Login / Register

yamaha HS50m with HS10w Sub, Or HS80m???
New Reply
Subscribe
StrummerRecords
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Head

yamaha HS50m with HS10w Sub, Or HS80m???

Whats a better setup for the only thing I will have, for mixing, mastering and recording, mostly punk rock, reggae, ska, rock, some metal, and making and recording rap/hip hop and techno beats...

HS50m's with the HS10w sub?

or

HS80m's ALone?
mrc
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
mrc
Gear addict

i would say hs80. with the sub system you would have a lot of trouble with the placement and with calibrating the system.
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'd go HS80M. I prefer to have decent monitors than making up for it with a sub. Plus your bass will most likely sound tighter in mono, so when it sounds great in your sub, it might not sound great on the end-listener's stereo speakers.
7th March 2011
Old 7th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerRecords View Post

HS80m's with the HS10w sub?
do the above
10th March 2011
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Head

You can mix&master with only 2 HS50M, i know peoples that do it Well. It's about Your ears and Your mix/master approache.
10th March 2011
Old 10th March 2011
Gear interested

The HS80Ms are the best bang for my buck. I use these for all types of music and sfx. I produce trip, hip hop, classical, rock, world and folk as well as experimental. The big band productions really sound great on these as well. There's nothing I can compare these Yamies to. I've tried the Mackies 8" and they're the closest sounding (for about twice the price!). All our mixes sound great on other systems when mixed and mastered with the HS80Ms.
BTW, We don't track/mix/master with subs.
My 2 cents.
StrummerRecords
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Gear Head

I got it!!!!

PERFECT SOLUTION FOUND IN MY OPINION FOR MIXING AND MASTERING FOR ANYONE!!!!

I bought the yamaha hs50's and the Focusrite VRM box. I think referencing between the two, Ill get some pretty good sounding mixes. (as long as quality headphones are used)

***(I still going to add the sub later)***

I would love some MORE EXPERIANCED OPINIONS ON THIS SETUP THANKS!
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I wouldn't say that was perfect, some of us like to hear our low end
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

+1 Adlen. I like the HS80ms, they sound great in my personal studio. My room is 12x12x10 and they are more than what I need(speaking of volume potential), but I still do get a decent bass representation...no need for the sub for me. I'd probably return the HS50's and audition the HS80's and see if they work better for you. You can always say you had a tough time making up your mind...my wife gets away with that all the time. This way you can be sure you made the right move. Good luck. thumbsupthumbsup
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to corworld
I had to add a sub to my HS50's. Mixing was too hard without hearing what was going on at 50hz properly. Mastering engineer thanked me on the next mix. Some may be able to do without a sub by referencing on other systems but I couldn't.
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
I had to add a sub to my HS50's. Mixing was too hard without hearing what was going on at 50hz properly. Mastering engineer thanked me on the next mix. Some may be able to do without a sub by referencing on other systems but I couldn't.
Are you using the one from Yamaha? And does it have an on/off switch?

And do you feel hearing the base coming from a sub to be misleading some how? Anyone?

Cheers.
14th March 2011
Old 14th March 2011
Gear maniac

I've been using a different sub for the last year but am waiting for the Yamaha sub to arrive this week. There is so little directionality from low frequencies that I don't feel this is the problem. Finding the right crossover point and level are a different matter. Spend some time getting the calibration right by sweeping tones in your room and making measurements with a spl meter.

I'll let you know how the HS10 sub integrates when I get it set up.
24th March 2011
Old 24th March 2011
Gear maniac

I setup the HS10 with the HS50 monitors this week and am very happy with the integration. Did some sweeps with the sig generator and It has a decent response down to about 32Hz.(specs say 30) The high cut and low cut controls are easy to use. I've been keeping it at 100hz for now.

Use an spl meter and check with white noise and trouble frequencies to get the level set properly. I have a mess just below 60 and 120 around B flat. Overall it's a lot smoother response curve than the home audio sub I was using before.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search