Login / Register

echo audiofire 8 vs. sapphire pro 24 audio quality?
New Reply
Subscribe
blacklion
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

echo audiofire 8 vs. sapphire pro 24 audio quality?

Hi There,

Debating on keeping my audiofire 8 (no adat, only sdif/rca) or swapping it for a new focusrite sapphire pro 24.

One reason is for future use with an isa one digital through the adat connection without having to deal with rca/spdif connectors, etc.

I love my echo's stability but the headphone routing and lack of master gain/monitor gain knob can be a little frustrating. Soundwise, it's pretty good and has a rounded sound, though I wish there was a little more clarity at times.

(1) Anyone try a sapphire pro 24 and an audiofire 8 (old version with no adat) and can say which converters sound better?

(2) Any reliability issues with the new units Mac or PC? (I use both)

Finally: Won't be using the pre's since I have outboard stuff, though I would assume the FR pres are better and might give me a suitable option to work with so pre quality not that important. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to try out new gear...only going to if it will help me mix better.

Thanks!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear interested

You can use something like the TC level Pilot to control your monitor level.
7th September 2010
Old 7th September 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Hi There,

Debating on keeping my audiofire 8 (no adat, only sdif/rca) or swapping it for a new focusrite sapphire pro 24.

One reason is for future use with an isa one digital through the adat connection without having to deal with rca/spdif connectors, etc.

I love my echo's stability but the headphone routing and lack of master gain/monitor gain knob can be a little frustrating. Soundwise, it's pretty good and has a rounded sound, though I wish there was a little more clarity at times.

(1) Anyone try a sapphire pro 24 and an audiofire 8 (old version with no adat) and can say which converters sound better?

(2) Any reliability issues with the new units Mac or PC? (I use both)

Finally: Won't be using the pre's since I have outboard stuff, though I would assume the FR pres are better and might give me a suitable option to work with so pre quality not that important. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble to try out new gear...only going to if it will help me mix better.

Thanks!
Both use the same Cirrus Logic ADA converters...exact same...the Pro 24 is a newer designed/beast in that you have much more control of your outputs and signals...and can route them to inputs, record loopbacks (like record from internet radio etc)...when the echo audiofire went with adat, they changed the ada converters to AKM's
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
I would characterize my Audiofire8 as leaning subtly towards bright and airy in character (I'm speaking in incredibly subtle terms here). I do believe there was a revision of the unit at some point... mine is the later one with the ADAT connectors. Certainly no cloudiness or lack of clarity to the sound, it just records what goes in accurately.

I'm only talking about the conversion BTW. I use outboard preamps for the most part, but I do use the onboard preamps if I need the channels. The Audiofire8 preamps are rather bright, even slightly brittle on some sources. They are OK for what they are.
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get a monitor controller like an mpatch2 or tc electronic level pilot and that will solve both of these problems. Set the monitor outs in the dsp mixer to 0db full gain and then just use the controller for levels. You'll get the best sound quality out of it that way. Lowering the fader in the mixer will decrease clarity the further down it goes.

Taken straight from the manual..

6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

holy thread bump batman.. I just noticed.. Oh well maybe someone else will see it that didn't already know.
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Gear maniac

Does the Apogee duet still share the same converters as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie777 View Post
Both use the same Cirrus Logic ADA converters...exact same...the Pro 24 is a newer designed/beast in that you have much more control of your outputs and signals...and can route them to inputs, record loopbacks (like record from internet radio etc)...when the echo audiofire went with adat, they changed the ada converters to AKM's
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Head

I have never been super impressed with the echo. I got a Saffire Pro 40 last year and I've been absolutely loving it. The flexible routing make it perfect for what I do (half recording half theatre) and it sounds great.
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

I've got an audiofire 4 and a Saffire 40, and I assume they share the same circuitry as the audiofire 8 and Saffire 24. In my opinion, both are fantastic, with the audiofire being slightly brighter and more detailed. The saffire offers a slightly darker sound, but much more indepth supporting software and general utility (Better meters, nicer pots etc).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search