what audio interface should i get? $300~
New Reply
Subscribe
kool98769
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Gear interested

Either USB or FireWire works, but i'm guessing that firewire is going to give me the best options.
I'm probably going to be running this into Cubase 4, unless for some reason i decide to buy Cubase 5. Vista 64 bit.

Anyway, I want something that will give me the best sound mic preamp wise. Up until now based off what i've read from places, the M-Audio profire 610 is going to give me the best quality. I used to think that i should go for something that could record drums (i.e. 8 channel mic preamp) but then realized that there is no point in recording drums until I could invest into $1000+ of mics, so i've just decided to program drums until that point. So really, anything with 2 mic preamps is plenty. I'll be doing guitars, bass, and vocals, so i feel like anything over 2 is overkill.

I'm looking at like, $300-ish range. I'd prefer to get something used, for obvious reasons. And software doesn't need to be included-already have cubase 4, and I am familiar with it.

Hope that supplies plenty of information!

And if anyone happens to be knowledgeable on the subject, what should i do for a vocal mic? I'm not sure if i should just grab a mid-range condenser, or just go with a higher end dynamic? If i went for a dynamic, i'd probably go SM7 or try to snag a MD441 or 421 for cheap. Condenser i was thinking try to snag a AT4050/4047?

Thanks in advance!
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

IF you are on a pc the profire 610 is the best in that price range, there is one on evilbay fro $250. If you are on a mac I would get apogee duet in a heartbeat. I bought a profire 2626 on evilbay for $400.(8 mic preamp vs. 2 on the 610) If you are patient you might find one. For mics I would check out a used AKg c214. While dynamics can sound good for some vocals, a condenser will work better on a acoustic guitar and most vocalist. Also some dynamics like the sm7b require a lot of gain and work best with high end preamps.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24.
I also think the Saffire pro 24
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Guru

In that price range, with two mic preamps, the Echo AF4 is your best bet.

As for vocal mics, you really have to try out a few and see what works with your voice. Consider some acoustic treatment where you record as well

-tINY

kool98769
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

In that price range, with two mic preamps, the Echo AF4 is your best bet.

As for vocal mics, you really have to try out a few and see what works with your voice. Consider some acoustic treatment where you record as well

-tINY

Of course, doing it in the right place is key.

I'm actually not going to be doing the majority of the vocals, so it's hard to say what mic is going to work best, haha.

also: I only have a 4 pin firewire connector. 6 to 4 pin cable or does this mean i'll need to buy a firewire card? If i do, no big deal, just figured i should get that figured out.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010

M audio fast track ultra probably has the most I/O under $300.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll take the Saffire 6 USB or the Echo AF4 over the M-Audio any day of the week.

Opus Zero Recording and Audio
www.opuszeroaudio.com
kool98769
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear interested

I'm looking into the saffire stuff pretty strongly.

It says it can be powered externally. would that mean i could run a 6 to 4 pin firewire, and then just power it with the external PSU?

Edit: looks like there seems to be a lot of 64 bit problems with the saffire pro 24 :\
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool98769 View Post
I'm looking into the saffire stuff pretty strongly.

It says it can be powered externally. would that mean i could run a 6 to 4 pin firewire, and then just power it with the external PSU?
Yes sir. I personally use a Saffire Pro 40 and I recommended the Saffire 6 USB to a friend and he loves it.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Head

4 pin firewire

Quote:

also: I only have a 4 pin firewire connector. 6 to 4 pin cable or does this mean i'll need to buy a firewire card? If i do, no big deal, just figured i should get that figured out.

you don't need to buy a separate firewire card, you can get cables with one 4 pin end and one 6 pin end, doesn't matter.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear Head

Check also Presonus Firestudio Mobile
kool98769
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
Yes sir. I personally use a Saffire Pro 40 and I recommended the Saffire 6 USB to a friend and he loves it.
What OS do you use?
I'm seeing a lot of stuff about problems on 64 bit systems.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Me and my friend both are running Win7 64bit.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear maniac

My vote goes for a used M-Audio 1814. Can be had for under $300 easily, and often under $200. The two onboard pres sound awesome! And 18 in, 14 out, pretty hard to beat.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear maniac

I'm also having zero issues on 64-bit win7, with both my pro40 and my 6, using a TI chipset firewire card.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010

I am upgrading my studio and was thinking of getting the focusrite saffire 56. Is this a good choice? How else can I improve the studio?
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12mantca View Post
I am upgrading my studio and was thinking of getting the focusrite saffire 56. Is this a good choice? How else can I improve the studio?
Kinda hard to know unless you tell us what you already have and the kind of work you do. LS56 is a great piece of gear though.

Also, hijacking other people's thread is not cool. tutt
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Lives for gear

Emu 0404 USB ($200) has the best specs in the price range. Great preamps, excellent converters.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010

Sorry I don't know how to create one! Am new to this. Sorry

I have a line 6 toneport kb37 ATM with m-audio bx8a deluxe monitors with powermac g5 with a rode NT1a

Would a Saffire 56 be a good idea? What else can I improve?? I am into pop, RndB and record mainly vocals and guitar.
Thanks!!
9th December 2010
Old 9th December 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to fzit0 Send a message via MSN to fzit0 Send a message via Skype™ to fzit0
Quote:
Either USB or FireWire works, but i'm guessing that firewire is going to give me the best options.
I'm probably going to be running this into Cubase 4, unless for some reason i decide to buy Cubase 5. Vista 64 bit.

Anyway, I want something that will give me the best sound mic preamp wise. Up until now based off what i've read from places, the M-Audio profire 610 is going to give me the best quality. I used to think that i should go for something that could record drums (i.e. 8 channel mic preamp) but then realized that there is no point in recording drums until I could invest into $1000+ of mics, so i've just decided to program drums until that point. So really, anything with 2 mic preamps is plenty. I'll be doing guitars, bass, and vocals, so i feel like anything over 2 is overkill.

I'm looking at like, $300-ish range. I'd prefer to get something used, for obvious reasons. And software doesn't need to be included-already have cubase 4, and I am familiar with it.

Hope that supplies plenty of information!

And if anyone happens to be knowledgeable on the subject, what should i do for a vocal mic? I'm not sure if i should just grab a mid-range condenser, or just go with a higher end dynamic? If i went for a dynamic, i'd probably go SM7 or try to snag a MD441 or 421 for cheap. Condenser i was thinking try to snag a AT4050/4047?

Thanks in advance!
Well, I've seen a few m audio profire 610 here in the classifieds for about $250 and they have decent preamps (octane). If you're interested I got an AT4047 for sale here in the classifieds.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ca-at4047.html
kool98769
9th December 2010
Old 9th December 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzit0 View Post
Well, I've seen a few m audio profire 610 here in the classifieds for about $250 and they have decent preamps (octane). If you're interested I got an AT4047 for sale here in the classifieds.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gears...ca-at4047.html
I'd love to, but the mic is going to be around in the spring when i get tax rebate check
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Gear interested

I'm kind of in the same boat looking at spending about $500! I have been doing so much research but I am lost with different people having different issues with these audio interfaces! Everyone raves about the Apogee Duet which I almost pulled the trigger on but my issue is that I have a Motif, Korg R3 and Waldorf Blofeld keyboard I want hooked into the mix so I need more i/o's the Ensemble is just out of my price range at the moment! What are my options having these additional keyboards if I want to go with the Apogee Duet (just deal with plug and un-plug keyboards?), what else do you recommend? Below is what I'm running:

iMac
Logic Studio 9 (Main DAW)
Yamaha Motif
Korg R3
Waldorf Blofeld
MBox 2 (I guess I can use this for midi)
MPC 5000 (forgot to mention)

Thanks look forward to the recommendations!
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Gear interested

MI4

I don't know if you've heard of this lil unit. It came bundled with Cubase some years back - called MI4.

I picked one up use at GuitarCenter some time ago for 100$. Didn't think much of it (as I normally hate usb for audio) - and i just planned on giving it to my sister to mess with recording.

But it said "made in germany" and I thought I'd give it a listen. Turns out this is a HIGH quality little box - both in sound and construction (solid aluminum monorail).

It has great converters (don't recall the actual numbers), but when I opened it out of curiosity - inside it said "made by Kemper Digital" - which is a german company that also builds the Access synths.
Two mic preamps with front instrument IN.
Four line ins (2 sets of 2)
Set of inserts.
Coaxial SPDIF
Midi
And best of all - separate front volume controls for monitor out, headphone out, direct input, and preamp gains. Other options switchable in its little and very stable taskbar app.

Steinberg always subs out its hardware to high grade makers, like RME or in this case Kemper.

These can be found on ebay at a little over 100 today. AWESOME musically sounding little box with pristine converters. Stable drivers on Stein's website. (Vista drivers work great on my 64 bit win 7 pc) Seriously check it out - this bundle used to sell for around 800 bucks 5 yers ago.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to zvukofor
RTR
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

I have a M-audio 610 for sale..send me a PM..it also can be powered by it's power supply
12th December 2010
Old 12th December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12mantca View Post
Sorry I don't know how to create one! Am new to this. Sorry

I have a line 6 toneport kb37 ATM with m-audio bx8a deluxe monitors with powermac g5 with a rode NT1a

Would a Saffire 56 be a good idea? What else can I improve?? I am into pop, RndB and record mainly vocals and guitar.
Thanks!!
I'd hold on to the Line 6 for guitars and because it sounds very good to my ears and Ive compared it side-by side to higher spec interfaces and even preferred it...and because its usb will work with a laptop where as firewire almost never does unless you have a Macbook or really high end windows lap. The Focusrite is a good choice but I would go for the new Mackie Onyx series-and for your needs the $200 2 channel unit would be great and then use the extra money to get something like a GAP Pre73(1 channel) or a FMR RNP (2 channel)...you could also add a compressor like the FMR RNC(Mono) or Art Pro VLAII(Stereo).

Onyx+Pre73+RNC=Around $700 total
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear interested

I have a Saffire Pro 40, but the more affordable saffire pro's have the same preamps/sound quality. It does indeed sound very clean, although the software is a bit confusing to some.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search