Signal path; is less more?
skinslapper
3rd October 2010
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Signal path; is less more?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and am an avid fan of low end recording.

I'm using 2 Cport interfaces for 16 analogue inputs to my pc. These are routed from both an old fender sunn mixer and small alto mixer. I like the sunn because it has patch outputs on all channels so I can use the eqs without extra lag to my pc.

My pc is a core 2 duo with 2 g ram, 2 harddrives, and cubase 5 working on windows xp. All is operating fine at 24/96 over 16 channels.

I was recently recording my drums and have found I'm lacking clarity over many channels. I've been considering buying a multichannel preamp (pr8e) to inject some life into my mics and increase flexibility with phantom powers, gains, phasing etc.

I had initially considered routing the preamp into the sunn but then questioned if I shouldn't just run it straight into the interface and eq with cubase. I had tried this with my old software cubase vst32, but it quickly became overloaded.

To wrap up, when using low end equipment is it better to bypass as many elements as possible, should my pc be able handle eqing across 16 input channels, and should that improve my sound to a goal of hardrock sound ie; clean and punchy?
3rd October 2010
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Record straight from the preamps to the interface. EQ when you're mixing. If you feel you need to EQ something while you're recording, move your mics around or change mics instead.
3rd October 2010
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

When using any gear, I prefer to get as close to natural as possible. Usually, someone has created a sound and I see it as my job to capture that sound as accurately as possible.

Now, we all like to have a little mojo, we all like to make things sound bigger than life and that is fine.... but when we make them sound smaller than life, that is a drag. Fewer piece/parts in the signal path gets you closer to real life. I don't even go through a console for monitoring... I have a stepped attenuator that adds as close to nothing to the sound as I could afford.
skinslapper
3rd October 2010
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys. I'll have to grab that pr8e, but thankfully my alto has 8 preamps that I can route from to get my 16 required for drums. We'll see how that sounds.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search