mic to thicken a thin sounding voice
New Reply
Subscribe
rol123
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head

Arrow mic to thicken a thin sounding voice

yes, looking for mic to thicken my voice..will buy a used one on ebay. I also want to use this mic for my acoustic guitars. My mic pre is an isa ONE

What do u think of the cad trion 8000? audio technica 4047?

thanks
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I'd try a mxl 2003a for your voice, or a KEL hm2d. For your guitar, I'd try a CAD m179. The Trion 8000 could work for both sources, but you'd get more thickness out of the 2003a or the hm2d. The 4047 is an interesting mic. If your guitar is really bright, it could work, but the high end is funny on that mic - rather subdued in a vintage sort of way. If you want that defined, detailed acoustic guitar sound, the 4047 wouldn't be a good choice. However, if your guitar tracks suffer from too much of that fingernails-on-a-chalkboard sound, the 4047 could help to smooth that out a bit.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Try a good ribbon. When I need a fatter sound or less hype, I grab my fathead and it never disappoints. The fathead plays well with the ISA as I have the ISA428 and have used it for OH with the fathead pair I own. For vox, AG, EG, and fiddle; my neve clones get the majority of the duty. My sytek is used if I want less color or more clarity from it. AG and fiddle sound amazing with the FH through the sytek!

31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Post a clip. How thin are we talking here?
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

B4

before you purchase a mic, consider using eq to fatten up the low end...or also consider a vocal booth that naturally boosts vocal low end...

Good recordings made in great studios will utilize vocal booths for the reason of enhancing the human body's natural resonances of the skull and chest and any other aspect of the body that makes up vocal characteristics. Low mid bass.

www.pandemoniumrecorders.com
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't want the same mic on voice and guitar, of the voice mic is supposed to thicken and fatten the sound. Could end up with a muddy guitar.

Dynamics like the M88, RE-20, MD441, MD 421, SM-7 have a nice proximity effect that I like better than the typical 58 sound.

Condensers and ribbons, I can't speak to the low end offerings. But typically I'd be using a small diaphragm condenser for the acoustic guitar.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I commend you for wanting to get a mic that suits your voice, much better than trying to "fix it in the mix"! I think you want a mic with a transformer in it. One budget model that comes to mind is the Oktava 319, the "modded" versions sound particularly nice, and can be found for around $350 or less.
The Fathead ribbon also is a candidate, at about half that price. Don't give up, you are on the right track! thumbsup
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I would look for an RE-20 used. At some point you'll be able to afford to put it through a great pre as well. Then you'll truly get the benefit.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

doubling or a doubling plugin will fatten it
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Consider your recording enviroment (room) and your mic position if your vocals sound thin.
A new mic may not be what you need. Dotn fall into the trap of thinking gear is the fix. Soemtimes it is, but allot of times its not!

Vocal recording Tips

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Any recommendations you read are basically useless unless the people giving you advice have actually heard what your voice sounds like. You'll get better help if you post a clip.
-Bob's Mom
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Gear addict

Kel HM-2d works really well on thin voices.

DB
PDC
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rol123 View Post
yes, looking for mic to thicken my voice..will buy a used one on ebay. I also want to use this mic for my acoustic guitars. My mic pre is an isa ONE

thanks
A good ribbon, SM7A, etc. Stay away from condensers.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Consider your recording enviroment (room) and your mic position if your vocals sound thin.
A new mic may not be what you need. Dotn fall into the trap of thinking gear is the fix. Soemtimes it is, but allot of times its not!

Vocal recording Tips
+1

Mics are a lot more versatile than people around here would have you think. Mic Placement, acoustic treatment, compression, EQ etc etc... would be my first move before purchasing more microphones.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathawkes View Post
+1

Mics are a lot more versatile than people around here would have you think. Mic Placement, acoustic treatment, compression, EQ etc etc... would be my first move before purchasing more microphones.
I respectfully disagree. The OP will most likely have the same voice all of his life, so why not find the best mic for it early on, and enjoy many good recordings from here on? Also, if you do some serious A/B comparisons, there are pretty big differences between different mics. Acoustics don't matter as much with vocals, and getting it right at the source always beats trying to fix it in the mix later, but does make fixing it easier anyway. Plus, it's a nice thing to own a mic that you like the sound of, you'll always be happy with it.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
Try a good ribbon. When I need a fatter sound or less hype, I grab my fathead and it never disappoints. The fathead plays well with the ISA as I have the ISA428 and have used it for OH with the fathead pair I own. For vox, AG, EG, and fiddle; my neve clones get the majority of the duty. My sytek is used if I want less color or more clarity from it. AG and fiddle sound amazing with the FH through the sytek!
What are your "Neve clones"?
PDC
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
PDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Acoustics don't matter as much with vocals.
Really? Wow. Acoustics are everything. Positioning is everything.

The vocal is the center piece of the mix. Compression is going to bring out all of those unimportant acoustic artifacts.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Really? Wow. Acoustics are everything. Positioning is everything.

The vocal is the center piece of the mix. Compression is going to bring out all of those unimportant acoustic artifacts.
Because of the (normally) close-micing, and because of the (normally) low to moderate volume of a vocal (e.g. not loud enough to excite resonances in the space), the direct-to-reflected ratio of a vocal recording is (normally) very good, so (normally) acoustics don't matter AS MUCH as they can with other sources. Which is not to say they don't matter at all.
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

I guess I'd start with the mic: RE20, MD441 maybe?
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound

What are your "Neve clones"?
CL 7622, 7602 and TNC ACMP-73,81,84's
31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because of the (normally) close-micing, and because of the (normally) low to moderate volume of a vocal (e.g. not loud enough to excite resonances in the space), the direct-to-reflected ratio of a vocal recording is (normally) very good, so (normally) acoustics don't matter AS MUCH as they can with other sources. Which is not to say they don't matter at all.
+1
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

V69M w/ NOS Mullard 12AT7. Aim between mouth and chest... bingo.
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
The human voice having a conversation is around 60db, that's a lot louder than you would think and singing in many cases is quite a bit louder than talking. Now consider the distortions caused by early reflections (this causes the effect that many people mistake for "digital harshness") it doesn't take very much to have a negative effect on sound quality.
You might also consider why so many people spend all that time and money to build a vocal booth. The space you record in is very important. Now if you have a relatively large bedroom with carpeted floors, shelves, a bed, curtains, upholstered furniture and optimal proportions, you might find that you're sitting pretty. Don't get me wrong though, I totally support expanding ones mic locker, but it's important to have perspective. New shiny gear is often NOT the solution to unsatisfactory results.
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

no one's mentioned "working" the mic and proximity effect. Johnny Cash a foot off the mic wouldn't sound near as "thick"

For less desirable acoustical conditions, stick with a dynamic. The variable roll off filter on a 421 wound be great. Stay on the mic and roll off to taste.

"Thickening" also has to do with the entire signal chain and proper use of compression.
RiF
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

I can recommend the Mojave Audio 201FET for both vocal and acoustic guitar. It sounds very up-front and "big", sometimes too "big" for already "big" vocals.
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Jonathawkes;5951964
You might also consider why so many people spend all that time and money to build a vocal booth. The space you record in is very important. [/QUOTE]

IMHO, people build vocal booths to keep sounds OUT of their vocal tracks, not because they like the sound of a booth on a vocal.
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO, people build vocal booths to keep sounds OUT of their vocal tracks, not because they like the sound of a booth on a vocal.
...another

...you only need to take the time to study how many of the most amazing vocals were recorded over the past 50 plus years (Motown, Nashville, Memphis, Philly, Atlanta, etc.) not to mention the classic jazz recordings of the 50's and 60's (not done in isolated booths)...too many times an overly "dead" vocal booth is more the detriment then asset to great vocal tracking...
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Out of all the midpriced mics I've had (Compared to U47's and Manley's), I would like to have the BLUE BLUEBERRY BACK again. Excellent for voice, and enough clarity and air for you guitar. YES, the BLUEBERRY!! that's midprice by the way......other than that, BUY whatever you want over 2K if you gotz it like that.......LOL.

The HolloMedia Group
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...another

...you only need to take the time to study how many of the most amazing vocals were recorded over the past 50 plus years (Motown, Nashville, Memphis, Philly, Atlanta, etc.) not to mention the classic jazz recordings of the 50's and 60's (not done in isolated booths)...too many times an overly "dead" vocal booth is more the detriment then asset to great vocal tracking...
Madonna (Bathtub), Prince (Control Room), Someone else I read (Stairway with a monitor for reverb or something). It doesn't matter if the song is BOOOTY!!!
1st November 2010
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rol123 View Post

thanks
4047SV, sounds nice, would like to have that one back as well. MO, a little dark for guitar though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search