analog upgrade for Metric Halo 2882
New Reply
Subscribe
friction909
23rd October 2010
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear nut

analog upgrade for Metric Halo 2882

Does anyone know if anyone performs or could explore performing an upgrade to the analog components of a Metric Halo 2882 to get it more inline with the sound quality of the ULN-2 (or better)? It might be a nice stop-gap option until MH decides to release a ULN-4 (what I really want), if they ever do.
Thanks!
23rd October 2010
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

many people have asked for this, so it must not be feasible, or someone would have done it by now.
Couple of suggestions: the 2d card upgrade, which can be done "at home", really improves the conversion (as well as the functionality); also a "fethead" or "cloudlifter" can boost the pre-amps to useable levels.
24th October 2010
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I dunno, as long as you're not using low output mics on quiet sources, the 2882 pres do a pretty good job - no complaints here.
24th October 2010
Old 24th October 2010
Gear maniac

A LIO8 with 4 mic Pre amps is essentially a uln4 with 4 extra line inputs.

Steve
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear nut

I'd rather not pay for the conversion I don't need, and I really don't want to deal with DB25 connections in my home studio. The one patchbay I've seen for the ULN-8 / LIO isn't very attractive, if there was something more compact (and attractive) with connections on the front and back, I would consider it more. I think I'll just wait for MH to release a derivative product with less I/O but with the ULN-8 technology, seems like it's bound to happen.
8ok
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
8ok
Gear Head

add a pre-preamp?

You could add a cloudlifter or another type of pre-preamp used for low level ribbons or dynamics (sm7). They vary in price from $250+ to $800 and I have read they add around 20db of gain. This would help you avoid the noise at max gain on the 2882 that is brought up here regarding its preamps.

The converters are the same on the uln2/2882 as noted here:

Metric Halo FireWire Interface Comparison Chart

I'm in the same boat as you - Trying to decide between a ULN2 and 2882. Essentially it's I/O vs nice preamps..... I'm starting to feel like I can buy more preamps.... I've seen to many 500 series pres around the $600 mark lately to resist for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction909 View Post
Does anyone know if anyone performs or could explore performing an upgrade to the analog components of a Metric Halo 2882 to get it more inline with the sound quality of the ULN-2 (or better)? It might be a nice stop-gap option until MH decides to release a ULN-4 (what I really want), if they ever do.
Thanks!
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ok View Post
You could add a cloudlifter or another type of pre-preamp used for low level ribbons or dynamics (sm7). They vary in price from $250+ to $800 and I have read they add around 20db of gain. This would help you avoid the noise at max gain on the 2882 that is brought up here regarding its preamps.

The converters are the same on the uln2/2882 as noted here:

Metric Halo FireWire Interface Comparison Chart

I'm in the same boat as you - Trying to decide between a ULN2 and 2882. Essentially it's I/O vs nice preamps..... I'm starting to feel like I can buy more preamps.... I've seen to many 500 series pres around the $600 mark lately to resist for long
Yeah, eventually you're going to want different pre's anyway, for their own sake, not because the one's on the MH are bad, but because this is GS! You'll also find a need and a use at some point for all that A/D/A input and output. Actually the best solution is to buy both ULN2 and 2882, which I eventually did, but for starters, depending on your working style, the 2882 is a lot of bang for the buck. My 2c.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Gear addict

yeah.. i can't get enough gain out of my 2882 for anything but rock. unfortunately most of what i record is acoustic instruments, and with the price of those inline pre amps times 6 or 8 channels, and that turns into a lot of money. for the amount of money i spent, i really don't want to have to spend that much more.
i love MH the company, their service is the best, and the high end stuff seems incredible, but i, too, wish it had more gain.
what about the triton "fet head" or the rode power plug thing? anyone have any ears on experience with these?
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Again, if you're using low-output mics (like ribbons, dynamics) you'd be better off changing to higher-output mics when tracking quieter sources with the 2882 pres. For ribbons, I'd definitely invest in some outboard...
8ok
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
8ok
Gear Head

As an update to this post I hear that Radial is getting into the 500 series now with a bunch of modules including a mic pre and compressor (formerly the BMD Komit).

The good news? They are both UNDER $500 - even if the pre is a wire with gain it will cheaply start you down the lunchbox road (with a used api LB to house it ($300+). It looks like it will have some tone though (based on the promotional blahblah's

I just picked up a juggernaut and a api 500 LB - I'm already greedily eyeing every deal I see ha!
19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

How you liking that Juggernaut? Been thinking about adding one to the lunchbox after I build a few more Classic API kits...
8ok
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
8ok
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
How you liking that Juggernaut? Been thinking about adding one to the lunchbox after I build a few more Classic API kits...
Dude those capi diy pre's sound great (this is all from posted clips so take it with a grain of salt). One of the clip of vocals and guitar took me right back - it's like I was listening to early Eno vocal tracks. The sound was right there.

and so damn cheap!

I'll let you know how the jug fairs - My LB just arrived so it will be awhile
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search