Login / Register
 
List of Colored Mics?
New Reply
Subscribe
realmike15
Thread Starter
#1
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #1
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
List of Colored Mics?

Do we have a list anywhere of Colored Mics? Mics that are really distinctive in their characteristics, tonally unique. Something you pull out when you're looking for a particular sound, a sound distinctive to that mic.

To be clear, I'm not talking about HiFi, Neutral, or Faithful Representation. I mean something that deliberately alters the source. Anything from Cheap, to Vintage, to Niche Products.

Thanks
__________________
Click my Profile for a list of my gear.
Last.fm Profile for what I'm listening to these days.
#2
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,096

Chrisc_o is offline
Dollar store mics, mics bought from stores that have no business selling pro audio gear. They usually sound like ass and cost a couple of bucks at most.

Keeping in mind that no manufacturer makes it a point to make a "bad" sounding product (accuracy and good, clean sound is what everyone is really after) I'd suggest looking at your source for manipulating your tone, not the mic.

Record in bad sounding rooms. Put the mic in a cardboard box. Put the mic in the opposite spot you would normally put it (like behind the singer's head instead of in front). Tinfoil in front of your guitar speaker. Get creative with your sources and techniques and use whatever mics you already have.

THAT is what makes recording fun
#3
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,476

Bill@WelcomeHome is offline
The list of uncolored would be shorter, and would consist mostly of small diaphragm mics of the Schoeps/DPA types.
__________________
"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
realmike15
Thread Starter
#4
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #4
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Dollar store mics, mics bought from stores that have no business selling pro audio gear. They usually sound like ass and cost a couple of bucks at most.

Keeping in mind that no manufacturer makes it a point to make a "bad" sounding product (accuracy and good, clean sound is what everyone is really after) I'd suggest looking at your source for manipulating your tone, not the mic.

Record in bad sounding rooms. Put the mic in a cardboard box. Put the mic in the opposite spot you would normally put it (like behind the singer's head instead of in front). Tinfoil in front of your guitar speaker. Get creative with your sources and techniques and use whatever mics you already have.

THAT is what makes recording fun
I appreciate the reply, but there is a difference between Colored Mics and Bad Mics. One does not necessarily = the other.
#5
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #5
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 260

Jimbob131313 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post
I appreciate the reply, but there is a difference between Colored Mics and Bad Mics. One does not necessarily = the other.
I say erase this notion from you mind and just get creative with mic placement and the rooms you use. Unless your doing classical recording, get any respected LDC and your good to go my friend.
#6
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,096

Chrisc_o is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post
I appreciate the reply, but there is a difference between Colored Mics and Bad Mics. One does not necessarily = the other.
Hence the quotes around the word "bad". Bad as in "not accurate".

I was trying to say that no mic is really designed not to be accurate. Inaccurate or overly colored = bad in terms of mic design = what I was talking about.

Maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough?

At any rate, I find it silly to nit-pick considering the general theme of my post. Why not discuss the meat of the post rather than a single word?


Wait! I know of 2 now that I think of it: the Copperphone and those harp mics. Green Bullet is it?
realmike15
Thread Starter
#7
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Hence the quotes around the word "bad". Bad as in "not accurate".

I was trying to say that no mic is really designed not to be accurate. Inaccurate or overly colored = bad in terms of mic design = what I was talking about.

Maybe my explanation wasn't clear enough?

At any rate, I find it silly to nit-pick considering the general theme of my post. Why not discuss the meat of the post rather than a single word?


Wait! I know of 2 now that I think of it: the Copperphone and those harp mics. Green Bullet is it?
You had some great advice, but I don't agree with you that, anything other than totally accurate reproduction is bad mic design. That's all.
#8
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada (by Vancouver)
Posts: 4,060

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
dkelley is offline
wow guys, really?

it's not so hard.

apex 460 and the other rebrands of the same chinese tube mic.

colored. distorted. bright. compressed. and actually that combination works really well on some vocal things in some styles of music.

cad m9 - somewhat colored.

mxl 960 - darker colored tube
the other mxl tube mics - brighter colored tube

the various chinese ribbon mics (apex, fathead, etc) - various colors, some are relatively dark, the apex 205 is more neutral but does have some vibe to it.

cheap SDC mics (603 etc)... various shades of bright thin colors like light green, bright yellow... those are the colors I'd put for those mics LoL

mxl v67g - pleasant LDC vintagy type of color in the midrange...

then you can start getting into pricier mics and the other mics that are rebranded or subtly different versions of the same mics listed above (like MXL 9090 and so on for the mxl v67g/i)
realmike15
Thread Starter
#9
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #9
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob131313 View Post
I say erase this notion from you mind and just get creative with mic placement and the rooms you use. Unless your doing classical recording, get any respected LDC and your good to go my friend.
I do use Placement and Room effects to get particular sounds. But I'm looking for mics to help me with that process.
realmike15
Thread Starter
#10
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #10
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
wow guys, really?

it's not so hard.

apex 460 and the other rebrands of the same chinese tube mic.

colored. distorted. bright. compressed. and actually that combination works really well on some vocal things in some styles of music.

cad m9 - somewhat colored.

mxl 960 - darker colored tube
the other mxl tube mics - brighter colored tube

the various chinese ribbon mics (apex, fathead, etc) - various colors, some are relatively dark, the apex 205 is more neutral but does have some vibe to it.

cheap SDC mics (603 etc)... various shades of bright thin colors like light green, bright yellow... those are the colors I'd put for those mics LoL

mxl v67g - pleasant LDC vintagy type of color in the midrange...

then you can start getting into pricier mics and the other mics that are rebranded or subtly different versions of the same mics listed above (like MXL 9090 and so on for the mxl v67g/i)
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Just needed a starting point.
#11
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,996

uncle duncan is offline
#12
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: California/Boulder
Posts: 1,276

Funny Cat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Here's a chart that's a little outdated.

The Listening Sessions - Contact TLS

Hey thanks for that link. Sorry to divert the OP but I found it interesting that in the Mic-Pre coloration chart they had the MS-1b listed right beside the John Hardy Pre. I was thinking about getting an MS-1b for an alternate vocal pre after trying the Hardy-Pre. I think I heard *Bruce Swedien* compare the two?

Back on topic, this is a great resource for narrowing down choice of mics. Great link. Thanks again.
__________________

Rock Steady Recording
realmike15
Thread Starter
#13
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #13
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
#14
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #14
Gear interested
 
MaxSpl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 28

MaxSpl is offline
__________________
MaxSpl.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxSplVideos
#15
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada (by Vancouver)
Posts: 4,060

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
dkelley is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Just needed a starting point.
you're very welcome. :-)

and the listening sessions is an outstanding reference point, however only for a very few microphones and nothing invented within the last few years unfortunately (which is when all of the exciting, actually good sounding, affordable mics have started to appear).
#16
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #16
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Miami Beach Florida
Posts: 1,580

Jimsi is offline
sm7b-smooth in your face sound for rock and maybe rap-needs lots of gain
at4047 warm, tad darkish-transformered
mxl v67g and v67i stick mic, they have a warm sound-transfomered
akg c214-silky warm sound-smooth as butter
mxl 2003a nice smooth sound
at4040 warm smooth sound
at4033 good for blues acoustical instruments-tad good grainy sound
#17
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #17
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Miami Beach Florida
Posts: 1,580

Jimsi is offline
Chris, Please post some of your recordings, Ive got to hear this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Dollar store mics, mics bought from stores that have no business selling pro audio gear. They usually sound like ass and cost a couple of bucks at most.

Keeping in mind that no manufacturer makes it a point to make a "bad" sounding product (accuracy and good, clean sound is what everyone is really after) I'd suggest looking at your source for manipulating your tone, not the mic.

Record in bad sounding rooms. Put the mic in a cardboard box. Put the mic in the opposite spot you would normally put it (like behind the singer's head instead of in front). Tinfoil in front of your guitar speaker. Get creative with your sources and techniques and use whatever mics you already have.

THAT is what makes recording fun
#18
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada (by Vancouver)
Posts: 4,060

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
dkelley is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
Chris, Please post some of your recordings, Ive got to hear this....
I think I can live without hearing Chris's mental concept of what "ass" sounds like.
#19
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #19
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,913
My Recordings/Credits

Chris Lago is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post
You had some great advice, but I don't agree with you that, anything other than totally accurate reproduction is bad mic design. That's all.
Last time I checked, the u87 is a rather colored mic, and doesn't not give totally accurate reproduction, in fact it gives exaggerated reproduction. The neve 1073 is a very inaccurate sounding pre, yet it's used by many pro engineers, including myself.
#20
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #20
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Miami Beach Florida
Posts: 1,580

Jimsi is offline
Chris is ok, i just wanted to hear someone record in a cardboard box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
I think I can live without hearing Chris's mental concept of what "ass" sounds like.
#21
16th June 2011
Old 16th June 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada (by Vancouver)
Posts: 4,060

Send a message via MSN to dkelley
dkelley is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Last time I checked, the u87 is a rather colored mic, and doesn't not give totally accurate reproduction, in fact it gives exaggerated reproduction. The neve 1073 is a very inaccurate sounding pre, yet it's used by many pro engineers, including myself.
and I would love to have both of those in my possession right now :-)

life would be so dull without color.

Hey Chris L - still loving that sexy electrostatic mic of yours (or whatever that amazing sounding black rectangular thing is)?
realmike15
Thread Starter
#22
17th June 2011
Old 17th June 2011
  #22
Gear maniac
 
realmike15's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 170

Thread Starter
realmike15 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Last time I checked, the u87 is a rather colored mic, and doesn't not give totally accurate reproduction, in fact it gives exaggerated reproduction. The neve 1073 is a very inaccurate sounding pre, yet it's used by many pro engineers, including myself.
Couldn't agree more. I think some of the best mics/pres out there have their own take on sound, instead of uncompromising 1:1 accuracy.
#23
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
  #23
Lives for beer
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ameliastan
Posts: 4,954

BudgetMC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSpl View Post
The Copperphone - Placid Audio

Also, something I have been meaning to do is get an old telephone and rewire it into a mic.
Like this?



I've got a couple of these. Love 'em on vocals (often blended with another mic)... and they can totally add flavor to get a snare or tom to really cook. I've got, er, rather a lot of mics, and one of these is pretty much always up. I use another live...
__________________
Budget MC Productions:
Where the Tubes are Hot and the Beer is Cold.
Mastering for the People!
http://theaudiomc.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Russell Dawkins / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
4
switch777 / So much gear, so little time!
3
Keyflo / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
23
lembeaux / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.