what they need to hear. The new ones, which seem a bit more balanced in tone end up having to be turned up louder to give the musicians the same sound. I think this is what has caused more blowouts recently.

Personally, I use the Remote Audio HN-7506 phones, which are 45 db of isolation with Sony 7506 drivers in them. But they are way nuts expensive ($285). I can really hear well enough to make critical mic choice and placement decisions while a drummer is slamming or a Marshall is jamming 3 feet from my head. Best $285 I ever spent.

You want excellent, you sometimes just gotta cough it up.
1st June 2006
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

What's with the five posts? I never used the older Extremes. The new ones sound very nice; more balanced than the 7506 drivers and surprisingly distort less at higher volumes. I've not been that impressed with the HN-7506. The sound is still not balanced coming from those drivers, and though they isolate more I find myself having to turn the music up louder to get the same level of resolution and separation. The special thing about the 7506/V6 drivers are the liquid midrange, but the upper base hump and glassy quality turns me off. For $300 it's not only partially inferior, but a poor cost/performance ratio.
1st June 2006
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Head

WTF? Did he change the design just in the last two months? I got my first pair 6 months ago and the second about 2 1/2 months ago. I'm using the older ones? Geez. I luv these things. I'm furious that he's changed them. The last three years searching for the perfect DJ headphone have come to an end. The HN-7506's are going back and I'm going to try and get another two pairs of the original EX-29's and put them in the closet.
1st June 2006
Old 1st June 2006
Gear nut

Angry

and let's not forget some of "the most reputable audio folks recommending the direct sound isoloation headphones" OWN STORES and SELL THESE HEADPHONES. The more headphones they sell, the more profit they make. I know it's a disgusting thought to think these people recommending them are bullshitting the community just to make more money. I don't own a store and I tell you these headphones SUCK for isolating external noise especially trying to lay down live acoustic drum set tracks to music in the headphones.

Now we're hearing that the Direct Sound extreme isolation headphones have undergone changes and revisions. You know why? BECAUSE many people caught on to the fact that they DO NOT "EXTREME[ly] ISOLATE SOUND!" Please folks, these headphones are a RIP OFF. Take it from someone who isn't trying to make money off of you, or help a "friend that owns a store."
2nd June 2006
Old 2nd June 2006
Jai guru deva om

I would not recommend dejacky use these headphones at this point. Based on the 99 to 100 ratio of folks who like them, I'd say dejacky is entitled to his / her opinion but may want to keep posting around the web about how evil Direct Sound is for 3 years straight to try and change those numbers. It's not like this is based on opinion I suppose...not when you just know you're "right". You're all WRONG!

Anyone else who wants a decent pair of isolation headphones that work well for tracking drummers etc, I would recommend giving them a shot. If they don't work out, I would then recommend calling the dealer to return them. I own 2 pair, and I want to say maybe one artist at the most ever asked to try something else during a session.

Signed, your friend who owns a store

War (evil, lying profiteer)

2nd June 2006
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

i use the vic firths for drum tracking but would have prolly bought the extreme isolation's if i lived in the us....

cheers
4th June 2006
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Head

I read on the net that the Howard Leight Thunder 29 NRR29 hearing protection headset was discontinued a few months back. That would explain the changes in design that were necessary. On another note, I tried DJing with the HN-7506 without any musicians earplugs on under them. While the music was certainly overwhelming with them off, with them on it was easier to mix than the old Extreme Isolation Headphone. So with ER-20 earplugs, the EIH is better. Without, the HN-7506 is better. This seems to just have to do with how well they handle exteme volumes. I tell you, it still surprises the hell out of me that the EIH can handle 500mW better than the 7506/V6 drivers do. I've been thinking about getting custom molds done up for ER-15 or ER-9 plugs, so that might get rid of my need to blast them up that high anymore. I also adjusted my carts to make them warmer and they are now less fatiguing with HN-7506 than with the higher VTA. The master out sounded very good, so I can just keep the config that way from now on, but interestingly I started to notice the midrangey-ness some have talked about on the EIH. The HN-7506 may have a little excess treble and upper base, but the Whitlabels were making this worse before. That imbalance may have been helping the EIH's sound. There seems to be an impedence issue on the EIH, too. With the new config they sound midrangey through my 24bit mixer, but connected to my HK reciever they're great. They also work well on a vintage SPDIF-capable Sony portable CD player I keep around. Due to the new Whitelabel sound and the mixer's jack impedence, I think I'll be keeping the HN-7506. They only isolate slightly better than the EIH and about the same as the ER4S, but as I said in the other review, it's different depending on the frequencies. They're definitely not as comfortable, but when DJing I take them on and off enough that over the course of 2.5 hours they did not become a problem. In contrast, the EIH was fine during a late night practice session in my apartment for about 3 hours without ever removing them. Not sure if it's totally necessary for me to get any more backups of the EIH, but I still need to do some more tests to be sure. Now I'm actually curious about the new version
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search