Login / Register

NEW! ART Pro MPA II Reference Series...Gimmic???
New Reply
Subscribe
FilmNMusicman
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

NEW! ART Pro MPA II Reference Series...Gimmic???

So, I'm hanging around the interwebs and I come across this (see link below)

Buy ART PRO MPA II Reference Series | Microphone Preamps | Musician's Friend

Should I go to banjo mart and review this puppy....I'm in the market for a new preamp (most likely a GAP73) BUT this looks so cool I'll buy it and return it just for the hell of it, maybe it will even sound better than the cooool blooo dials suggest. Gold plated everything, matched pair tubes....Let's see.

BTW I have an original American made ART PRO MPA from 96' (you know when A.R.T. products were $600 for 2 channels and all the components, trannys etc. were top notch.

I'll compare it to that....In the meantime anyone with more info, maybe someone who works for ART or someone who can tell me that these minor mods wont really help the unit PLEASE CHIME IN!
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

I'll be curious to hear about your results. I have three original MPA's with NOS tubes, love them.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear addict

They keep making them look uglier and uglier! I'd be interested to know the specific differences this model comes with.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Yeas looks interesting. Can't find anything about this on their website??

Is this made exclusively for Musicians Friend like Presonus made a limited 'Hotrod' edition of the Eureka for Audiomidi??
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear interested

To me it sounds like they simply did a tube swap.... could be wrong though. That said, with only a $30 or so difference between the two if the tubes they put in it are good it may be worth stepping to it from the normal MPA.

Wait a second; wasn't this listed as the MPA III a couple of months ago as a coming soon?
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to ivmike
I too would be curious; it seems from a read of the specifications that the tubes are improved over the MPA II, which is something that most of us that own these MPA (or the ubiquitous Gold) units have done with our own.

Improved tubes and it's still only $300 new. Not bad; not bad at all.

Tim's Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Keep it simple - get good sounds at source - do not rely on all the technology. Go with your instincts/gut feeling. Don't mic too close.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

sounds like the only real difference will be the tubes - ummm... even odds they use a matched pair of poop - NOS tubes tend to be pricey, especially the ones you need to show a huge diff.

Why don't they just make a "deluxe" version with all high-grade parts??? Even just a cap upgrade and a better power supply build could be cheap and give a way better product (judging this on an upgrade I had done to my Pro Channel last year - big improvement).
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

If the only differences are upgraded tubes, blue lights and different knobs then I'll pass on this!!

New caps, psu etc as changeng mentioned would make it worth it but if our suspicions are correct then I'll be saving my money!!

I think the ART MPA series have the potential to be a great unit and if they sorted out the noise at higher gain levels would be a fantastic preamp!
FilmNMusicman
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Emailed A.R.T. but haven't heard back yet....I'd like to hear back from them before I just haul off and purchase this Blue Eyed Monster just for the purpose of reviewing it for us slutz.
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
no Digital MPA RS?
or Pro VLA II Reference Series?
FilmNMusicman
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

...still waiting for my answer...This isn't looking good for ART's customer relations department.
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
...still waiting for my answer...This isn't looking good for ART's customer relations department.
I've dealt with them a few times. They were always helpful and quick to respond. Be sure to share when they do.
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Applied Research & Technology to me

Hello Stephen,

No gimmick! It's an alternative version of the MPA specifically made in conjunction with the dealer. I am waiting for the return of my pal the ART Sales Manager, he'll be in tomorrow. At that time I will have access to a sell sheet that details all of the differences, and I will pass that along to you.

Sincerely,
Thom Davis
Technical Services
Applied Research and Technology

www.artproaudio.com
Creating Audio Solutions Since 1984

So far this is how I've gotten, look for a review as soon as they give me some specs. I'll go and purchase it for review ASAP!
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
sounds like the only real difference will be the tubes - ummm... even odds they use a matched pair of poop - NOS tubes tend to be pricey, especially the ones you need to show a huge diff.

Why don't they just make a "deluxe" version with all high-grade parts??? Even just a cap upgrade and a better power supply build could be cheap and give a way better product (judging this on an upgrade I had done to my Pro Channel last year - big improvement).
Or better still, since they seem to wanna be true analog pieces, just make these fockers with thru-hole PCBs ( not the "SMT" topology) so they can be easily modded...What 'bout some sockets and such..!..
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

As I promised more into:

"Hello Stephen,

Here is a promo sheet for the model. The main differences are tighter screening on tube selection, the gold plated connectors, and the cosmetic changes.

I hope this information is useful, please let me know if I can help further."

Nice to know some details....Then I asked about the ever looming question about starved plate design. This is what Thom had to say:

"Hello Stephen,

No, we think the 50 volts we send to the plate is perfect for the sound we are hoping for! Since it's appropriate to the circuit, I would say it's just enough. But yes, some people would call that starved.

The MPAII, and this new reference series version also offers choice for people though; the overload qualities are like the ProMPA in the "NORMAL" voltage mode. There is also a "HIGH" voltage mode has more headroom. Also, in the "HIGH" voltage mode there is a sharper transition to saturation/clipping than the "NORMAL" mode so, personally, I still prefer "normal", but it's good to give people options."

Sincerely,

Thom Davis
Technical Services
Applied Research and Technology

A division of Yorkville Sound

As promised I'll be purchasing the unit to compare and I'll post my finding to see if there is any sonic improvement
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Could you please attach that "promo sheet" if you can?

You are going to shoot out the MPAII and the new MPAII Reference edition of course?
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

So, it looks like the only difference is the (what I would consider) uglier design and different tubes. Sure looks like a gimmick to sell more of the same thing. Still think the original MPA Gold is the best looking design of the three. If they wanted to really improve the design, they would make it transformer balanced, and either have better op amps or socketed ones so the user could upgrade them like the tubes.
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
So, it looks like the only difference is the (what I would consider) uglier design and different tubes. Sure looks like a gimmick to sell more of the same thing. Still think the original MPA Gold is the best looking design of the three. If they wanted to really improve the design, they would make it transformer balanced, and either have better op amps or socketed ones so the user could upgrade them like the tubes.
and it sounds like its not even necessarily "different" tubes, they've just squeezed down the acceptable tolerances of what passes QC and what doesn't. so realistically the audible difference should be pretty minimal, just more consistent from unit to unit.

sticking with my MPA gold!
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Rokus666
I want one next to my Avalon 737.
I want to break the myth...
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Gear maniac

What's the myth?
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Rokus666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
What's the myth?

The myth that expensive gear is the only way to achieve superb sound quality...
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

I would buy this and put it next to a Beat Thang.

And i'd mix the track on my playstation 2.
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

I've bought the reference series here in France but I can't compare to the normal one...
I wanted the VLA but now I've seen the pro channel with a really good deal so I don't know what to do! Is the channel the exact compilation of the MPA and the VLA (I won't use the EQ...)?
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

No it's not. The Pro Channel is a stripped down version of the VLA and doesn't have the higher voltage option that the MPA has. It's a fun box, but you'd be better off getting the separate MPA and VLA units.

The only real plus to the Pro Channel is it has a tube circuit in the compressor stage, which (once you've changed the tubes) can give you some shiny compression. Also, it's EQ is much more useful than it's given credit for.
FilmNMusicman
21st October 2012
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

I still have yet to test this even though I started the thread...I think because they changes were basically BASIC I didn't think it was worth buying both. Especially when the MPA Gold is as always treating me awesome.

I'm sure it was a "gimmic", but really the VLA and MPA are two of the best budget boxes around. I prefer the 1st Gen of VLA and the GOLD over the 1st Gen MPA.

I think I just like old things hahaha.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Send a message via AIM to jcoutu1
This box is the SDOTD today. Has anyone used it?
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

What's SDOTD?
I bought one but I let it in my other place. So not used so much actually...

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
What's SDOTD?
I bought one but I let it in my other place. So not used so much actually...

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Studpid Deal of the Day on Musicians Friend. 2 bones.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear interested

ART Pro MPA II

Hello gents,

I'm looking into getting a preamp for project studio, I was considering the PreSonus Channel strip (tube) which can be had for $250. I know PreSonus is the trending company these days, but this ART pre looks like it has better specs and its two channels. What say you all, any opinions?

Yes, Musicians Friend does have it as teh stupid deal of the day for $200. The reference series seems to mainly be tubes with tighter tolerances "matched" and gold connectors for lower noise.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithplato View Post
Hello gents,

I'm looking into getting a preamp for project studio, I was considering the PreSonus Channel strip (tube) which can be had for $250. I know PreSonus is the trending company these days, but this ART pre looks like it has better specs and its two channels. What say you all, any opinions?

Yes, Musicians Friend does have it as teh stupid deal of the day for $200. The reference series seems to mainly be tubes with tighter tolerances "matched" and gold connectors for lower noise.
Sold out already. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search