14th February 2006
Old 14th February 2006
Gear nut

anything to say about these mics...?

I'm looking for some opinion on these three mics:

-Gefell MT71s
-Soundelux U195
-Langevin CR2001

I'd be using it primarily for hip-hop vocals. I'm looking for something nice and big, but not too bright or boomy, and with a nice "edge" to it... y'know, nothing too flat or boring. I'm leaning toward the Gefell, because it's the only one I have experience with and I like the old-Neumann thing it does, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the other two. And, it'd be nice to have the extra $400+ that I'd be saving if I bought the Langevin.

Anyone have experience and/or insight to share? Much appreciated.
16th February 2006
Old 16th February 2006
Gear nut

Soundelux....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedy
I'm looking for some opinion on these three mics:

-Gefell MT71s
-Soundelux U195
-Langevin CR2001

I'd be using it primarily for hip-hop vocals. I'm looking for something nice and big, but not too bright or boomy, and with a nice "edge" to it... y'know, nothing too flat or boring. I'm leaning toward the Gefell, because it's the only one I have experience with and I like the old-Neumann thing it does, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about the other two. And, it'd be nice to have the extra $400+ that I'd be saving if I bought the Langevin.

Anyone have experience and/or insight to share? Much appreciated.
I can only comment on the U195 - I haven't heard or used the others. Having said that, I think if I recorded hip hop (which I don't!!!) the U195 would be a go-to. It's very present with a lot of upper mids, and seems like it would really punch through a track. Takes a lot of level without crapping out, and built like a tank. I solid performer that works a lot of places you could use a U87, but with more presence and edge. Out of all of the mics that I own and actually would use on a vocal (that means I'm ignoring the cheap crap...) the U195 is the most present and cutting. It's a lot more in your face than a 87, and way more in your face than a U47 - to try to give you some common references. But without the weird phasey and gritty stuff you get with the china mics.

It's just got an agressive thickness to the upper mids, if that makes any sense. Worth the money, IMO...

Hope that this vague rant helps!!

Mike
Raggedy
19th February 2006
Old 19th February 2006
Gear nut

yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks

but I know more of you have used the Soundelux... but nobody else has anything to say?

and doesn't anyone have experience with the Langevin? I hear it compares favorablly with the U87, too.
19th February 2006
Old 19th February 2006
Lives for gear

I only have experience with the Gefell...sorry.

I found it very "middy"...not so bright...really slight on the low end. To me, it sounded very close to an 87ai...not as nice as the older 87s...I could see it being slightly "smoother" than the AI, but not as edgy, if that's what you're going for. And they're about the same price.

You can get a new AI from Soundpure without shock for about $1900...and a Peluso 87/67 spider shock for $88. The Gefell runs $1800 with a $150 shock (which is limp, IMO). But, you need it...because it's totally proprietary.

The other two are obviously FAR cheaper-so they have that going for them. I've heard good things about both...but always from people who follow it with something like "I never liked 87s much anyway", so...YMMV.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search