How to connect effects unit to mixer?
New Reply
Subscribe
coreman
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Head

How to connect effects unit to mixer?

I have a Spirit Folio SX mixer and want to connect a RNC compressor. Normally, I'd simply connect the RNC to the specific input I want compressed but in this case I want the same compressor effect (I'll have this preset on the RNC so it won't change) available to multiple inputs at the same time with the ability to raise/lower the amount added to each.

In other words, I want the RNC in the signal path to two vocal inputs along with kick and snare inputs at the same time with the ability to adjust the amount of compression to each.

How would I connect the RNC to this particular mixer to be able to achieve this? I have attached a .pdf file of the mixer.

I would appreciate any help at all. I'm sorry if I didn't explain well enough.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spirit_sx_user_guide[1].pdf (3.23 MB, 233 views)
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Aux out to RNC's inputs, RNC's outputs to, well, any empty track or group. The diagrams in the manual are pretty illustrative in this respect, btw. In any case, you won't be really able to control the amount of compression for each track separately, as you only have one compressor - you'll be able to control the amount of the signal sent to the comp, though. More like a parallel compression scheme, really...
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Do you mean that you want to compress multiple vocals as well as kick and snare at the same time (i.e. not in multiple passes of each individual instrument)?

Your description makes it sound like you plan to use the RNC like most would use a reverb effect, which is not necessarily wrong, but the compression will not be even and predictable on all sources if all that stuff is going through the unit at the same time. Snare hits will make the vocals duck down and such...

Just making sure.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I have a Spirit Folio SX mixer and want to connect a RNC compressor. Normally, I'd simply connect the RNC to the specific input I want compressed but in this case I want the same compressor effect (I'll have this preset on the RNC so it won't change) available to multiple inputs at the same time with the ability to raise/lower the amount added to each.

In other words, I want the RNC in the signal path to two vocal inputs along with kick and snare inputs at the same time with the ability to adjust the amount of compression to each.

How would I connect the RNC to this particular mixer to be able to achieve this? I have attached a .pdf file of the mixer.

I would appreciate any help at all. I'm sorry if I didn't explain well enough.
what you should do is use the compressor on the inserts, the particular mixer you have has 12 (one on each mic pre)

you are trying to use it like a reverb/multiefx box. in which case you'd be sending a post fade signal to the compressor???

if this mixer had a mix insert for the 3/4 bus, you could then just assign the channels you want compressed to bus 3/4 and then push in the "sub to mix" button

maybe do the reverse, use the main mix inserts and put the stuff you don't want compressed onto the 3/4 bus
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Head

krushing,
I did see that in the manual but wasn't sure how it would work. So once I have the RNC's outputs routed to an empty track or group, I could simply use that track/group's fader to adjust the amount of compression effect?

Chrisc_o,
Yes, that's exactly what I'm wanting to do. I want the compression effect available to each individual input and to be controlled by each individual input separately all at the same time (similar to a reverb unit). Is it possible to do this? I know the sound quality might suffer but I still want to try. I only have one RNC but want compression available to more than just two channels.

ACE_TX,
I would use the compressor on the inserts but the RNC only has two outs. I need compression available to more than just two inputs. Yes, I guess I'd be using the RNC like a reverb/multifx box, which I also am not sure how I'd hook up.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

That's what I thought. A compressor doesn't work like that; it analyzes the dynamics of a source and responds to affect the sound running through it.

There are other ways of using a compressor (side-chaining, parallel compression, bus compression) but to keep things simple think of what will be happening, hypothetically:

-Vocal one is a steady, strong signal requiring a little compression to get it to pop in the mix

-Vocal two is overly dynamic in need of serious leveling

-Kick drum throbbing and eating up a lot of the low frequency spectrum but only for short bursts

-Blaring snare drum, also for short bursts only.

By running both vocalists through at the same time Vocal #1 will be dropping down in sync with the peaks of Vocal #2. Vocal #1 will surely suffer from this. Best case you'll get a pair of tracks competing for dynamic space, with vocal #1 seeming louder when vocal #2 is quieter and vice versa. This is not usually what you want a compressor to help you accomplish.

By running anything with long, sustained notes (basically anything other than a percussive track), the snare will cause something like vocals to drop in level on every hit. This can be used for rhythmic effects on pads and such, but it is rarely cool on vocals.

By running something like a kick drum through at the same time is even worse because of the sensitivity to low frequencies many compressors can exhibit (the RNC is kind of known for this BTW). The detector in the compressor will be all the more sensitive and exaggerate the above example even further.

Think about how a reverb effect adds an additional sound to your source, making it appropriate to run multiple sources through it at once. A compressor is designed to affect the source directly rather than add an additional sound to it in parallel. This is why it doesn't make sense to do what you are suggesting.

Compress each source individually. Buy more compressors or use the RNC at mix down, one source at a time.
coreman
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Head

Chrisc_O,

Really great response and totally makes sense. I appreciate it. I will probably just use the RNC for vocals and then try and get something else for drums.

One more quick question. I do not have a reverb unit but only a Boss guitar reverb pedal that only has an in and an out. Is it possible to hook this up to the mixer to achieve what I was trying to do with the RNC and if so how?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search