Question: Mbox and DPS II Digital Preamp
Old 15th August 2011
Gear interested

Question: Mbox and DPS II Digital Preamp

Hello every one,

I am new at recording but i think i am learning fast. I have an Mbox, pro tools 8, a couple of condenser mics (AT 220 and AKG perception 420), a couple of dynamics and I also have a tube pream. To record my stuff i did not need more than two channels beacause i never record drums. i have decided to start making arrangments on drums also so I would like to expand the channels on my mbox. My Mbox has only two channels, making my research on this forum, I Understand i can use my SPDIF channles so i could make it 4 channels. My question is simple, what type of cable do i need to go from my DPS II preamp SPDIF out to my Mbox SPDIF...looking at both jacks they look RCA in both ends. How could i connect them? i have doing my research and i cant find a RCA cable in both sides.

I have included photos of my connectors so you guys can see and help me if you hace the time for an advice. Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Question: Mbox and DPS II Digital Preamp-mbox.jpg   Question: Mbox and DPS II Digital Preamp-photopreamp.jpg  
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yareyale View Post
Hello every one,

I am new at recording but i think i am learning fast. I have an Mbox, pro tools 8, a couple of condenser mics (AT 220 and AKG perception 420), a couple of dynamics and I also have a tube pream. To record my stuff i did not need more than two channels beacause i never record drums. i have decided to start making arrangments on drums also so I would like to expand the channels on my mbox. My Mbox has only two channels, making my research on this forum, I Understand i can use my SPDIF channles so i could make it 4 channels. My question is simple, what type of cable do i need to go from my DPS II preamp SPDIF out to my Mbox SPDIF...looking at both jacks they look RCA in both ends. How could i connect them? i have doing my research and i cant find a RCA cable in both sides.

I have included photos of my connectors so you guys can see and help me if you hace the time for an advice. Thank you very much!
I'm confused. You can't find a cable with RCA connectors on both ends? That's got to be one of the most common cables out there!

Anyway, yeah, just find any cable that has RCA connectors on both ends and has an impedance of 75 Ohms. It might be called a digital RCA cable or something similar. You can usually find these at any electronics store, radio shack, and I would think most music stores, as well as probably a computer store. They'll usually have an orange band around the connector to denote that it's a digital cable (that really just means it's 75 Ohms). The regular ones you use to hook up the back of your stereo (red, white, and yellow) usually won't work due to noise issues, but the kind you use to hook up the digital audio out on the back of a DVD player (not the fiber optic kind) to the receiver will work.
Old 15th August 2011
you need a spdif cable and i would strongly recommend you dont get it at radio shack or any other cable for that matter.
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daez View Post
you need a spdif cable and i would strongly recommend you dont get it at radio shack or any other cable for that matter.
Well, SPDIF stands for Sony/Phillips Digital Interface and there are actually three common types of connectors for them. BNC, Toslink (optical), and RCA.

And what's wrong with Radioshack for something like this? For cables that transmit analog signals, you want something that keeps the noise and interference down. For SPDIF, however, it's a digital signal, so as long as it transmits the 1's and 0's properly, the sound will be the exact same. Just make sure the impedance is 75 Ohms and the connectors are RCA, and I can't think of any reason why you'd have a problem.
Old 15th August 2011
Gear interested

Got it ! Thank you very much everyone for your responses. I actually went to Radioshack and the guy confused me... HE did not know what type of connector was on my DPS II (i showed him the pictures i posted here) his advise was to go to a music store. I will look for the cable. Thank you very much and i hope this post helps some one else!

oh sorry about my english lol

best regards!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search