New Reply
Subscribe
Anadrolic
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear addict

Starting out with limited Cash.

Greetings!

For the last 10 years I've beein playing guitar, preforming, recroding in different studios etc. Generally playing progressive\tech stuff(SikTh,Protest the hero etc) and some blues and soft rock.

One thing that was also missing for me is creating beats and some electronic music(Something that I've done when i was 15 and after a computer crash with no recovery i stopped doing and just focused on guitar).
The guitar sound I've got covered VHT PT Ultralead for a Poweramp(not using it's preamp)>AXE FX ULTRA>Midi Controller>Ibanez\Schecter guitars.

I want to get a small nice set up for myself to create some Beats and electronic music as i mentiond.
I was thinking about the following, so please let me have your opinion on the general setup and if you'll have any input I'll be glad to hear it:

Sound Iterface- Presonous Firestudio
Monitors- Yamaha HS80
Synth- Motif XF(Or the older XS)
Pads- AKAI MPC 5000(Or something else, not sure about this one)

BTW: I was also thinking about getting some EastWest samples for my computer since they got some really great orchestral sounds there.
I wanna use the Motiff as the base of all things I guess, or should I use a PC with Cubase and some VST's as the base?

I wanna stay minimal and not have a ton of equipment that i'll bearly know how to use.
So I think a synth such as the Motif can be good for a start with a good PC with some VST's(since the key of the Motiff can be used as a controller for Cubase right?) and later on probably purchase an MPC.

Hopefully I was clear, English is not my mother toungue.

Thanks a lot for your help!

1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

Looks like a good set up. What kind of synth sounds are you looking for in a synthesizer? Also how many audio tracks are you max going to record at the same time? Are you going to use the Firestudio as a sort of mixer?

If you only going to record a stereo track and not eight tracks at ones then you might think of getting an interface with less In/Out's and add a small mixer.

TC Electronic makes some good interfaces and you get a TC reverb as well.

Desktop Konnekt 6
TC Electronic | Desktop Konnekt 6

Or

Impact Twin
TC Electronic | Impact Twin

I used to own a PreSonus DigiMax FS and four of the pre-amps, 2,4,6 and 8 stopped working after 18 month. I couldn’t get a refund so I don't like PreSonus.
AndromedaA6,Casio CZ1,Elka Synthex(midi),Korg MS20/MS50,Minimoog ModelD(midi),Voyager AE,Prophet5 v3.31,ProOne,Prophet08 AE,Jupiter-8(midi),TeeBee MK3,Synthesizers.com Studio66,Yamaha CS30,Ensoniq SQ80
Drums
Roland DDR30,R8m,DrumStationII
Efx
Eventide H3000D/SE,Lexicon 200,Dynacord DPR20X,KlarkTeknik DN780,Symetrix 606,DeltaLab ADM1024,Korg SDD2000,Roland RE301,TKAudio DP1,Mu-Tron-II,MXR Phrase100,Sony MU-R201
Other
http://soundcloud.com/demokid
http://youtube.com/demokid2000
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear maniac

I'll just make a pitch for you to have an all digital studio. It is really nice to be able to see the midi on a screen and move it around with a mouse. You can invest in a decent controller with pads on it and then buy all software you want for making music. If this is going to be totally electronic I suggest Reason. I haven't used their Record software, but you should consider it.

Ken
Anadrolic
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear addict

Thanks for the input!

Well, about tracking in the same time I'll be probably tracking only instrument at a time, since its just me.
Looking for a lot of string sounds, orchestral style and of course a lot of good snare sounds, kicks etc, so i thought the motif is good for that stuff.

I agree about the whole midi stuff that it's a lot more comfortable moving it on the screen and stuff.
That's why i wanna use the PC as well with some east west stuff.
I wanna have some sort of a combo of a PC and a Work station(doesn't crash, and some stuff is just more comfortable to play).
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Take a look at the Samson R5A and R6A's over the HS80's if you can, I found the top end to be cleaner and more precise. I've checked out most of the monitors in the lower price range before buying and for me personally I found the Samson's to have the best overall sound, especially for more tech/electronic stuff (I do feel they are very underrated in this price range) But nothing beats personal experience, so if you can take a listen somewhere then do.
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I say go for Yamaha HS80. They sound good... you can listen to them for long sessions without getting a head ake... but they are still pterry pricise which you want of a studio monitor. Really ypu want to spend a lot of money on monitors. If it sounds good in a Genelec 8260a it will sound great in a Samson speaker.

I say go for a sound card with less In/Out's... and get a mixer. Check out a used Allen&Heath WZ3 14:4:2... great pre-amp's, EQ's, 6 Aux sends, 4 subs.

Take care!
Anadrolic
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear addict

Thanks everybody!

I really liked the overall sound of the HS80, and as you mentioned you can listen to them for hours and not get a headache.
Beside that, I heard that they are really good for mixing as well, and generally really good speakers for their price range.

Some of you here suggested a mixer, why should i use one?
Since most of my work is gonna be either on a Motif/Mpc or on the PC itself what will i be doing with the mixer? controlling bass/treble etc?

A chain such as Motif>MPC>Mixer>Sound Interface>PC ?
Not sure about the usage of the mixer here..advice please.

Thanks a lot!
Anadrolic
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear addict

Another question that i forgot to ask is, for the purposes that I'm looking how's the Motif compared to the Phantom?
I saw that the Phantom has a much bigger screen, and comes along with nice pads. But how's the overall sound?
Anadrolic
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear addict

Anybody? some input?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search