Digi 003 vs Apogee Duet
New Reply
Subscribe
timme_v
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear interested

Digi 003 vs Apogee Duet

I've read all the similar threads on these 2 but price was never in mention.

I play in a band and would like to record some of my own stuff at home. It would never be more than 2 inputs at a time. This drew my attention to getting an Apogee Duet + Pro tools 9. This would come to about $750. Pre's and converters have amazing reviews.

However there is a special at a shop at the moment that has Digi 003 Rack Factory for $799. This includes Pro Tools 8 LE. Pre's and converters have pretty bad reviews but this is only because of the original high price.

The 003 would be completely overkill for my immediate needs in a home setting, yet in the future it might be handy (might not).

What would you get if you were in this situation?
EDF
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
EDF
Gear addict

My Studio

Send a message via AIM to EDF Send a message via MSN to EDF Send a message via Yahoo to EDF Send a message via Skype™ to EDF
Portability vs Versatility.
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear nut

I upgraded to a Duet in January and wouldn't hesitate to get an Ensemble if more inputs became necessary. The improvement over my previous interface, a Presonus that died, was marked.

With that are you recording live drums?
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear nut

are you stuck with PT?

ive been considering changing my interface as well. The RME babyface seems like it's on par with the Duet but more usable features and expandability. Really liking the effects for direct monitoring and low latency. It's on my to-buy list at around your budget. (someone mentioned he got it for $680 on ebay)
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

the pre's on the digi 003 suck at any price, it's literally been years since i used them on anything except a talk back mic.

converters are one of those things where the last 90% of price gets you the final 10% in quality.

you should be able to get an 003 used for less money then that.
timme_v
12th April 2011
Old 12th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhdez View Post
I upgraded to a Duet in January and wouldn't hesitate to get an Ensemble if more inputs became necessary. The improvement over my previous interface, a Presonus that died, was marked.

With that are you recording live drums?
Nah, it will really only be used for guitar/bass/vocals/keys.. I have a friend who does music at uni and he usually helps us out with drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sq1ne View Post
are you stuck with PT?

ive been considering changing my interface as well. The RME babyface seems like it's on par with the Duet but more usable features and expandability. Really liking the effects for direct monitoring and low latency. It's on my to-buy list at around your budget. (someone mentioned he got it for $680 on ebay)
I'm not stuck with it, but I like it. Like in the above quote, I would be using pro tools in that instance so I like the compatibility.

I think Duet is the go, if I needed to upgrade, I could later down the track.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search