Help: My new AT2020 has static, clicking, & popping
New Reply
Subscribe
cunparis
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Help: My new AT2020 has static, clicking, & popping

I just got a new AT 2020 condenser microphone with a new XLR cable. I've tried it on both a Fast Track Ultra and a Mackie 1202-VLZ mixer and with both I get excessive static with clicking & popping. I've tried it in a separate room to rule out interference. I also connected my digital piano to my mixer (without the microphone) and there is no static or popping even with the gain very high. So I've narrowed it down to the microphone and/or the cable.

Is there any way to tell which it is? It's brand new so I can exchange them but before going through that trouble I'd like to see if there is anything I can do. If I can find an XLR cable locally I'll pick one up to see if I can rule out the cable.

I never had this issue with my previous microphone, a Shure SM57. Unfortunately it was stolen and the AT2020 is the replacement.

Thanks for any advice.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear addict

hmmm u said u tried both the maudio and the mackie. so the problem might be the XLR cable or the AT2020 (stating the obvious) but do u have any other XLR cable to try?

I plug in my AT2020 directly with $8 XLR cable to my roland mic input , 48V+ phantom power with high-Z turned off. no cracks or pops.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Thats almost certainly a problem with a capacitor in the microphone discharging. It does happen, although its not common in AT mics. Take it back and get it replaced!
cunparis
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesnob900 View Post
Thats almost certainly a problem with a capacitor in the microphone discharging. It does happen, although its not common in AT mics. Take it back and get it replaced!
Thanks for your help. It sounds like buying another cable isn't going to be helpful so I guess I'll return the microphone and exchange it for another one.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Cables are cheap, always try the cheap fix first. If that's not it, you're going to need extra mic cables eventually anyway.
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

probaby a cable, i had the same loud clicking and popping with a mic here, probably phantom power going in and out on your at2020 mic, I replaced the cable and it began working...hope its your cable, but sendind both back guarantes a fix...
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

I don't think its the cable it did happen to me on the same mic too. Try unplugging and plug everything back again a few times (and check) and it should be back to what it's supposed to sound soon.
cunparis
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuman View Post
I don't think its the cable it did happen to me on the same mic too. Try unplugging and plug everything back again a few times (and check) and it should be back to what it's supposed to sound soon.
I've unplugged it quite a few times. You had a similar problem? Was it resolved by exchanging the microphone?

The problem with buying another cable is we only have small family type music stores here and it'll be really expensive. If I could use a second cable I'd get it but I really have no use for it.

Thomann.de has great service. They gave me a label to print so the postage for the return and exchange will be provided by them. They're great (if you're European).
cunparis
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear interested

I received my replacement AT2020 microphone. I sent the cable with it and I got back a new cable as well. I plugged it into my mixer and it's quiet as can be. There was definitely a problem with the previous one. This one has no noise at all and sounds great.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search