New Reply
Subscribe
SamSites
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear nut

buzzing speaker adam a7

Héy,

I have a pair of Adam a7 monitors + I have cubase on my pc.

When I record fe drums, bass etc the left side channel (woofer) makes a sort of buzzing noise when I turn the volume up.

If I pan to the other side that buzzing noise sometimes is there (depending on the frequency and volume), but in general it's much less.

When I push the 'faulty' woofer just a little the buzzing noise goes away and then comes back ...

I sometimes just let the music play a little at a reasonable volume. After a while the buzzing noise goes away ... but not always ...

Is this normal?

When I play audio cd's via Windows Media Player through my Adams, I don't get any buzzing noise even at max volume. It's only if I record a tune (typical! )

What can cause this?
Am I just putting to much low end through the speaker?
Is my speaker blown? (I've tried the method to push the speaker a little, and I don't hear any scraping noise)
Are there some project settings I'm having wrongfully setup?

I'm using a Tascam FW-1082 interface.

Thanks for all the help!

Sam
SamSites
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear nut

Nobody?
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Damaged bass woofer - I had something similar with one of mine a while back. Sent it in for a new woofer and now it's faultless.

A7s won't take loads of low end. If you start dropping tonnes of bass on them, the woofers start to throw up problems fairly quickly...
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear nut

Make sure you are not using energy saver lightbulbs in the room.If you are switch them to regular ones. I had this problem about 2 years ago. Bad buzzing sound in the audio of my room. Then i took my setup over to my brothers house and it was gone. went back to my house , and the noise was back. I switched out the light bulbs in the room and the noise was gone. This might not be your problem but in my case it was. florescent lighting sucks for recording studios. Anybody else ever have this happen to them?
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSites View Post
Héy,

I have a pair of Adam a7 monitors + I have cubase on my pc.

When I record fe drums, bass etc the left side channel (woofer) makes a sort of buzzing noise when I turn the volume up.

If I pan to the other side that buzzing noise sometimes is there (depending on the frequency and volume), but in general it's much less.

When I push the 'faulty' woofer just a little the buzzing noise goes away and then comes back ...

I sometimes just let the music play a little at a reasonable volume. After a while the buzzing noise goes away ... but not always ...

Is this normal?

When I play audio cd's via Windows Media Player through my Adams, I don't get any buzzing noise even at max volume. It's only if I record a tune (typical! )

What can cause this?
Am I just putting to much low end through the speaker?
Is my speaker blown? (I've tried the method to push the speaker a little, and I don't hear any scraping noise)
Are there some project settings I'm having wrongfully setup?

I'm using a Tascam FW-1082 interface.

Thanks for all the help!

Sam
exact same problem , 1st time Adam said they can't hear the buzz and sent it back ... second time i got it swapped .. now i hear this buzz again...
only when i solo kick /bass when a whole track is playing obviously i can't hear it because of all the mid /high freqs playing ...
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Gear nut

Had the same problem, Adam haven't listen to my problem so I 've switched to KRK VXT6
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Speakers can be tested with a sine wave sweep. Any buzzing will stand out, and can be investigated this way. Make a slow sine wave sweep e.g. from 40herz to a few hundred herz on your DAW. Test each speaker individually. Could be the speaker voicecoil/surround/dustcap, even the enclosure, or something in the room.
Leo..
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
Speakers can be tested with a sine wave sweep. Any buzzing will stand out, and can be investigated this way. Make a slow sine wave sweep e.g. from 40herz to a few hundred herz on your DAW. Test each speaker individually. Could be the speaker voicecoil/surround/dustcap, even the enclosure, or something in the room.
Leo..
Hi Leo that's exactly what i did and told Adam to do , i also sent them a mic'd sample of the noise ....

i opened the speaker but no dancing bits inside ... if i touch the woofer the noise stops for a few seconds then it starts again , i don't think it's the room or the stand unfortunately ...
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

It doesn't sound like a blown woofer IMHO. Cooked woofers have usually rubbing, or stuck voice coils. They sound bad all the time, have no volume, and smell bad in the centre.
That said, I have had almost cooked rattling voicecoils in the past. This only happens with a lot of power.

Find the offending frequency, and start looking/touching. It might just be a buzzing pigtail.

Separate the woofer from the enclosure, and/or swap the woofers and see if the fault travels with the woofer.

Found some other posts with loose spade terminals on the tweeter, leaking woofer/box seal, loose pieces of wood inside the cabinet, and loose bass ports.

Could you post the mic'd sample?
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
It doesn't sound like a blown woofer IMHO. Cooked woofers have usually rubbing, or stuck voice coils. They sound bad all the time, have no volume, and smell bad in the centre.
That said, I have had almost cooked rattling voicecoils in the past. This only happens with a lot of power.

Find the offending frequency, and start looking/touching. It might just be a buzzing pigtail.

Separate the woofer from the enclosure, and/or swap the woofers and see if the fault travels with the woofer.

Found some other posts with loose spade terminals on the tweeter, leaking woofer/box seal, loose pieces of wood inside the cabinet, and loose bass ports.

Could you post the mic'd sample?
of course :
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 A7 sine 100HZ noise.mp3 (1.42 MB, 279 views)
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Listened to the sample.

Sounds like something vibrating. Not like a damaged/blown woofer.
Don't just concentrate on the woofer. could be the cabinet as well.
Put a sock in the port, to see if it is a loose port.
Separate the woofer from the cabinet, and run that tone again.
Look for loose, rattling wiring inside the cabinet.
Swap the woofers, to see if the problem travels with the woofer.
Must be able to be found with looking, poking, prodding.
I have used my DAW to cut the 100herz fundamental from that Mp3.
What is left is an oscillation, mainly in the zero crossing, and the negative half of the sine wave. Pigtail?
It might even be the amp....
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Leo thanks a lot for your comments.
tomorrow i'll do all the tests , but i remember having pulled the woofer from the cabinet on the 1st defective speaker and the noise came from the woofer .
i'll keep you posted
ciao
lorenzo
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear nut

This is an ongoing issue with these.

Others have been using this thread for sometime:

Adam A7 rattling/buzzing

First, I sent the entire speaker back to the web store and got them replaced.

2 months later. Buzzzzzzzzz

I sent my woofers in and they replaced them. Then a few months later....
buzzzzzzzzzz.

It's back! like a zombie mosquito on drugs.

I was just getting good at mixing with these things too!

Can't sell em with clear conscious...

I hate you Adam! If that is your real name?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search