Presonus Digimax sounds GOOD!
New Reply
Subscribe
dasoundjunkie
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Presonus Digimax sounds GOOD!

Just mixed a demo for a buddy of mine tracked at their rehersal room with a Presonus Digimax and I gotta say, it actually sounds pretty good. Don't understand why some people say they suck. Here's the track
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 SoundSpeak.mp3 (6.58 MB, 454 views)
Genius is small pieces Daniel Lanois

I just finished mixing this for my good friends PUYA and I'm pretty damn happy with the results
http://youtu.be/VS7ofNQarlo
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to samth3mancgp Send a message via Skype™ to samth3mancgp
Great track! The acoustic section around 2:40 is awesome! I've had my Digimax for 2 years now and it was one of my best purchases from back then, still love it! (many of the other things from 2 years ago I am now trying to sell, but not the Digimax. I see no reason why anybody would think you couldn't make a good recording with it )

Cheers!
dasoundjunkie
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post
Great track! The acoustic section around 2:40 is awesome! I've had my Digimax for 2 years now and it was one of my best purchases from back then, still love it! (many of the other things from 2 years ago I am now trying to sell, but not the Digimax. I see no reason why anybody would think you couldn't make a good recording with it )

Cheers!
Glad you liked it! But hey, this is Gearslutz and Gear snobbery is alive and well
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear addict

Which Digimax is it? There are four different models out there, after all, and they don't all sound the same (though I think they all sound pretty decent).
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosconpollo View Post
Which Digimax is it? There are four different models out there, after all, and they don't all sound the same (though I think they all sound pretty decent).
I'm really not sure witch one it is ( although it's my understanding that they all use the same pres and the differences are mostly in features ) but knowing these guys and their budget it was probably the least expensive one.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear addict

Have the Digimax LT...

and really like it. Feeds my Steinberg MR816csx with 8 more tracks via ADAT and have a very nice 16 track system.

When the material, arrangement, playing, miking, acoustics, etc are excellent, a fine recording inevitably happens.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I'm really not sure witch one it is ( although it's my understanding that they all use the same pres and the differences are mostly in features ) but knowing these guys and their budget it was probably the least expensive one.
The FS and D8 share a preamp design, the older (discontinued) LT and 96K
share a different preamp. And they all have different converters which also affects the sound some.
2nd March 2011
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I have a Digimax 96 and I think the pres are really solid relative to others in the price range (I have tried a few). The low mids are particularly satisfying. I do not think they saturate very well, but at conservative settings you really aren't losing any detail or vibe from your source.

The comparable Focusrite pres are nice also. They are more open and deep sounding, maybe a little scooped in the mids.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to samth3mancgp Send a message via Skype™ to samth3mancgp
The one that I have is the Digimax D8. I think that is the cheapest in the series? I think the pres get the job done very well. I am working on expanding my pre collection with a few more SCA kits, a UA solo 610/M610, and maybe something else? I'm trying to make good decisions and have "controlled G.A.S." I have made plenty of impulse purchases, and mis-informed purchases and I am trying to change that. Luckily the Digimax happened to be a worthwhile impulse purchase!
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to artur.fisher
Great recording.
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Just sold my digimax LT. I must say that I am going to miss it, I made my first recordings with it piped into a 002.

I used to work at a TV station with a deep mic locker, and I tell you... U47 FET's, U87's, 414B-ULS's all came through with those pres. They get the job done! The inserts are nice to have as well...

They won't stop you from making great music, let's put it that way.

Working on my band's first EP. First record I've performed on since 2010
http://bit.ly/MEMOSuicideForest
WKG
3rd March 2011
Old 3rd March 2011
WKG
Gear addict

I've still got my Digimax LT. If you bypass the conversion and just use the sends for the pres they are really pretty good. The conversion is ok but it's got just a bit of haze to it. That said if it was the only piece you had to track with you wouldn't have anything significant holding you back but your own chops.
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I've still got my Digimax LT. If you bypass the conversion and just use the sends for the pres they are really pretty good. The conversion is ok but it's got just a bit of haze to it. That said if it was the only piece you had to track with you wouldn't have anything significant holding you back but your own chops.
+2 on the LT conversion haze..I had one that I had Matt@BLA mod..Yes,I'll say it. It was night and day difference..
4th March 2011
Old 4th March 2011
WKG
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
+2 on the LT conversion haze..I had one that I had Matt@BLA mod..Yes,I'll say it. It was night and day difference..

I actually didn't notice the LT's haze until I got my 003R back with the sig modifications. I would have promptly sent the LT in but they weren't doing them anymore...
dasoundjunkie
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur.fisher View Post
Great recording.
Glad you liked it, Had fun mixing it. It really is amazing what can be acomplished with cheap gear now
WKG
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
WKG
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
-The 48k and 96 are very close but with one op-amp change (improvement) due to a chip being discontinued.
-The LT is it's own unique preamp design and isn't found anywhere else.
-The Digimax FS borrows it's preamp from the successful FirePod preamp design.
-The LT and original Digimax 48k use Alesis 24bit converters.
-The Digimax 96k and Digimax FS use high dynamic range AKM converters. -The FS even uses the latest JetPLL clock circuit for extremely low jitter and high stability.
It'd be interesting to learn a bit more about the LT's pre, it is actually quite good.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
It'd be interesting to learn a bit more about the LT's pre, it is actually quite good.

I had an LT 8. I regret selling it. You can pick these up used for quite cheap.
19th March 2011
Old 19th March 2011
Gear addict

FS here... lov'em thumbsup
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Yahoo to Chroma Rec
I am thinking about going with presonus after having very bad experience with m-audio firewire interfaces and pt m-powered. I am looking to put together a portable recording rig for my production company. My question is, do all digimax models support 48k 24bit with the lightpipe? Does anyone know if they are fully compatible with Windows 7, PT 10 and Nuendo 4? All I need is 16 ins and at least 8 outs for my portable rig. I was thinking of going with either a firestudio or firepod and a digimax, any suggestions? BTW That sample sounded great, was it also mixed withe the digimax?
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds good!!
Find out which one (FS, D8, LT) you used please :D
dasoundjunkie
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroma Rec View Post
I am thinking about going with presonus after having very bad experience with m-audio firewire interfaces and pt m-powered. I am looking to put together a portable recording rig for my production company. My question is, do all digimax models support 48k 24bit with the lightpipe? Does anyone know if they are fully compatible with Windows 7, PT 10 and Nuendo 4? All I need is 16 ins and at least 8 outs for my portable rig. I was thinking of going with either a firestudio or firepod and a digimax, any suggestions? BTW That sample sounded great, was it also mixed withe the digimax?
It was mixed ITB in Cubase
dasoundjunkie
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
Sounds good!!
Find out which one (FS, D8, LT) you used please :D
I think it's the cheapest one ( their words )
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search