Mimicking the slide guitar sound w/ plugins?
Old 7th January 2011
Gear maniac

Mimicking the slide guitar sound w/ plugins?

I dont play guitar but i love the sound. I recently realized one of my fav tones is made with a slide guitar so im trying to replicate the sound with a synth and plugins.

Figure i'd go to work with guitar rig 4 and play with the vibrato but i wanted to ask if there are any other methods i should try.

thoughts?
Old 7th January 2011
Gear addict

In all honesty the only way to get a slide guitar sound is using a slide guitar, but by all means if you figure a way to get it with a synth do please share sound clips and how you achieved it.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1220 View Post
In all honesty the only way to get a slide guitar sound is using a slide guitar, but by all means if you figure a way to get it with a synth do please share sound clips and how you achieved it.
I would be interested in hearing your results as well.

My suggestion would have been to look for sample libraries.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Get a Guitar....that's what imma be doing soon cuz you cant emulate the real thing with primary stuff. Those who wanna show me a skilled pianist yeah what ever you still hear it's a vst or preset.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Buy one pick up. One guitar string. Find a piece of wood, a wine bottle, and some nails.

YouTube - Jack White makes a Diddley Bow

Lmfoa at the comment: I tought it whas 1 off the cows.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Lmfoa at the comment: I tought it whas 1 off the cows.
What does "I tought it whas 1 off the cows" mean please?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Even if you play normal guitar, Slide is not an easy thing (at least it wasnt for me)

Its a very different beast than normal guitar IMHO.

Back to the poster's question, how to emulate slide guitar with virtual instruments/plugins??
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
What does "I tought it whas 1 off the cows" mean please?
Dont ask me it whas a comment in that video above.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
Even if you play normal guitar, Slide is not an easy thing (at least it wasnt for me)

Its a very different beast than normal guitar IMHO.

Back to the poster's question, how to emulate slide guitar with virtual instruments/plugins??

Therre is none...the sound is been given by SLIDING over a string wich give's you that effect same for reggae you need a guitar to get that chukking wah sound.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, OP, your problem is solved by Mr. Gdup

Its impossible (dawg)
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

There are decent electric guitar sounds out there. It would be a matter of setting the note bend range to perhaps an octave, or a fifth. Usually, the default is a whole step bend range, which would work sometimes, and other times limit your ability to do what a real slide player would do. When I used to do midi pedal steel parts, I'd set up one midi channel with a half-step bend range, another channel with a whole-step bend range, and, if I needed it, a third channel with a fifth or octave bend range. Sometimes, you start your lick with the pitch bend wheel down, so you can ease up to the pitch.

Years ago, I picked up a lap steel in a pawn shop. Although playing in tune takes practice (or luck), you could also pull your part into tune with pitch correction software in graphic mode.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear maniac

ok it is looking impossible...but maybe i'll stumble onto a more interesting sound in the process...whatever...thanks anyway yall.

on another note...anyone got recommendations for a beginner? I only got an acoustic guitar so i need an electric one im sure.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = View Post
ok it is looking impossible...but maybe i'll stumble onto a more interesting sound in the process...whatever...thanks anyway yall.

on another note...anyone got recommendations for a beginner? I only got an acoustic guitar so i need an electric one im sure.

I'm tryn to buy me a yamaha pacifica 112 seems like a great begginer guitar. I dunno what kind off music you like you can go for a strat,telecaster, les pauls etc...
Old 8th January 2011
Taking Down your Network

I would recommend you go for the real thing. It's not as hard as most people think. In fact, slide guitar (in open tuning) is the perfect entrance for a beginner wanting to learn the blues.

Learning the beginning elements of slide guitar is easy; tune your axe to an open chord, and wham that thing around the neck. Three positions and you've got the blues! Robert Johnson learned to play slide on a length baling wire he nailed to the side of a barn; basically a primitive diddly bow.

Most peeps make the mistake of trying to learn to play slide in standard tuning. Major error. You get few overtones and harmonic interplay, as you do from multiple strings. Just listen to the best slide players (Duane, Cooder, Rait); they almost always play in open tunings.

It's amazing how little time it takes a decent beginner to get a good slide sound in open tuning. If you're just going to use this for an effect, and not a solo section, you will get results quickly just fooling around. If you want single note lines, and don't have the finger muting technique down, mute all the unneeded strings with fabric battens and play on one string. No one will know.

For years I've wanted to build a primitive 'log' laptop slider with maybe two of three huge diameter strings and a single humbucker. Kind of a diddly bow with extra ballz. Lots of mass, and all geared towards sustain. I figured I could use it for huge slide avalanches of sound.
Still haven't got around to building it.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear interested

Lightbulb Slide Guitar

Upload your song (MP3 format) to an FTP site then email me. Or just email me the MP3. I will then record some slide guitar (for free) and send you the AIFF file through my ftp site (i'll send you the login info). Then you can drag and drop my slide guitar into your sequence editor. There's your slide guitar. Now if you sell the dong and make a million, I expect credit and a check in the mail.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1220 View Post
I've heard a couple of synth parts that came moderately close to a heavily affected pedal steel sound, but, overall, yeah, mostly agreed.

(Later versions of the algorhythmic arrangement program Band-in-a-Box have some pedal steel 'instruments' that come close enough to stand in a rough songwriter demo. I wouldn't shop it to the shiny suits in Nashville, but it might work for you.)

However there are bunches of slide samples.

Back around the start of the decade, I think, there was a slick TV advert with a 'soulful' acoustic slide that appeared to have been constructed from samples. (Which is kind of sad, since there are so many quite expert slide players in LA. But no one wants to pay for original music anymore when a guy from the agency's media department can either whip something up out of ACID or other software or they can simply license an old, 'tried and true' song from the past.)

If all you want is the signature sound (or cliche sound, for you cynics) of a single upward slide, even non-guitarists can often figure out how to do that to their satisfaction.

BTW, you don't need a steel/resonator guitar to do slide. Here's a slide part played on a $15 toy guitar I bought in Mexico (IIRC):

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ar-demo-24.mp3

Boy... I sure wish Jules would straighten out the upload utility here. As it stands, you can only upload a given file (under any name) once. Which is fine except that you can't apparently refer to that already uploaded file and get the cute little player to show up. Hence the fact that I have to post the URL of the file on the GS servers.

I tried renaming the file, cutting and pasting text, cutting and pasting the whole quote -- nothing. Once you've attached a given file to a post, you can't get it to show up in the cute little player again no matter what, far as I can tell. Sorry, I guess you'll have to go through the motions of DLing it. So silly.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversider View Post
Upload your song (MP3 format) to an FTP site then email me. Or just email me the MP3. I will then record some slide guitar (for free) and send you the AIFF file through my ftp site (i'll send you the login info). Then you can drag and drop my slide guitar into your sequence editor. There's your slide guitar. Now if you sell the dong and make a million, I expect credit and a check in the mail.
LOL thanks for the offer but i'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea. No songs yet...basically trying to experiment with the sound and how it would work in my hip-hop based production. I wish you were in LA though, then we could connect.

I need to listen to more stuff for inspiration. Not a huge fan of blues but i fuks with reggae and shit like this: YouTube - twin sister - ginger

I'm open to recommendations.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear nut

I gotta agree with the majority. Guitar is one instrument I have yet to hear sound good coming from anything other than a guitar.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think Wavelore has pedal steel gt. vsti, maybe could help you

Matti
Old 8th January 2011
Gear nut

If you're playing slide on electric, make sure to put your action up a lot higher, else you get that nasty clanking sound of the slide hitting of the frets.

-J
Old 8th January 2011
cork sniffer

Sorry, kind of late to the party here...but yeah, getting a good slide sound is hard enough to do on an actual guitar let alone a softsynth.

Distorted viola might get you close, but guitar is really the best. There are 2 basic slide styles...loud, buzzy and raw (metal slide), or precise, mellow, and singing (glass slide). They are both good, you have to fit the part to the song.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = View Post
I dont play guitar but i love the sound. I recently realized one of my fav tones is made with a slide guitar so im trying to replicate the sound with a synth and plugins.

Figure i'd go to work with guitar rig 4 and play with the vibrato but i wanted to ask if there are any other methods i should try.

thoughts?
Wavelore Glide Resonator Slide Guitar v1.1

I haven't tried nor, do I know anything about it. I just found it while looking for the exact same type of plugin/sound. Wavelore has more 'guitar' plugins also, I think. I know it's a year late but hopefully, it might be something useful to you.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I heard a pedal steel sample in Reason (3rd party, can't recall who) that sounded pretty good.

As for DIY, you'd need a portamento style (chromatic) sound so i guess that would mean quick pitch-shifting? Good luck with it, post a sample when you're done
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieVU View Post
If you're playing slide on electric, make sure to put your action up a lot higher, else you get that nasty clanking sound of the slide hitting of the frets.

-J
This is true, however start by changing string gauge on the high strings.

I got a squier tele just for slide in the summer.....works good with .017, .021, .024 on the high strings

Make them all straight wires (even the third) instead of the third one wound...works even nicer---cheers!
Old 29th December 2012
I play slide guitar and wanted a steel guitar. They are really expensive so I was looking for a plug-in to mimic steel guitar and I stumbled across this virtual steel guitar. The video looks cool and promising for a slide guitar sound via keyboards.

I neve bought it but it looks cool.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search