Best Budget Headphone amp?? Suggestions?
StrummerRecords
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear Head

Best Budget Headphone amp?? Suggestions?

Any Ideas on the best budget headphone amp that fits in the rack? For around $150??? Im looking at the Behringer BA8000, The two main things it needs to have is a Direct Input on each channel ( so I can give custom seperate mixes to the musicians) and atleast 4 Channels. Any suggestions would be great thanks! (talkback would be nice but not a must)
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Banned

The Beringher is actually a great headphone amp...very useful...for talkback you'll have to pay considerably more.
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueberryRoom View Post
The Beringher is actually a great headphone amp...very useful...for talkback you'll have to pay considerably more.
Agreed. You can use a mic with a switch on it into the direct in for a rigged talkback.

Do a search,I know this has been covered recently.
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Behringer HA4700 Great HP amp. Its cheap too so you can buy several
I have 2 racked in my studio. It has many options like EQ on every channel and Aux in. Mono/L/R Stereo listening/blend.. etc

StrummerRecords
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear Head

ok, I was looking at the HA4700 over the HA8000, but it didnt seem like you could have an independent mix on the 4700 on each channel? is that what the aux in on the front is for? anyone with any experiance with this?
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Either of these Behringers are okay.... until you plug in more than a couple of 600 ohm cans into them. I found I could not track a full band with enough jam for the cans... mind you they were all high impedance AKGs.

Do yourself a favour... go get yourself a used RANE HC-6 headphone amp... they are bomb-proof, have all necessary imputs, and are LOUD as hell with even all 6 channels powering 600 ohm cans (low impedence headphones work even better). There are at least a half dozen on eBay at any given time and usually can be had for under $200. You will never have to buy another headphone amp again
20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerRecords View Post
ok, I was looking at the HA4700 over the HA8000, but it didnt seem like you could have an independent mix on the 4700 on each channel? is that what the aux in on the front is for? anyone with any experiance with this?
The direct in on the front of the HA8000 is exactly that,an independent mix. Although I rarely use that (usually a band mix works well enough),I know alot of guys that do. A good little unit for the price. I've had mine for about 6 years with no issues whatsoever.
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
There are lots of options. Behringer is great if you dont have much money. I used to own the ha4700, but decided to sell it and got the amp800 for $45. It has worked great(crossing fingers) for the last 4 years. I like the small footprint and drives my AT athm40's well. The sound quality is decent and it is loud enough. If you want to spend a little more and get better quality parts check out the Presonus hp4 its $129. A bigger step up in sound quality would be the Ampex 454 headpod for $199. It kills as a headphone amp. One day I compared my apogee ensemble headphones out vs. my Behringer headamp and heard no real difference in quality.
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Head

I own a Tascam MH-8 headphone amplifier which has been great so far. 8 headphone outputs, 250mW per channel, 2 switchable stereo inputs for all channels plus additional direct stereo input on each channel.

Can't control input levels for each channel unfortunately, only the summed output, however the sound and build quality of this box make up for that. Would recommend it.
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

The Samson S-Phone 4 channel Headphone and and mixer is a very good option for you.
Cj
21st March 2011
Old 21st March 2011
Gear interested

thumbsup on the HA8000... had mine for 4+ years and its hasn't let me down yet... able to run 2 hd280's and 4 akg 44's simultaneously, and loud enough to track...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search