SM7b vs RE320
New Reply
Subscribe
efdaudio
18th April 2011
Old 18th April 2011
Gear interested

SM7b vs RE320

so i'm looking for a microphone to record some aggressive punk-rock vocals. everything i've read has pretty much pointed me toward the SM7b, and i have a pretty good amount of experience using a borrowed SM7. however, this new E/V RE320 looks VERY interesting. i'm just having a hard time finding any information on it. so what do you guys think...should i stick with the tried and true SM7 for now, or maybe just go for something totally new (yet promising) in the RE320 and see how that treats me? FWIW, i will be running it thru a mackie Onyx preamp.

eventually i will probably own both, but for right now i'm just looking to grab a good dynamic vocal recording mic that can handle some hard-rockin'. either one of these mics will fit the bill, so i'm basically just looking for some opinions on the RE320 if anyone has had the chance to try one yet and/or compare it to the SM7. thanks!

18th April 2011
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

If you can wait a little, my 320 is arriving this week

There is little info because its a new product that has only been shipping for little under month.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums!
efdaudio
18th April 2011
Old 18th April 2011
Gear interested

thanks! yeah i know it's new, thats why i figured that if anybody has one yet, it'd be somebody here at Gearslutz!
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
eventually i will probably own both, but for right now i'm just looking to grab a good dynamic vocal recording mic that can handle some hard-rockin'. either one of these mics will fit the bill
If you really will end up getting both, and you really feel that either will fit
the bill -

Just do the no brainer thing, get the SM7b. It will work great for what you
want and when you eventually go for other mics, your baseline experience
will be with the more widely used mic. This might give you a
more useful reference for evaluating other nice dynamic mics in the future.
(not assuming you have no experience with them, in fact you said you did...)

I've been enjoying owning some of the tried and true stuff lately, it's never
a bad move.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Why is this topic in low end? I'm not sure about the re320 but I use re20 on toms and sm7b on everything. Haven't used re20 on anything else yet as I just got it. The sm7b is awesome but requires a lot of juice from the preamp. I don't think you'll get the most out of the sm7b with onyx pres. I'm running mine through neve pres and I'm very happy

www.BeauMckeeRecordings.com
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

I thought I'd mention We have a mackie desk at the studio but those pres do not compliment the sm7b anywhere near as nice as shadow hills, API or neve pres I use.
efdaudio
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

yeah that was one consideration i had. the SM7 does require lots of gain, and i was thinking that the RE320 might be a better match for my current preamps.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

I own an SM7b and am wondering how it compares to the RE320?

I've been tempted to pick up an RE27 and am also wondering how this compare to the RE320 aswell!

How does the output of the SM7b, RE320, RE20 and RE27 compare?
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to bobsandifer
I love my SM7bs but even with my VoxBox the signal is Looooooooooooooow
For what you will be recording I think you will be ok with either mike. Just remember to wash the foam every few days with the Shure. It get stainky
The 4th Ward Atlanta Ga.
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

I've been tempted to pick up an RE27 and am also wondering how this compare to the RE320 aswell!

Pick up a fethead for under $100 (from Triton audio I think), if you're worried about not getting enough output. It does wonders for my PR35 which I wasn't all that crazy about before.
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

The SM7 is meatier, and works somewhat better IMHO with a "bright" voice
(like mine) especially in a sparse mix. The 320 reminded me of a cross between a RE20 and a Beta 58.

efd, how good does a SM58 (or 57) sound on you?

Sounded great on "London Calling"!

Chris
efdaudio
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
Gear interested

i use an SM57 for live vocals and it does pretty well. so the 320 is brighter? the music i'll be working with is not really sparse haha, it's gonna be a pretty dense sounding mix.
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

if anyone has those low output mics(sm7 and or re20) they should toss a Trinton FetHead or the Cloudlifter in their mic locker, it will allow you to use about any mic preamp with phantom power, then one can sop worrying about what preamp works with these mics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

efdaudio
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear interested

any more opinions on the RE320, specifically as a vocal mic? i think i might just go ahead and get the SM7, i'm not really lookin for bright.
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

From the sample that I heard, RE320 is lot brighter than RE20. And RE20 is lot brighter than SM7B (these two I own).
I think SM7B has meatier sounds and very nice texture that is hard to replace with any other mics. More and more I use SM7b, it convinced me that it is one of the best mic for voice.
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
And RE20 is lot brighter than SM7B (these two I own).
I own these two mics also. Funny, but I would describe the RE20 as having more of a pronounced upper mid range, but not really brighter...

It is tough to describe mics in words, yeah?

My band is R. Mutt

Selling LynxTWO-C PCI based 6in/2out 96/192K Card with Breakout Cables
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdier View Post
I own these two mics also. Funny, but I would describe the RE20 as having more of a pronounced upper mid range, but not really brighter...

It is tough to describe mics in words, yeah?
Yes I know. Everybody is hearing differently. Some frequency is loved by someone and some hate it.

To me, RE20 has strong edge around 8k area which to me making the sound hard and bright. This can help cutting through the background. SM7b has a dip in that area which makes the sound rounder. But it is just my taste and opinion.
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

There is no point arguing this brightness issue until someone does a proper A/B on the same source with the same model pre, come on people...
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear addict

I have both, they are both great mics and do mostly the same thing in different ways.

If I had to pick one of the two for vocals, i'd use the SM7b due to the presence boost.
I prefer the SM7 on the inside of the kick drum towards the beater, but the RE-20 more towards the outside for a more natural sound.

I tend to like the re-20 more on guitar if I want the bass to occupy more low end then the kick, if I want the kick to be lower in the mix and the bass higher in the frequency range, I'll use the SM7b.

On guitar amps but are usable on their own, I'll use the SM7b if I am also using a ribbon mic or something else that is dark, again due to the presence boost, If I am using something brighter on the guitar amp, like a sm57 or a condenser I'll use the re-20 to make sure I have the low end.

both are awesome...you need both. infact 2 or 3 of each is even better
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
There is no point arguing this brightness issue until someone does a proper A/B on the same source with the same model pre, come on people...
Did you click on my link and listen or just opine?
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMiller View Post
I have both, they are both great mics and do mostly the same thing in different ways.

If I had to pick one of the two for vocals, i'd use the SM7b due to the presence boost.
I prefer the SM7 on the inside of the kick drum towards the beater, but the RE-20 more towards the outside for a more natural sound.

I tend to like the re-20 more on guitar if I want the bass to occupy more low end then the kick, if I want the kick to be lower in the mix and the bass higher in the frequency range, I'll use the SM7b.

On guitar amps but are usable on their own, I'll use the SM7b if I am also using a ribbon mic or something else that is dark, again due to the presence boost, If I am using something brighter on the guitar amp, like a sm57 or a condenser I'll use the re-20 to make sure I have the low end.

both are awesome...you need both. infact 2 or 3 of each is even better
Hmm but do you have an RE320? I have both the SM7B and RE320 and this is what this thread is about - not the SM7B and the RE20. When I AB my own mics it is almost like the opposite of the test in the link I posted. My SM7B is definitely smoother and fuller sounding and I wonder if it is the foam shield that does this. And I wonder how the RE320 sounds smoother on the AB test in the link. Most of all, I wish people would read the posts properly!
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear addict

opps....sorry i was reading this quickly at work and missed the 320
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear interested

I've been using the RE-320 for two months on a test basis. I report news daily and I really like this mic. It is what the RE-20 is but with a brighter sound. A little crisper on the high end due to the same magnet that the RE-27 has. I don't use the kick drum setting for obvious reasons, but it does roll off the mids quite a bit. I almost cried when I gave up the RE-20 but I'm not sorry I did.

hear a sample at michiganheadlinenews.com

Just to answer the original question, I did use an SM7 a few years back in the same capacity and found it to be a bit darker and in need of more pre

Last edited by brother kasey; 17th August 2011 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: added link and added comparison opinion
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Another post that does not address the question. Help!
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Did you click on my link and listen or just opine?
I just opined, based on years of experience. FWIW, I did click on the link, it is a well known site with excellent reference material, that I actually had a listen too a few years back when wanting a Heil PR-40. It is a GREAT repository of info!! But I certainly wouldn't base my opinions on one website with samples, some recorded years appart!

As brother kasey can attest, from one day to another a voice does change. From morning to evening your vocal tone changes. HEck, have a sip of water between takes and that extra humidity sparkles the highs.

I got super sensitive to vocals after working full time radio producer and basically running the whole studio day in day out.

For this sake of conversation, it is all totally refutable. The 320 is way too new. A diaphram does take its time to burn in, just like a speaker, more so on dynamics than condensers. Who here can say they've given their 320 a decent 50h+ in total working time?

So what I am getting at is that until someone produces a full blown proper A/B test, everything is pretty much pendular in opinion. Give it a couple of months and way more conclusive evidence will arrise on the tendency these mics exhibit.

For instance, on another thread I tried explaining my results compairing 320 with a 57 on guitar cab. The 57 was brighter on the top end. the SM7 has an 8k bump right, so it should be even brighter! But is am SM7 brighter than a 57? ... tutt ... well, it can be if you match it with the right pre...

its all a big circle of "depends"
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
For this sake of conversation, it is all totally refutable. The 320 is way to new. A diaphram does take its time to burn in, just like a speaker, more so on dynamics than condensers. Who here can say they've given their 320 a decent 50h+ in total working time?
Yes, of course. I forget. I just bought a new RE320 and compared it against my used SM7B and it seemed to be not as rich sounding........for now.
19th August 2011
Old 19th August 2011
Gear Head

i own the 320 and sm7. on my opinion.

if you like the sound of the sm7, you can forget the 320.

it is not a insult to the 320, the 320 is bright, but somehow uneasy...
24th August 2011
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Head

I am interested in the EV RE320 and am likely to pair it with ISA One. Any more experiences , opinions , reviews about the RE320 and if possible comparisons with the SM7B. Will voice recorded with the RE320 sit well in a mix like the SM7B
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search