Login / Register
 
New interface - Echo Layla24 or 3G?
New Reply
Subscribe
marcreeves
Thread Starter
#1
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #1
Gear addict
 
marcreeves's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK

Thread Starter
marcreeves is offline
New interface - Echo Layla24 or 3G?

So I'm looking to update my interface, and have the choice of a Layla24 or the newer Layla 3G.

Basically I can get the Layla24 several hundred pounds less than the 3G, and as I understand it, the 3g isn't necessarily much better than the 24. So should I just get the 24?

It would be good to save a bit of cash, but I want to get a really great interface, and something I won't be looking at upgrading for quite some time. I used to always try and save money, but then I found I was often skimping on things, and so I was constantly upgrading my gear. I'm really trying to invest in some solid pieces of kit now, that will last me some time.

So any advice as to which I should go for?
__________________


www.mixitstudios.co.uk - Professional digital mixing and mastering services with the budget conscious musician in mind.

My new album 'The Beginning' out March 25th 2013.www.marcreeves.co.uk [/U]
www.youtube.com/marcreevesmusic
#2
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #2
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 396

fiddler59 is offline
I have owned both Layla3G and the Layla 24. Both are excellent interfaces and I really couldn't tell any difference between the two interfaces. The only thing that concerns me about the Layla 24 is how long Echo will support the 24 with driver updates.

DB
#3
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
changeng's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,097

changeng is offline
I have a used Layla 24 - it sounds fine - I went with that instead of the 3G for two reasons - it was cheaper of course, and also because you install the card into your computer, so it makes everything that much more solid.

That said, mine has been glitchy on Reaper.
#4
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 595

soul&folk is offline
I've got a Layla24 and it's got a card in my computer, so I'm not sure what changeng meant by that being a feature of the 3g that the Layla24 doesn't have. I also have a PCMCI card for my laptop and a special cable, so it's got cool options if you have both parts as I have. I too use Reaper and haven't had any issues. Not sure why you were having problems.
#5
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #5
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
I have the Layla 24, and it is a solid piece of gear. Whether there is any difference sonically between it and the 3G I do not know.

However, there are 2 built in preamps on the 3G if needed.
#6
17th December 2010
Old 17th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
changeng's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,097

changeng is offline
what I meant was the layla 24 has a card you install and as I understand it, the 3G is firewire?
marcreeves
Thread Starter
#7
18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
  #7
Gear addict
 
marcreeves's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK

Thread Starter
marcreeves is offline
I think (despite it costing me a couple hundred more), I'm going to go with the Layla 3G, just for the sake of compatibility/support. The 24 is getting fairly old now, and I want something that lasts. I'm not too fussed about the preamps on the 3G, but they'll be a nice extra nonetheless (and I've heard they're pretty good?)

Can't wait until I have my new 3G+ Pro Tools 9 setup

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated
#8
18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: UK & France
Posts: 1,475

ivansc is offline
I have an old Darla 20 bit card in one o fmy machines & in spite of it not being officially supported since win XP it works just fine in 7/32 bit with the last beta drivers.

Scary!
#9
18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
  #9
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 396

fiddler59 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
what I meant was the layla 24 has a card you install and as I understand it, the 3G is firewire?
3G is PCI not firewire.....the Audiofire 8 is the firewire version !

DB
#10
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
  #10
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
I have the Layla 24, and it is a solid piece of gear. Whether there is any difference sonically between it and the 3G I do not know.

However, there are 2 built in preamps on the 3G if needed.
Since we're on the subject of Laylas, I am curious about whether there is a sonic improvement with the 3g. Anybody own both or compared them?
#11
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
  #11
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 396

fiddler59 is offline
I have owned both and i can say that there is no difference in sound at all !!


DB
#12
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 295

drbam is offline
I've owned both and could easily tell the difference in the better converters in in 3G. I've been a long time Layla user having owned one of the first 100 made of the Layla 20s and have had 3 Layla 24s in different systems. That said, I upgraded to an RME Multiface 2 system on my main studio computer. I compared the RME with the 3G which I had installed on a secondary PC. Although the RME sounds better (more open, transparent, solid low end) I heard much less difference between the 3G and the RME than the 3G and the Layla 24. IMO the 3G is definitely an upgrade from the Layla 24 and worth the money. If you can't hear the difference then don't spend the money but if all things aren't equal, meaning you need to conduct your listening experiment on good monitors in a well treated room with well recorded material. Otherwise you probably wouldn't hear the difference in the Layla 24 and a Lavry, Apogee, or other higher end units. Or use a very good set of headphones through a quality headphone amp.

Cheers
#13
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
  #13
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
Since we're on the subject of Laylas, I am curious about whether there is a sonic improvement with the 3g. Anybody own both or compared them?
Thanks for the comments.
#14
28th December 2010
Old 28th December 2010
  #14
Gear Head
 
InvertedPhase's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 59

InvertedPhase is offline
Question about Layla

I have a LAyla 24 but cannot find the PCI card for it. Wondering if anyone wants to sell one?
#15
28th December 2010
Old 28th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,919

TurboJets is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbam View Post
That said, I upgraded to an RME Multiface 2 system on my main studio computer. I compared the RME with the 3G which I had installed on a secondary PC. Although the RME sounds better (more open, transparent, solid low end) I heard much less difference between the 3G and the RME than the 3G and the Layla 24.

Cheers
Great info drbam, thanks
Cheers!
#16
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
  #16
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1

obsdiana is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
I have a LAyla 24 but cannot find the PCI card for it. Wondering if anyone wants to sell one?
If you have a Layla24 Laptop card, we can make a change, If interested!
#17
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
  #17
Gear nut
 
Psychoguitarz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 97

Psychoguitarz is offline
I've owned Layla 20bit, Layla 24/96 and Layla 3G - issues and tech support issues

I have owned several of these cards. I would purchase 2 of each Layla interface so I'd have a duplicate DAW at home as well as in the studio. However, I only purchased 1 Layla3G, which will explain my troubles with their tech support, below and why my studio has been down for a month.

First off, the quality question between Layla 24 and Layla 3G, I did hear and see a performance difference going from Layla 24 to 3G. Layla 3G is definately better, period.

However, I am currently having a few issues with the Layla 3G. My Phantom Power on the 2 Layla 3G Preamps do not work. If you google, it seems to be a chronic problem.

Also, I am not real happy with their tech support, I sent my card back for repair Dec 19th I did not hear anything from Echo Audio about my unit so I waited till after the New Year thinking they may be busy over the holiday. I contact them and they tell me they DON'T HAVE MY LAYLA CARD, IT HAS NOT ARRIVED, and ask me for my tracking #. I send the tracking # and don't hear back from them.

Upon contacting UPS, they tell me, Echo Audio recieved it Dec 27th, one week after it was shipped and Echo Audio told UPS to HOLD it and redeliver at a later time(a week later).

So now they RE-recieved the unit Jan 3rd and as of yesterday Jan 13th they said, we'll put a rush on it. It will be over a month since I sent it out. I rely on this card for everyday use.

With all of that said, I hear nothing but great things about support with RME and their Hammerfall units such as the Multiface II. For piece of mind with stability, performance, quality and Tech Support I am finding it is worth the additional cost of a better unit and "Better Tech Support".
#18
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
  #18
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoguitarz View Post
I have owned several of these cards. I would purchase 2 of each Layla interface so I'd have a duplicate DAW at home as well as in the studio. However, I only purchased 1 Layla3G, which will explain my troubles with their tech support, below and why my studio has been down for a month.

First off, the quality question between Layla 24 and Layla 3G, I did hear and see a performance difference going from Layla 24 to 3G. Layla 3G is definately better, period.

However, I am currently having a few issues with the Layla 3G. My Phantom Power on the 2 Layla 3G Preamps do not work. If you google, it seems to be a chronic problem.

Also, I am not real happy with their tech support, I sent my card back for repair Dec 19th I did not hear anything from Echo Audio about my unit so I waited till after the New Year thinking they may be busy over the holiday. I contact them and they tell me they DON'T HAVE MY LAYLA CARD, IT HAS NOT ARRIVED, and ask me for my tracking #. I send the tracking # and don't hear back from them.

Upon contacting UPS, they tell me, Echo Audio recieved it Dec 27th, one week after it was shipped and Echo Audio told UPS to HOLD it and redeliver at a later time(a week later).

So now they RE-recieved the unit Jan 3rd and as of yesterday Jan 13th they said, we'll put a rush on it. It will be over a month since I sent it out. I rely on this card for everyday use.

With all of that said, I hear nothing but great things about support with RME and their Hammerfall units such as the Multiface II. For piece of mind with stability, performance, quality and Tech Support I am finding it is worth the additional cost of a better unit and "Better Tech Support".
That's truly unfortunate! This is the first negative thing I have heard about echo. I hope it's an aberation.
#19
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
  #19
Gear nut
 
Psychoguitarz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 97

Psychoguitarz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
That's truly unfortunate! This is the first negative thing I have heard about echo. I hope it's an aberation.
Maybe I was the unlucky guy.. And they do better with others.
I will see how everything pans out in the next few days. I may purchase a Multiface next week, if so I will let you all know the difference from 3G to Multiface.

I know you were asking about the Layla 24 and the 3G, I found it was worth every penny to go from 24 to 3G
#20
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
  #20
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoguitarz View Post
Maybe I was the unlucky guy.. And they do better with others.
I will see how everything pans out in the next few days. I may purchase a Multiface next week, if so I will let you all know the difference from 3G to Multiface.

I know you were asking about the Layla 24 and the 3G, I found it was worth every penny to go from 24 to 3G
Thanks. If the Multiface purchase happens, I would love to hear your impressions of how it stacks up to the Echo products.
#21
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
  #21
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 89

xopeth4 is offline
My girlfriend spilled a vodka drink into my computer one fun night, frying my PCI video card and my PCI Layla24 card. I got a new video card for 40 bucks and the rest of the computer was fine... but I just ordered a new Echo firewire interface because I decided it was time to get a new one and I don't want the interface to be "tied" to one machine.

I got the Layla24 when it first came out and it has been rock solid and completely reliable for many many years. The rack part is now a cool doorstop unless someone on eBay wants it without the PCI card-- but i hear they are useless without the card.

This may not have any bearing on the post besides me re-living one fun crazy drunken night in my studio.
#22
12th March 2011
Old 12th March 2011
  #22
Gear nut
 
Psychoguitarz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 97

Psychoguitarz is offline
Definate improvement

I have to say,
From Layla to Layla 24/96 lots of improvements on Performance and Sound
From Layla 24/96 to Layla 3G Performance was a bit better and the sound quality as well. The mic pres quit working in Layla 3G and getting it repaired from Echo was a nightmare. I think they realized what a nightmare it had become as they did send the interface back free of charge( a month and a half late).

I was forced to purchase another card and went with RME Multiface II

I don't know what it is, but the sound quality is SO SMOOTH, I don't seem to get ear fatigue like I used to. The bus assignment with their onscreen mixing console is amazing! Also I run a good bit of midi soft synth as well as DFH Supperrior and up to 40 tracks of audio at times. The Multiface II is running flawless! I am so glad to have made the upgrade.

If it is a choice between Layla 3G(not a bad card) or RME Multiface II go for the RME, you wont be sorry!
#23
12th March 2011
Old 12th March 2011
  #23
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
Thanks for the feedback on the RME!
#24
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #24
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 1

Wiredformayhem is offline
Another Layla 3G fan with dead phantom power

I've been using the ECHO Layla 3G for years and never had any problems with it, until last week when the phantom power stopped working (ch's 1 & 2.) I have a stand-alone phantom power unit which seems to get me up and running, but is it time to move on to a new interface? I'm a huge fan of the Layla 3G and don't feel an honest need to change....unless there is a protracted support scenario in on the horizon. Anyone know what "causes" the failure?
#25
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,963

chk23 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredformayhem View Post
I've been using the ECHO Layla 3G for years and never had any problems with it, until last week when the phantom power stopped working (ch's 1 & 2.) I have a stand-alone phantom power unit which seems to get me up and running, but is it time to move on to a new interface? I'm a huge fan of the Layla 3G and don't feel an honest need to change....unless there is a protracted support scenario in on the horizon. Anyone know what "causes" the failure?
Same for me here - great sound card, but phantom power stopped working two weeks ago (although i'm not fully innocent, it happend after I accidentally plugged in a dynamic mic with phantom power on, interchanging cables - but that should not blow the circuits, should't it?)

I'm still using it because I always planned upgrading to an external preamp and took the opportunity to purchase an Art Pro MPA II - but It's still annoying because it spoils the overall contentment i had so far with this otherwise great sound card...
#26
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
  #26
serious amateur
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 562

omtayslick is offline
I have seen comments about phantom power troubles with the 3g elsewhere as well.

One thing that put me off of the 3g, (I still have a Layla 24/96) is the fact that it is entirely powered by the usb bus. So somehow you are getting phantom power through a 5.5 volt usb source. I don't know how big a real world issue this is, but always found that suspect.

The 24/96 has a/c power. Of course the 24/96 has no phantom power or mic pres.

I hate to see the issues with this, as I think that echo is a very fine company and I am very happy with my Layla.
#27
8th March 2013
Old 8th March 2013
  #27
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2

perkyguitar is offline
Layla 24 vs 3G

I own both as well. Have to say the layla 24 was great for the money when I got it years ago. Bought a used 3g a just few years ago. Not happy with that one. Just grab a preamp knob and you will immediately notice it feels like a cheap peace of crap.
With both the 3G and the layla hooked to the same board doing a A/B comparison the layla 24 sounds better to me. It plays back louder also. Putting the main out fader to unity. The layla 3g has lots more hiss and electrical bleed threw / computer noise. The older layla 24 has much less hiss. Recently powered my whole system Equi=tech balanced power unit. That removed hiss on everything guessing at least by 80%. The layla 24 barley has any hiss; the 3g is still pretty bad.
Let me know if someone wants to by a cheap layla Seattle Tacoma area.

George
#28
8th March 2013
Old 8th March 2013
  #28
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 7

wztczazg is offline
so it makes everything that much more solid.
#29
8th March 2013
Old 8th March 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 1,963

chk23 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkyguitar View Post
I own both as well. Have to say the layla 24 was great for the money when I got it years ago. Bought a used 3g a just few years ago. Not happy with that one. Just grab a preamp knob and you will immediately notice it feels like a cheap peace of crap.
With both the 3G and the layla hooked to the same board doing a A/B comparison the layla 24 sounds better to me. It plays back louder also. Putting the main out fader to unity. The layla 3g has lots more hiss and electrical bleed threw / computer noise. The older layla 24 has much less hiss. Recently powered my whole system Equi=tech balanced power unit. That removed hiss on everything guessing at least by 80%. The layla 24 barley has any hiss; the 3g is still pretty bad.
Let me know if someone wants to by a cheap layla Seattle Tacoma area.

George
I can only guess that you got a defective unit with your used Layla 3G (or maybe experiencing PCI bus issues?). My Layla 3G is dead quiet regarding noise and I never ever heard the tiniest bit of computer noise with it, in fact it's the most quiet audio interface I had so far (and I owned quite some) - I would be surprised if it were otherwise, because the Layla 3G is speced to have a higher dynamic range than the layla 24.
I agree to your comment about the preamp knobs though, they really feel cheap for a 500$ unit.
#30
8th March 2013
Old 8th March 2013
  #30
Gear addict
 
lemonsquash's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Backwoods, Baby

lemonsquash is offline
I suggest anyone considering these take a look at RME interfaces. I have owned 2 Layla24's and an Audiofire 12. While the AD was good for the money I have to say they were both really unstable with WIN7/Reaper (my firewire card had a TI chip). Now I run two PCs - one with RME Hdsp PCI and one with Hdspe (PCIe) - using Multiface 2, no problems on either machines. Hdsp PCI was 130 euros used. I have seen multifaces go for 300 euros.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
prslespaul / Low End Theory
4
dijon / Low End Theory
11
Douglas Whates / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.