KAM instruments microphones
Squish
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear addict

KAM instruments microphones

Microphones

Has anyone used any of these? If so, what are your thoughts?
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
Microphones

Has anyone used any of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Have not used them, but the sound clips I've heard of the ribbon on vocals.....it was gorgeous.
Squish
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear addict

Yeah, I'm intrigued by the Ribbon and the Condenser looks to be a nice package too.
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

That MC3 looks amazing with an msrp of $232. If it doesnt suck
Squish
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
That MC3 looks amazing with an msrp of $232. If it doesnt suck
The sound clips of it sounded nice. I listened to the voice and guitar. The extra capsules included make the price all the better. I just wish I knew more about the company and their service/support experience.
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah. Where they get them made or the parts from (China?) and if so,
what the equivalents are on the market (by MXL, Cascade, & others).
KAM
23rd October 2010
Old 23rd October 2010
KAM
Gear interested

Hi all,
Thank you “Squish” for inviting me to join this forum and start a conversation. Here are some answers to what I see above:

Service: Standard 90 day full warranty. Due to multiple inspection stages failures are very low. So if it is a bad part, we would replace it after warranty for postage cost as well. Most of our buyers end up purchasing multiple mics so our focus is to develop a long term relationship and reputation, not to make money from service.

We source the electronic parts based on combination of price and quality. So they mostly come from China, Korea, & Malaysia. Our larger condenser capsules are made by an established partner that’s been making them for major brands for about 40 years. Most of assembly is in China and there is some final assembly in USA for more expensive models.

Some of our mics tend to look like those from other companies because of off-the -shelf exterior parts. We are new and wanted to get started fast. We will be getting away from that on later models.

In general one can regard equivalency of mics based on specs. In my opinion coloration differences are tools for the “art” part of audio engineering as opposed to the “science” of it.
25th October 2010
Old 25th October 2010
Gear nut

I had 2 of the MC3's but a customer at the studio begged me for 3 days to buy 1 from me..I finally gave in. Anyhow we have been very impressed with the MC3, so much in fact we plan on hosting and posting a mic shootout with the Kam MC3 using the vocal capsule, Neumann TLM 102, AKG 414, and a Gauge ECM-87. You can suggest other mics and if I have it, I will throw it in too.

So far we have tried it on vocals, violin, accordion, acoustic guitar, and of all things upright bass.

Last week one of our local producers brought down a Neumann TLM 102 he had just picked up, so I decided to throw it up with the KAM MC3 to track vocals..it was after that I decided the MC3 deserved a shootout..

I just could not believe how well it worked for us and that it came with 3 capsules for this price.
Squish
25th October 2010
Old 25th October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccisano1 View Post
I had 2 of the MC3's but a customer at the studio begged me for 3 days to buy 1 from me..I finally gave in. Anyhow we have been very impressed with the MC3, so much in fact we plan on hosting and posting a mic shootout with the Kam MC3 using the vocal capsule, Neumann TLM 102, AKG 414, and a Gauge ECM-87. You can suggest other mics and if I have it, I will throw it in too.

So far we have tried it on vocals, violin, accordion, acoustic guitar, and of all things upright bass.

Last week one of our local producers brought down a Neumann TLM 102 he had just picked up, so I decided to throw it up with the KAM MC3 to track vocals..it was after that I decided the MC3 deserved a shootout..

I just could not believe how well it worked for us and that it came with 3 capsules for this price.
I've been debating between an MC3 and a used KSM44. Do you have any thoughts?
25th October 2010
Old 25th October 2010
Gear nut

I haven't heard the KSM44, but I can tell you if you've heard like the TLM 102 and like it then buy the KAM MC3 they sound close enough that you could interchange them on the same track and nobody would know. Plus you get two other capsules. On top of that it required a LOT less gain than the TLM 102.
Squish
25th October 2010
Old 25th October 2010
Gear addict

Wow! Cool, thanks!
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear interested

There are subtle differences between the tlm 102 and the mc3. I really enjoy the neumann, but IMHO the mc3 is a must have for my locker as well. That's right I'm that local producer.. I really look forward to shooting out those mics. I'm curious as to who will like what and why. I was simply impressed with the Kam even before I bought the neumann. Truthfully I can't say enough good things about either mic. But then again, I like steak & lobster..
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Can we learn some more about the MC3 circuit? Is it transformerless, etc.?
Paging Mike Joly, Marek, JJ Audio, Jim Williams, or anyone else who'd like to
maybe looking into these. Possible future mod opportunities at hand people.
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't heard the KSM44, but I can tell you if you've heard like the TLM 102 and like it then buy the KAM MC3 they sound close enough that you could interchange them on the same track and nobody would know. Plus you get two other capsules. On top of that it required a LOT less gain than the TLM 102.
Count me in as a sceptic. The tlm 102 does not require any significant amount of gan to begin with. 24-36 db for a typical guitar/vocal set up. So how could the mc3 require 'a LOT' less gain? What, like 12 db less? And still match the low self noise of the Neumann?

Hmmmm.......
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artfull audio View Post
There are subtle differences between the tlm 102 and the mc3. I really enjoy the neumann, but IMHO the mc3 is a must have for my locker as well. That's right I'm that local producer.. I really look forward to shooting out those mics. I'm curious as to who will like what and why. I was simply impressed with the Kam even before I bought the neumann. Truthfully I can't say enough good things about either mic. But then again, I like steak & lobster..
Let me get this straight, just to recap: This is your FIRST post. This is regarding a NEW mic manufacturer. And you've chimed in to say how subtle the differences are between the KAM and the Neumann. OK, no red flags there.

So you have both the Neumann 102 and the KAM mc3? And you're looking forward to someone else's shootout, or are YOU doing the shootout?

Interesting how both posters with KAM experience target the tlm 102. Like there's no other mic in the world to compare it to.

I can buy almost any microphone and return it if I don't like it. What is KAM's return policy?
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear nut

I will get you some more exacting figures on the gain difference between the mics when we do the shootout. Hoping to do it this week on thurs. or fri. possibly. I can tell you for sure the TLM 102 required more gain probably 8 to 10db to match the level of the MC3.

And for what it's worth I'm not affiliated with KAM instruments in any way other than being a customer.
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyhow we have been very impressed with the MC3, so much in fact we plan on hosting and posting a mic shootout with the Kam MC3 using the vocal capsule, Neumann TLM 102, AKG 414, and a Gauge ECM-87. You can suggest other mics and if I have it, I will throw it in too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfull audio View Post
...the mic that is currently setting the new standard for affordable LDCs is the newly revised MXL 2003A...we recently shot it out against other popular choices in the "low-end" category, as well as some modded LDCs for some perspective...if you really want to compare the MC3 to a mic that many have been most impressed with, try throwing the 2003A on your shootout list...you can check out our shootout here:
Mxl 2003a
or, you can hear a slightly modded 2003a compared with a vintage Neumann U87 here:
Award-winning microphone engineering from Michael Joly

...I don't mean to throw a wrench in your gears here, but to really give your MC3 shootout some true "low-end" reference credibility, why not add a current favorite to the menu...let's hear what the MC3 has to offer for $200 against the $150 2003A...while the TLM102 is an improvement over Neumann's TLM103, it's still another overpriced "N-mann" product considering what can be had for less than half the price these days...
...the ECM-87 is just a re-branded $50 Nady SCM900, so it bears little relevance IMHO...

...steak and lobster are fine, but sometimes a great burger is the best-bang-for-the-buck when you're hungry (or ready to buy your next mic)...
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Alrighty then- looking forward to how they compare.

One request- acoustic guitar and vocals with a single well placed mic. I just think that is a really good way to hear a mic in context (but I am biased!).

And throwing in a the low end reining king (2003a) is a great idea.

Cheers....
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Let me get this straight, just to recap: This is your FIRST post. This is regarding a NEW mic manufacturer. And you've chimed in to say how subtle the differences are between the KAM and the Neumann. OK, no red flags there.

So you have both the Neumann 102 and the KAM mc3? And you're looking forward to someone else's shootout, or are YOU doing the shootout?

Interesting how both posters with KAM experience target the tlm 102. Like there's no other mic in the world to compare it to.

I can buy almost any microphone and return it if I don't like it. What is KAM's return policy?
In regards to the above Art of Artfull Audio was excited when HE got his TLM 102 and stopped by MY studio with it. (He as well as a few other producers track a lot of drums at my place). Anyhow I had a band in that night and I suggested to Art that we throw the Neumann up with the MC3 since thats the mic I had been using in prior sessions with this singer.

So I'm not targeting the 102 in particular that just happened to be how it went down that night..

I was really surprised at the results...which is prompting the shootout at MY studio and anyone else is welcome to attend or suggest other mics.

You can check out my current gear list at

Big Time Studio
26th October 2010
Old 26th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Alrighty then- looking forward to how they compare.

One request- acoustic guitar and vocals with a single well placed mic. I just think that is a really good way to hear a mic in context (but I am biased!).

And throwing in a the low end reining king (2003a) is a great idea.

Cheers....
I dont have the 2003a but I'm not opposed to purchasing one tonight and waiting for it to arrive for the shootout...is BH Photo the best place/price to order it???
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Wow...really going out of your way to shoot out that KAM. Maybe Mr. Kam can spring for the mxl.

Hey, I got an idea. Why not just post a clip of the KAM? If we can't figure out whether it sounds good or not (without a 'shootout'), then we should look for other 'hobbies.'

Maybe even just use the clips where it beat out the 102. You already have those clips recorded...right?
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
Can we learn some more about the MC3 circuit? Is it transformerless, etc.?
Paging Mike Joly, Marek, JJ Audio, Jim Williams, or anyone else who'd like to
maybe looking into these. Possible future mod opportunities at hand people.
This KAM C3 circuit looks like the V67g, Hamburg, Vienna, MXL 2001 ETC. They are all transformer coupled. There are 2 film capacitors (gray) that may add filtering. The frequency graph looks relatively flat.

This circuit is a Fet to PNP to transformer. The front end is very similar to the U87 circuit. It uses the Neumann feedback scheme

This mic would be a good candidate for the Pit bull U87 mod. I use the Pit bull mod on the ADK Hamburg and Vienna. This mod uses a dual membrane capsule that can get Cardiod and Omni patterns via the 10db pad.

The stock capsule I would use is the ADK TT and the upgrade would be a re-skinned Neumann K67.

Also Jensen transformers

Squish
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Wow...really going out of your way to shoot out that KAM. Maybe Mr. Kam can spring for the mxl.

Hey, I got an idea. Why not just post a clip of the KAM? If we can't figure out whether it sounds good or not (without a 'shootout'), then we should look for other 'hobbies.'

Maybe even just use the clips where it beat out the 102. You already have those clips recorded...right?
There are clips on the website.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear interested

Just to be clear, I am in no way affilliated with any mic manufaturer anymore. (At one time I worked for an artist with a shure endorsement). I really appreciate the opportunity to listen to everything out there, as my 20 years of professional experience has lead me to an open mind when it comes to these things. I was very careful not to express any preference for either mic, ie. "subtle differences". so there's no implication that the mc3 was better, or MY neumann was better. It's really all about application, placement, source material, and all the stuff we do to create great recordings. I personally like the way both mics sound and I imagine quite a few uses for it right off the top of my head for each of them. And I thought it appropriate to share my opinion. It's really about application. But hey what do I know, I spen more time working and mixing than I do argueing on gear forums. Have a nice day.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Gear nut

Quote:

Nobody said the MC3 beat out the 102..I did write that you could interchange them on the same tracks and nobody would know...and of course I have the clips from that session..

ALSO:
Clips are from October 8th 2010..Mic 1 is ..aw I forget..and mic 2 is...I forget that one too... no eq, no fx, no editing of any kind, just a punch in on a chorus in the song ..not a keeper as you'll see on the end....recorded at 24b/48k
Attached Files
File Type: wav 1.03_05.wav (3.38 MB, 484 views) File Type: wav 2.03_05.wav (3.38 MB, 347 views)

Last edited by Roccisano1; 27th October 2010 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: Adding info
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
This KAM C3 circuit looks like the (snip) transformer coupled.
I'll find myself preferring transformerless often, though transformers have a place (and are in a
few mics I'll use). What interests me is the MC3 circuit. It is a narrow mic body (typically used
for SDCs) which allows the user that switch from two kinds of SDC capsules to a lollipop vocal
capsule. That's a possible transformerless circuit. And the capsule may be superior to their C3
in its acoustic environment vs the C3. The manufacturer states the MC3 is more present than
the C3 (possibly for being transformerless & having a superior headbasket for the capsule)? It
is very interesting. I too noticed the site doesn't talk about its return policy for their product.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

...the MC3 looks like just another OEM product from the Ningbo Alctron stable of (cheap) generic chinese microphones...is there any reason to suspect the circuit to be any different than all the other Alctron SDC mics marketed under the Nady, Apex, etc. brands? (save for the extra switches)...

...the bigger issue IMHO, is the LDC capsule quality...Alctron rates rather low on the capsule QC scale, with other manufacturers like 797Audio and Shengke/iSK setting the bar for chinese LDC capsule QC standards...

ALCTRON ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD

TK130 System

...I think not...
Attached Thumbnails
KAM instruments microphones-200911191127363433.jpg   KAM instruments microphones-mc3-s.jpg  
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

For what its worth mic 1 has more happening in the low mid. Love to hear an acoustic and vocal track done with the KAM.
27th October 2010
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
KAM instruments microphones-200911161150166268.jpg   KAM instruments microphones-c3-new-s.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search