JJ Audio/Joly/Advanced Which mod is best for Apex 460?
Old 7th June 2011
Gear nut

JJ Audio/Joly/Advanced Which mod is best for Apex 460?

All -

I've searched around this forum and the web, but I'd like to know if anyone here has done a head to head comparison, or owns several mics with the different mods, or just has experience with these different companies. I'm starting a project of mostly jazz/new age instrumental music, and I bought the 460 with the intention of rounding out my locker of AT4050, SM81, RCA BK5B, Shure SM7B, and a couple of lower end SMDs.

I'm looking for a sweet, full range sound more like a 67 and less of a vocal "hype-y" sound.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Mic pres are a Langevin Dual Vocal, API, and Calrec PQ15.
Old 7th June 2011
Gear maniac

By your title, it looks like you may start another "modder war" on here. I've got a Advanced Audio CM54 with a oktavamodded capsule plus I swapped out the gate cap for a polystyrene, a oktavamodded v67g on its way in August. I also have 2 Apex 460's that I'm modding and testing out different components. A 460 is more of a prime candidate for a C12 type sound, which is what AA is going for, and I think the Dutch as well. Joly is using his own brand 47 style capsule for his own unique flavor. The Bottom line - I doubt any of these really give a 67 style sound if that's the direction you want to head. A couple of things you may want to consider:
-K67 style capsule (either the one that comes with the 460 or a better one)
-A passive circuit that brings down the high end
-look at what other components the 67 would have used; capacitors, transformers, tubes etc.

You could either attempt it yourself, or contact a modder and see if they'd do a custom job for you.
Old 7th June 2011
Gear nut

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really the kind of guy who's going to attempt to do the mods myself, and all three of these companies seem to do mods in the same price range. Some keep the 460 capsule, and some don't. I just was looking for opinions as to which might sound the most "hi fi" for instrumental use rather than a more mid rangy 47 sound. I've used 47s a lot for vocals, and they're great when you get a good one, but given a choice for instruments, I'll take a C-12 between the two, especially for acoustic guitar or piano. Right now, I don't have the bucks for a really expensive mic, and the 460 with mods seemed like a good way to go.
Old 7th June 2011
Gear Guru

None sound like a 67. You can hear the Joly version here up against U87, U47, M49 in the link below. It won this shootout - barely, Tough competition. It sounds rich and full.

***Mic-Mod Madness!!!***
Old 7th June 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

I'm not here to start a war nor is there one going on LOL

Our Apex 460 mod is about transforming the mic into a plate follower C12 circuit, not a U67. We accomplish this by changing out the circuit completely in the Apex 460 as well as rebuilding the PSU to match the original C12 schematic. That being stated you can install a K67 into the C12 circuit and it sounds pretty sweet. Not exactly like a real U67 but one hell of a microphone nonetheless.

Here's the C12/U67 mashup

Crazy Love - JJ Audio

Here's the standard C12 we do:

JJ Audio C12 - Amazing Grace

PS Both JJ Audio and Oktavamod are fantastic options to consider. Whether you are looking to build a new mic locker or if you want to augment your existing collection. Both companies are worth consideration based on their own merits.

Peace
Illumination
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search