Best way to record electric guitar direct?
Neilo75
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Gear interested

Hi just wondering people's opinions on the best way to record electric guitar direct? I'm after an uncoloured, clean guitar sound which I'll then run through Guitar Rig 4. My guitars are Gibson SG and a Fender Strat, and I don't have any active pickups.

I've done some test recordings using my guitar straight into my soundcard (didn't sound too good), my TS808 pedal (OK-ish but noticable colouring which I don't really like, although not too bad when peddle is switched off), and an Art StudioV3 on a few different settings (OK but the various presets are quite different so I don't know which setting would colour the sound the least?).

Any help/advice appreciated!
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

This is a broad subject. I suggest you read up on DIs. Many preamps have built-in instrument inputs or a dedicated DI.

Many discussions on DIs around here. Do a search.

Best of luck. thumbsup
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

When I track guitars, I di into my ssl alpha vhd and split the signal to the converter/compressor for dry and then to my pod for a wet scratch. With this i am looking more for performance over tone. After I have the di track, I reamp. Normal mic techniques from here or substitute with modeling/sims.
Neilo75
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear interested

Actually I read somewhere that you should use a paramteric eq as an insert effect before the amp simulator. I tried it and it does sound a hell of a lot better!

Because of my small budget I guess I'll have to stick to the Studio V3 as my DI. I'm tempted to get a Radial JDI but not sure how much of a difference that will make? The JDV a bit too pricey just for a DI for me.

The SSL Alpha VHD looks pretty good though! Again just a bit too expensive for me...

Last edited by Neilo75; 20th October 2010 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: icon didn't work
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I sometimes use an older Johnson J Station simular to a POD to do dirty simple demos of what i like to record...POD makes some new and so called improved units...direct into your interface...
Neilo75
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear interested

The thing is my band is going in to the studio in a couple of weeks and I thought I could save time/money by tracking the guitars and bass beforehand. Last recording we did the guitars were recorded live (Fender Twin and Peavey Classic 30) and I thought it sounded alright but not incredible, and I could probably get just a good result by tracking them at home. (check out facebook page, music player bottom left of page)

The My Ty's | Facebook

So I'm not after a quick demo sound but something appropriate for a proper release!
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilo75 View Post
So I'm not after a quick demo sound but something appropriate for a proper release!
Hope the DI works for you...i'd personaly Mic a real amp with some air coming from the tube amp with a decent mic and preamp....but i understand sometime this cant be done due to peace in the house, neighbors and appartments even lack of decent equipment for some...come to virginia and ill track you using my peavey tube amp with an Eminence Governor cranked at 5-10 watts (yes that will do it) miked about 8-12" from center of speaker a little off axis....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and bass DIed
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

I have heard good results with a re tubed ART MPA GOLD and a les paul, really fat, sparkly and clean
Neilo75
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
I have heard good results with a re tubed ART MPA GOLD and a les paul, really fat, sparkly and clean

Hmm.... actually a friend has one of these. Any idea what tubes they replaced the originals with?
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

An API 512c of course
20th October 2010
Old 20th October 2010
Lives for gear

GT Brick. It's cheap and clean and sounds good enough to use on it's own. It will noticeably improve your amp sim.
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilo75 View Post
Hmm.... actually a friend has one of these. Any idea what tubes they replaced the originals with?

Telefunken 12ax7's NOS
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Guitar into Hi-Z input of sound card

That's a great way to record guitar direct
Cj
21st October 2010
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Guitar into Hi-Z input of sound card

That's a great way to record guitar direct
Cj
Thats how I do it. Just go direct into my Motu mk3 ultralite.

For going into a guitar sim I like to record pretty hot, amp sims seem to react and sound better that way. Then output that to a standard tracking level.

Your ts808 could work really well if your going for an overdrivin or heavy tone. A lot of people out there usually use a tubescreamer pedal as an insert, like Mokafixs cream tube, and Onqel just released his ts808 pedal which sounds amazing, and its free.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search