Login / Register

How do you setup a cue system for a project studio?
New Reply
Subscribe
superkev07
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Gear maniac

Question How do you setup a cue system for a project studio?

Just wondering if anyone has setup any reasonable cue system for a project studio. What pieces of gear do you use? Did you incorporate something like a Central Station or Big Knob into it? Do you just send the artists the 2 mix or do you have a separate cue mix setup? Assume the studio and control room are separate. Thanks!

Humble Gear:
Apogee Ensemble, M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, PT MP 7.3.1cs1 on a Macbook Pro (2GHz Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM), pair Fostex PM1 monitors w/ PM0.5 Sub MKII
23rd February 2006
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Hi there!
I also have a 002R and usually record rock trios. I create 3 "PRE-FADER" different sends for each musician, and assign them to outputs 3-4,5-6...analog & SPDIF L/R. I've been using a Mackie mixer, a Twin Track Pro(spidif) and a Samson CQ-8. I leave the Main L-R for the AE, and analog 7-8 for Reverb (lexicon). All of this while recording from all the Analog and ADAT inputs!!
Cheers!!
http://youtu.be/BofOKFMfyW0
www.kzkrecords.com
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear interested

I have a MOTU 828MKII. I use the cue mix software to assign individual mixes to the 4 pairs of analog outs. The stereo feeds go into the AUX inputs of a Behringer HA7000. I'm a one room operation so I get to cheat a litle here by not having a pair of outs tied up for monitors. The phones out on the 828 can be set to "follow active mix" so I just use that. Pretty handy feature for setting up the hedphone mixes. You hear what they hear. If I have a click or backing tracks, they go out of the main outs, and route them through my mixer to the main ins on the behringer. If someone has to share it's usually ok. I have also set up monitoring just from my board before, but the cuemix software is really handy for this.
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear nut

My Humble Cue system....

I have a 002r as the base of the system. I use the Aux sends in PT like joaquin does. I try to keep it to four mixes which is almost always enough and it works well with a talkback system I had built. I use a painfully simple setup for talkback. I had a 1U box built that takes 4 stereo inputs from my 002 and sums them in with a mic signal. I had switches, mic level knob, output knobs and peak lights put on the front. The switches allow me to turn on and off mic signal to each cue one by one. So I can make jokes to the drummer about the lead singer ect ect I then patch the outputs of the talkback box into the snake and add headphones. I also have a behringer ha4700 for those times when I just need to get one cue mix up for a bunch of people. No reason to spend tons of money on something thats not being recorded. Even the ha4700 will produce a sound at least as good as a monitor mix someone would get on stage. Works pretty well for me.

Does anyone know of a company making a talkback box like the one i had built? I was unable to find one but that was in my pre-GS days...

Robert
superkev07
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear maniac

Is there a problem with latency for any of you using the setups you're describing?
superkev07
24th February 2006
Old 24th February 2006
Gear maniac

Hear Back Hub vs. Furman HDS-6/HR2

So, I just saw this on sweetwater from Hear Back: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HearBackHub/

Now, it looks pretty attractive to me:
1) I can use the Lightpipe out from my 002r to supply the submix, a part of the I/O that would normally be left unused anyhow.
2) Uses CAT5 cables to transmit signal rather than mic cables. They're muuuuch cheaper, and would be much easier to run longer distances, depending on where I setup the control room.
3) Allows a personal mix for each player. (Not a huge selling point, but a bonus, I suppose.)

The other, and cheaper, option is this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDS6

Now, the HDS-6 pushing a few HR-2's should do the trick as well, right? But I'd have to use more mic cables (though I suppose even something like HOSA would be fine for a cue mix). Thoughts? Anyone personally used either of these systems?
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Gear nut

superkev -

check this thread:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...light=hearback

I've been using a Hearback system for several months now and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Sounds good, easy to use, and as a bonus the line outs on the mixers are great for reamping tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/sounddevisor
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dpianomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkev07
So, I just saw this on sweetwater from Hear Back: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HearBackHub/

Now, it looks pretty attractive to me:
1) I can use the Lightpipe out from my 002r to supply the submix, a part of the I/O that would normally be left unused anyhow.
2) Uses CAT5 cables to transmit signal rather than mic cables. They're muuuuch cheaper, and would be much easier to run longer distances, depending on where I setup the control room.
3) Allows a personal mix for each player. (Not a huge selling point, but a bonus, I suppose.)

The other, and cheaper, option is this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDS6

Now, the HDS-6 pushing a few HR-2's should do the trick as well, right? But I'd have to use more mic cables (though I suppose even something like HOSA would be fine for a cue mix). Thoughts? Anyone personally used either of these systems?
I have this system--works great, and yes, i just picked up 6 hosa xlr-trs and they're fine. the system is super easy to use and set up, plus you can get some GREAT deals on used ones on ebay. Does the trick, although I wish each station could control panning as well. Dave.

www.facebook.com/davepittenger
26th February 2006
Old 26th February 2006
Jai guru deva om

The Hear Technologies stuff is really great sounding too, their whole gig is monitoring!

War

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search