choosing the best record player on a budget
New Reply
Subscribe
houdinilogic
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear interested

choosing the best record player on a budget

not exactly sure if this fits the forum but, i'm going to start applying for jobs soon, so i can get some extra cash for all my wants, and i was hoping for some recommendations on a personal record player, just for home listening under 100 dollars or so.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdinilogic View Post
not exactly sure if this fits the forum but, i'm going to start applying for jobs soon, so i can get some extra cash for all my wants, and i was hoping for some recommendations on a personal record player, just for home listening under 100 dollars or so.
good and $100 is an oxymoron

i get a catalog of oddball stuff that usually has a few of them for that price with cd and cassette too - google for heartland america catalog

also google record player
i doubt any of them are "good"
but they should *work*
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear interested

you won't get an audiophile record player, but there is plenty of reasonable old record players that you can't scratch or pitch bend with that can be had for $100.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill Way Send a message via Skype™ to Bill Way
If you are very patient, you may find an AR turntable with the original arm for under $150... sometimes 'way below. Pioneer, Denon, Sony, Yamaha, and Marantz made serviceable units, and if you look through ebay you're sure to find a bunch of direct drive (Technics et al.) turntables. I'd avoid any turntables that were set up for P-mount cartridges, as they are getting hard to find now.

Look for completely manual direct-drive or belt-drive turntables - you don't want to be spending on auto-arm-returns or any other extras. There were lots of turntables with tiny synchronous motors and good bearings. And anything by Thorens is great.

I'm hoping you just need a turntable, and have a phono preamp. To get both for under a hundred bucks is really pushing it. Remember that the phono preamp amplifies the signal lots more than the amps powering your monitors, so skimping there is something you really don't want to do. You can generally find a Hafler, NAD, or Adcom preamp for $50-ish and they were actually listenable. Remember that preamps from the 70's or 80's may need re-capping.

There are a bunch of turntables that come with built-in phono preamps and A/D converters, with a USB output. Haven't heard any, and I'm not anxious to, but if you really want to try something cheap, they are that.

Kick the budget up a couple hundred and have some fun. Even a mediocre vinyl rig will surprise you.

WW
6th July 2011
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Head

Most cheap record players will destroy your vinyl. Especially anything <$100

If you have the wear-with-all and means...
...go for a Project III Debut.
You can find one on ebay used/new for $250-$400.
It'll treat your records right, and it sounds fantastic for the price.
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Gear maniac

Rega planar 3 (or p3)
Rega planar 2
Can get em dirt cheap and they rock!
Make sure it has the straight tubular arm made by rega not the older curved one.
Stick a moving coil cartridge on it and listen to your records come alive
8th July 2011
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

I second that or any of the Goldring Lenco Tables. If your really lucky you'll find a Heybrook TT2 for around 150.00 and that's a very accomplished table

Long Time Allen Heath and Presonus user!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search