Login / Register

Graphic EQ for monitors with feedback display.
New Reply
Subscribe
MichalScibior
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

Hey.

I'm looking for a graphic with some sort of feedback display for my monitors. I run Dynacord poweramps through passive Fender 1275xp and 1272xp and NEED a graphic on that, cause places that i work in need that most of the time.

Rarely do i have anyone to help me with ringing out my monitors, so it would be great to have some feedback display on my EQ. Closest to what i need and found so far would be a SIRUS MP231 but i don't know their gear and would love some feedback on that if anyone had the chance to check them.

Also anyone know something similar to the MP231, but lets say "better" quality? I don't think that would make much of a difference as far as monitors go, but i'm not feeling positive about putting some cheap in if I've already spend quite some amount of cash on rest of my gear.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

You may want to check out the live sound forum.

I use an RTA app on my phone to pinpoint trouble frequencies FWIW.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear addict

The Behringer graphic's have this. Can be a really useful feature, but of course the Behringers are noisy as shit.

Would be really interested to hear about some graphics that have the same feature that actually have a usable noise floor and don't cost the earth!
MichalScibior
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoire520 View Post
The Behringer graphic's have this. Can be a really useful feature, but of course the Behringers are noisy as shit.

Would be really interested to hear about some graphics that have the same feature that actually have a usable noise floor and don't cost the earth!
My point exactly.
MichalScibior
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I use an RTA app on my phone to pinpoint trouble frequencies FWIW.
I've seen that, but to use it i'd still have to be in front of my monitors, which would make running back and forth to my front mixer and rest of my gear. And i do my monitors and fronts separate, so ... don't know maybe it would work.

But the case is that when you have a possibility to check feedback just on the monitors doesn't that make a whole more stable system? ... Considering your fronts are well positioned. Also when a led is indicating what frequency feedbacks that makes things whole lot easier and quicker to set up. That is if you don't have anyone to do it for you so you can stand in front of your monitors and say which ones should be cut.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Peavey makes some that do that. And I think John Roberts who posts here occasionally may have worked on that product.

There are some ear training websites where you can practice recognizing frequencies. Which speeds up the whole process.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalScibior View Post
Hey.

I'm looking for a graphic with some sort of feedback display for my monitors. I run Dynacord poweramps through passive Fender 1275xp and 1272xp and NEED a graphic on that, cause places that i work in need that most of the time.

Rarely do i have anyone to help me with ringing out my monitors, so it would be great to have some feedback display on my EQ. Closest to what i need and found so far would be a SIRUS MP231 but i don't know their gear and would love some feedback on that if anyone had the chance to check them.

Also anyone know something similar to the MP231, but lets say "better" quality? I don't think that would make much of a difference as far as monitors go, but i'm not feeling positive about putting some cheap in if I've already spend quite some amount of cash on rest of my gear.
When I did live sound for a living, I had all my monitor e.q. and compressors in the amp rack on stage so I could ring everything out from up there. I would dial in what I thought would be slightly more gain for a giving monitor send than I would actually plan to use and then go up to the stage and slowly bring up the level for eq and pull out the offending frequencies. I did all that by myself. When I had a notch filter, that made it even better, but I ran the notch filters in series/ conjunction with the graphic eq, not in place of the graphic. There was no RTA type display of the frequencies needed--just listen. But placement of the gear is key.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:

The DEQ 2496 has a full RTA section..as well as graphic eq...parametric....dynamic eq...limiters...delays....etc..and are not noisy in my experience...have many in mid level installs and systems. IMO...the most useful and versatile EQ there is for anywhere near the money.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear interested

I've used pocket RTA for the iPhone for the last year and it's been great. Otherwise I have put a DBX Driverack PA+ in my system if it's that important.
MichalScibior
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Peavey makes some that do that. And I think John Roberts who posts here occasionally may have worked on that product.

There are some ear training websites where you can practice recognizing frequencies. Which speeds up the whole process.
I will check Peavey then.

I basically can recognize which frequencies start to ring as far as common 630, 800 2,5k or 4k range goes, but i really work in places which have no preparation for sound what so ever, so sometimes it just takes too much time if frequencies start to work together. Anything that would help me visually would speed up my ear training for sure. But getting an Iphone just for that is a waste of money for me.

Getting better at listening though ... I may be young but have lot's of appreciation for old school magic
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

After you've gotten the first 3-4 offending frequencies and smoothed things out, take a listen to what's happening on stage. I've seen folks get carried away cutting things and showing how much more gain they are running. Only the intelligibility is completely gone. And 90% of the eq is >6dB down.
MichalScibior
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
After you've gotten the first 3-4 offending frequencies and smoothed things out, take a listen to what's happening on stage. I've seen folks get carried away cutting things and showing how much more gain they are running. Only the intelligibility is completely gone. And 90% of the eq is >6dB down.
And at that point you're not tuning the rig, you're just taking volume down - i know what you mean.

Today I found the Peavey QF 131 - something that just might do ok for my application. Don't know about their build quality these days, but at times you could throw their stuff in a lake, take it out a month later, dry it off, plug and play ... used to be kind of "hard to damage" stuff. Though you could always tell it sounded like a Peavey ...

Anyway I'll give one of those units a go.
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
istr Rane made a unit that was usable.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search