Old 10th September 2010
Gear interested

GAP Tube Pre

Hi Group,

I want to share some info I received from Golden Age Project that might be of interest. I'm posting their response to my question about a Tube Preamp

My question:

Greetings, I'm a believer in your Pre-73; fantastic! My question is this; have you considered making a tube preamp with the same attention to detail you've put into the Pre-73? Warm regards, Reggie

Their response:

Reggie,
Many thanks for your kind words! The PRE73 is dream coming true for me – to be able to offer vintage style units at low prices.
We will release new products as soon as we can. The next one will be the COMP-54, a Neve style compressor.

Thanks for suggesting a GAP tube pre. Yes of course, this is planned too but I cannot say when it will happen.

All the best,
Bo

I hope this is useful info. Cheers!
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting....I'd really like to hear the new comp.
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginator View Post
Reggie,
Many thanks for your kind words! The PRE73 is dream coming true for me – to be able to offer vintage style units at low prices.
We will release new products as soon as we can. The next one will be the COMP-54, a Neve style compressor.

Thanks for suggesting a GAP tube pre. Yes of course, this is planned too but I cannot say when it will happen.

All the best,
Bo

I hope this is useful info. Cheers!
...all due respect to Bo at GAP, with his dedication to refining their products, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on any new products...I posted the original threads concerning the upcoming COMP-54, and the projected date of release has been pushed back so many times it's mind-numbing...of course, the upside of this will probably be a much better end-product, but there's a point where anticipation slowly turns to disintrest...only time will tell if the product is truly worth the wait...

...GAP pricepoints are rising too...and what was once a real bargain (a PRE-73 for $299) may also turn into a good value among other good values...case in point, the COMP-54 sounds like the price will be pretty close to the FMR PBC-6A, a highly regarded and immensly versatile compressor/limiter...
Old 10th September 2010
Klaatu.. barada.. nikto..

I really was hoping they would release an API styled preamp.
Old 11th September 2010
Gear interested

kidvybes, you make a good point. I've lost interest in many girls and many things due to waiting. I enjoy using my PRE73 so much that I was looking for lightning to strike again with a tube pre from GAP. I can say for sure that I'm honored that GAP took the time to answer my question. I'll hold out as long as I can since the only other tube pre I've considered is the Groove Tubes Supre.
Old 11th September 2010
Anybody have recommendations for a tube swap? Too soon?
Old 12th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
now that would be awesome.
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangeland View Post
Lol Nice.
I've got some empty tube boxes that would be perfect for this pre because the manufacturer's response doesn't sound very inspiring;
"Thanks for suggesting a GAP tube pre. Yes of course, this is planned too but I cannot say when it will happen."
That doesn't sound like they currently have any intention of making one. It's just a response to keep people interested in their products. I hope they do make one, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubb View Post
now that would be awesome.
Agreed
Old 12th September 2010
Gear addict
Witch is the most classic tube pre to copy-cat then?
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
I posted the original threads concerning the upcoming COMP-54, and the projected date of release has been pushed back so many times it's mind-numbing...of course, the upside of this will probably be a much better end-product, but there's a point where anticipation slowly turns to disintrest...
kidvybes, you constantly seem to be the person with highest expectations and excitement about gap products, obviously you're going to be the most disappointed one if things don't pan out as initially thought. as you well know, many manufacturers are forced to postpone their release dates several times, this website is filled with examples of that, nothing really out of the ordinary or mind numbing about that, in my humble opinion - don't think your comment is very fair at all, it's that sort of thing that makes manufacturers stop mentioning stuff in the works at all.
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
if they're the first manufacturers to simply build something with decent trafos and total absence of negative feedback while still going for a healthy amount of gain, they'll already be doing a lot more than anyone after the 60s and taking a definitive step towards what ppl want when they think of a true vintage valve preamp.
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
those are already sort of affordable, especially when they don't have the API name tag on them, why would a manufacturer focus on that when the price point would probably be very close to the others cloners, instead of bringing to the market something that doesn't exist, like a true non negative feedback valve preamp or something like that, since we're on the subject of valve preamps?
Old 12th September 2010
Gear interested

Hi retractablezing, my question to GAP was fuelled by my desire to use a 100% real valve preamp on my next project. I’m using the PRE-73 on vocals with my current project but I want to try a valve preamp for vocals and ac guitar on my next project sometime next year (though I’ll still use the PRE-73).

GAP seems like an innovative company with quality at the heart at an affordable price. It would be a logical progression for them to make a valve preamp in my opinion. I’ve never reached out to a manufacturer before like this. I’m hoping they can move from R&D to prototype testing within a limited time frame.
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
kidvybes, you constantly seem to be the person with highest expectations and excitement about gap products, obviously you're going to be the most disappointed one if things don't pan out as initially thought. as you well know, many manufacturers are forced to postpone their release dates several times, this website is filled with examples of that, nothing really out of the ordinary or mind numbing about that, in my humble opinion
...no, you're taking my post way too seriously...but when a product is delayed repeatedly and the projected MSRP rises 30% or more during that period of delays, the perceived value is obviously diminished...

...I'm still interested in the COMP-54, but I am somewhat familiar with the original Neve versions and they're not known to be the "swiss-army knife" of compressors...on the other hand, the FMR PBC-6A is getting a rep for being remarkably versatile and the gap (no pun intended) between the pricepoints of the two is closing rapidly...that is the main point of my post...

Quote:
don't think your comment is very fair at all, it's that sort of thing that makes manufacturers stop mentioning stuff in the works at all.

...first, let me say, that I have been one of the most supportive fans of the PRE-73 since it's release (posting soundfiles and recommending the product)...I was the person who sourced a compatible 110V US power supply for the first shipments of the preamp here in the states...I have had contact with Bo at GAP throughout this process, and have assisted in building interest in this upcoming new product here on GS as well as other audio sites...if a manufacturer experiences unexpected delays in the manufacturing, and increased cost of a new product, and potential customers voice their disappointment, then certainly it's at the manufacturer's own discretion as to decide in the future if prematurely announcing the release of their next new product is handled differently...a learning experience in the least...sorry if you don't think it's "fair"...
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginator View Post
Hi retractablezing, my question to GAP was fuelled by my desire to use a 100% real valve preamp on my next project. I’m using the PRE-73 on vocals with my current project but I want to try a valve preamp for vocals and ac guitar on my next project sometime next year (though I’ll still use the PRE-73).

GAP seems like an innovative company with quality at the heart at an affordable price. It would be a logical progression for them to make a valve preamp in my opinion. I’ve never reached out to a manufacturer before like this. I’m hoping they can move from R&D to prototype testing within a limited time frame.
...you have to understand that when GAP released the PRE-73, there were (and still are) no comparative products in the marketplace at that pricepoint (a Neve 1073 based preamp for under $300)...the next closest product is more than twice the price, and quickly escalate from there...

...on the other hand, there are many tube based preamps starting at extremely low prices and running up progressively from there...and the sound of "transformer based" preamps (iron in/iron out) is quite a bit more distinct than the "sound" of a good tube-based preamp, which tend to be much less colored (some of the best are actually praised for their transparency)...so, while "toobs" seem promising, there's not as much of a niche market as there is for a cheap "Neve-style" preamp, IMHO...

...I would suggest you look for a good tube condenser mic to run through your PRE-73 if you crave "toob" tone...I use a number of good tube mics with my Neve style preamps and the combination is quite pleasing...
Old 12th September 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangeland View Post
:D:D:D

I know your joking btw.
Old 12th September 2010
Klaatu.. barada.. nikto..

Quote:
those are already sort of affordable, especially when they don't have the API name tag on them, why would a manufacturer focus on that when the price point would probably be very close to the others cloners, instead of bringing to the market something that doesn't exist, like a true non negative feedback valve preamp or something like that, since we're on the subject of valve preamps?
Fair enough, but Id have to assume they could make them for less... and without the need for a lunchbox.
Old 13th September 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
...I would suggest you look for a good tube condenser mic to run through your PRE-73 if you crave "toob" tone...I use a number of good tube mics with my Neve style preamps and the combination is quite pleasing...
I've actually thought about getting a tube mic but wasn't sure what application to use it for. I know what to do with a tube preamp and can even run recorded tracks or keyboards thru it when needed.

I'm sure you're right about using a tube mic. Besides, my mic locker is pretty scarce: SM7b, AT4041, AT3035 and EV RE-10. Other than microphones, a quality tube pre that is not a digital hybrid is what I’m looking for… at a fair price (I know I'm asking a lot). I think GAP can pull it off… I’m not sure when, but I hope in the near future.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear addict

Sure, they probably will pull off a good tube mic pre.....in the next 3-5 years...but, even then I wouldn't bank on it

Love the GAP pre73
pairs well with a good tube mic.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear maniac

GAP Tube Pre

All valid points made - however , with regards to the "rising price point" you describe:

I believe Bo is more the designer of these products and using outsourced companies to produce circuits /metal work etc.. The business model is small compared to major manufactures who can absorb R&D costings much easier and over a longer turnaround period. I bet net margins on Bo's units, once you add in any middleman / distibution networks are quite slim for the pre 73.

However, in the case of the compressor, where there have been additional changes to the design and production, I imagine that this would have cost implications that would affect the smaller manufacturer much more and therefore more likely to affect the bottom line price of the product.

In reality I see that this guy has gone out of his way to deliver low cost alternatives to people ' tired ' of being ripped off by the big fish in this industry and I for one applaud his efforts !

As a more than happy pre 73 owner I will be standing behind this company and it's ethic to produce quality products at reasonable prices and take the rough with the smooth.

Not sure if a tube pre would be the next thing on my wanted list but I shall def be looking to buy the compressor when released, as I have a 'warm' feeling that this product will raise lots of eyebrows, even with a slightly elevated pricetag on what where ' initial' estimations of price.

Also, I don't think anyone has a right to assume that the price price point is unfair in terms of comparing it to other units in a similar price range, until we have had chance to actually compare them ???

talk about jumping the gun tutt
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
Also, I don't think anyone has a right to assume that the price price point is unfair in terms of comparing it to other units in a similar price range, until we have had chance to actually compare them ???

talk about jumping the gun tutt
...if you're referring to any of my statements, nothing of the kind was ever said...I simply stated that as the pricepoint has risen, the COMP-54 will be find itself competing in the marketplace with already proven products that have garnered high acclaim (units such as the PBC-6A and the Overstayer)...

...I have no doubt that Bo's numerous "tweaks" that have delayed and contributed to higher cost will result in a better product...I too commend him on his goal to offer "esoteric" gear at low to mid level prices...I look forward to hearing the new compressor and any other GAP projects to come...as Bo already knows (I'm sure), the PRE-73 is a hard act to follow...
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
V72
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...no, you're taking my post way too seriously...
right, right.

Quote:
but when a product is delayed repeatedly and the projected MSRP rises 30% or more during that period of delays, the perceived value is obviously diminished...
if they're making it better, it shouldn't. if that's happening, it seems the only value being diminished is what you think a piece of gear that doesn't even really exists yet has or should have. again your expectations about gap and "getting a lot for almost nothing" (read: a bargain), are at play here.

Quote:

...first, let me say, that I have been one of the most supportive fans of the PRE-73 since it's release (posting soundfiles and recommending the product)...I was the person who sourced a compatible 110V US power supply for the first shipments of the preamp here in the states...
i know you have, i've read posts of yours on every GAP thread there is, on this and other forums. but if you are, then just wait like everyone else or get the rnla or whatever.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
then just wait like everyone else or get the rnla or whatever.
...been there, done that...

...in case you missed this one, here's the inspiration for my initial post in this thread:
PBC-6a now or wait for the Comp54

...waiting for this next thread to progress:
Golden Age COMP-54 vs FMR PCB 6A

...just to put things in proper perspective, if respected audio engineers were polled "historically speaking, what are your 'top 5' favorite mic pres and 'top 5' favorite compressor/limiters?", the Neve 1073 would no doubt place well up in the top among preamps, most likely...on the other hand, I'm not sure the Neve 2254/64 would place at all, considering the varied number of revered classic compressors...my point being, an inexpensive, competent Neve 1073 type preamp is a much more desireable addition to the home-recording martketplace, than a lesser-known companion compressor...IMHO, the "appeal" of this new addition to the GAP product line is it's appeal as a "companion piece" to the already successful PRE-73...and no one is more aware of that "appeal" than Bo, a very smart and successful audio marketing pro...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search