New Reply
Subscribe
Joekkel
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Head

Shure Sm58 vs. Sennheiser e835S Shootout

hi there,

so this is my first gearslutz post. i've compared two common dynamic microphones for live vocal-application. the shure sm58 and the sennheiser e835S (the one with the on/off-switch). i did'nt do a handling-noise test, but i can assure you, that handling-noise is very quiet on both microphones, a little more bass on the shure.

i'm speaking swissgerman, don't be afraid of the noises i do, when i talk. it's normal in switzerland

first, you hear a sentence with a popkiller in front of the mics. while i'm speaking i'm moving closer to the mics. the second sentence, i'm speaking with no popkiller, again moving closer.

it's a recording in an untreated room. preamps are lineaudio from sweden (great little preamps btw). i had to turn up the volume of the shure a little bit more, as you may see in the picture (sennheiser left, shure right).

i always wanted to hear a shootout between those two mics. now i bought the sennheiser and borrowed the shure and did one. really happy with the purchase of the sennheiser.

hope this shootout may be useful for somebody.
Attached Thumbnails
Shure Sm58 vs. Sennheiser e835S Shootout-lineaudio_mp2.jpg   Shure Sm58 vs. Sennheiser e835S Shootout-microphones.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: wav sennheiser_e835.wav (3.51 MB, 4092 views) File Type: wav shure_sm58.wav (3.51 MB, 3444 views)
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I have both here as well and have done my own comparison. I too prefer the e835 as well as it has more presence IMO. However, the SM58 can take EQ really well which is a great thing and is why its used and has been used everywhere. We are using e835's at church for 5 vocalists. After EQ, I can get the SM58 to sound just about the same but with a little less body to it. Your choice is valid IMO, however, either one will work fine for live, its the talent thats usually the issue. When I record those two mics, the e835 just sounds better before any EQ or processing
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear addict

Nice test. The e835 clearly beat out the shure, IMO. VERY nice sound, and you can get them at a very reasonable price. I paid $50 second hand for one on ebay a few years ago. I sold it to fund other purchases. I always got a lot of sibilance from it....but otherwise it was very flattering on my own voice.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Gear Head

I also prefer the Senn 835, but it does have a Freq Resp that is closer to the SM57 and may also work as an instrument mic as well.
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Right now, I have an e835 (no switch) on my 10" tom and a 58 on my 12".. with a little EQ, there's no discernible difference.

They're both getting replaced with a couple more M179s for tom duty - but the 835 is definitely a keeper (I got it free for one reason or another.. glad I did).
"Seriously, there's a certain kind of creative inspiration that can come from exploring the outer limits of a musical instrument. Now days the limits are so vast that it can be difficult to set boundaries." --spargee
23rd April 2011
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

I chose two e835's instead of SM58's for my mic collection. Still had to go for a couple of the 57's though!
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear nut

Thanks!

Thanks for this post. Really useful. I have an e835 and an e845. I'm wondering if I should try the 845 on snare... rather than a Beta 57.

A.
Joekkel
24th April 2011
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Head

@shanabit: what do you mean by "the shure takes eq really well"? can't imagine, that the sennheiser would take eq worse cause it's overall-sound is very close to the shure-sound, even if it's a little brighter and has less bass, what i like for my voice. guess i need to de-ess a little more... are there any mics, that don't take eq well, and if, why is this so?

glad you folks appreciate this comparison.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear addict

Whenever I use 58's on a live vocal I end up having to pull out some lows low mids, I've always found it to be a really muddy vocal mic.
Sennheiser on the other hand is much clearer right off the bat and needs much less eq to get it sounding good.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekkel View Post
@shanabit: what do you mean by "the shure takes eq really well"? can't imagine, that the sennheiser would take eq worse cause it's overall-sound is very close to the shure-sound, even if it's a little brighter and has less bass, what i like for my voice. guess i need to de-ess a little more... are there any mics, that don't take eq well, and if, why is this so?

glad you folks appreciate this comparison.

What Im saying is the Sure doesnt have drastic bumps in the highs or lows for its normal response so when you EQ lets say the highs, your not starting with a mic that already has the highs boosted in the first place. Practically, I can make ANYONE sound good live on one with a little EQ
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear nut

I prefer the sm58, but the e835 can be equed nicely to get a great sound closer to the sm58.

Here's some decent eq and de-esser settings to start with.
Attached Thumbnails
Shure Sm58 vs. Sennheiser e835S Shootout-e835.jpg  
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear addict

Does the grill of the e835 have foam inside of it like a 58??
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 View Post
Does the grill of the e835 have foam inside of it like a 58??
yes. even my 30$ mics have foam inside the grill.
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I did a similar live mic shootout with a bunch of different mics about a year ago. I wanted to find out which mic sounded best on MY vocals. After trying out about a dozen mics, I found the e835 to be far and away my favorite. So I bought the e935. It's 100 better. Or something. Anyway, I just prefer the clarity and cut it has over the SM58. It sounds more like my voice in the P.A., and less like the microphone, if that makes sense. The one down side I've experienced to it is it requires a bit more gain than most other dynamics hand-helds. Not as much as an SM7, so I've never had a problem with using it on any P.A. system, but I have noticed that I have to turn it up just a tad higher than the other mics plugged into the board. It's odd that the OP had the opposite experience with the volume. I don't know. It could be a transient issue, as the Sennheiser's capture the transients a lot more accurately and the Sure's dull them down a bit. Plus, who can trust the meter's on most live boards?

If you want to really hear how good that mic is, put it up next to an Audix OM2. The openness of the e835 really exposes the boxiness of the OM2.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search