Lunch Box For Vocals
New Reply
Subscribe
Therealflamingo
5th September 2010
Old 5th September 2010
Gear interested

Lunch Box For Vocals

Hey guy's right now i realy don't have any pre's. I'm just getting my first little set-up. I was looking at the SSL ALPHA VHD pre. I'm looking for something that will sound decent on everything. I have enough money to buy the SSL pre's or a lunchbox with maybe a 512 in it. Obviously I will be getting more money to continue adding to my selection but right now I only have around $2000 to $2500. The only other pre's I have are 16 from the C24. I'm a big fan of only buying quality gear so if it just means that I can get one nice pre i'm ok with it. What do you guy's think, should I buy the SSL set of four pres or buy the Lunchbox with one nice pre and maybe n EQ by API.

Thanks,
Flamingo
5th September 2010
Old 5th September 2010
www.circlestudios.co.uk

Personally, I wouldnt bother with the ssl pre. The lunchbox route is v flexible. One of them plus an Avedis MA5 or Great River would be a great little vocal chain. You can later add a Deresser and comps/EQs to taste.

Machiavelli's Guide To the Music Industry: http://www.supajam.com/blog/l/Machia...Music-Industry
Therealflamingo
5th September 2010
Old 5th September 2010
Gear interested

What about building up an XRack but I have heard that API products really sound better.
Therealflamingo
5th September 2010
Old 5th September 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
Personally, I wouldnt bother with the ssl pre. The lunchbox route is v flexible. One of them plus an Avedis MA5 or Great River would be a great little vocal chain. You can later add a Deresser and comps/EQs to taste.
Ok thanks for the input man. Your studio is looking nice too haha I really like the flexibility of the lunchbox too.

Thanks,
Flamingo
Therealflamingo
5th September 2010
Old 5th September 2010
Gear interested

Has anyone used the VHD's and the 512c?? I really don't know which ones to go with haha I have mixed on the AWS 900 and the API 1608 and I liked them both. I'm looking for a punchy sound mainly on drums and really full guitar sound.

Thanks,
Flamingo
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

The nice thing about getting a lunchbox is the different choices it will afford you. After getting a all-around preamp for vocals, you could add a Neve-ish, a P-1 or EM Blue, an api-ish, or something dark to calm down bright mics. Check out the Eisen Audio site. He can custom build you whatever you want. He recently tweaked a Lundahl preamp for me, beefing up the low end and making the high end darker - which can be really helpful on a bright singer.

Just like having only one mic could be a limiting factor, likewise having only one flavor of preamp could hamper your creativity when trying to match the gear to the source.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Gear maniac

here yo go my friend......Applied Research & Technology: Tube Mic Preamps

the 512s are way nice.....but unless you are tracking stone sour....you will not need them, do you really think preamps color your sound?....then pass a cd player thru each pre and tell me what changes about the sound.....you already know the answer.

YOUR AUDIO WILL ONLY SOUND AS GOOD AS YOUR SOURCE!!!!! NO PREAMP WILL EVER CHANGE THAT!
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
here yo go my friend......Applied Research & Technology: Tube Mic Preamps

the 512s are way nice.....but unless you are tracking stone sour....you will not need them, do you really think preamps color your sound?....then pass a cd player thru each pre and tell me what changes about the sound.....you already know the answer.

YOUR AUDIO WILL ONLY SOUND AS GOOD AS YOUR SOURCE!!!!! NO PREAMP WILL EVER CHANGE THAT!
Counterpoint: Yes, you will absolutely hear the difference in sound by running a full mix back through different preamps.

The mixability and quality of audio can certainly be improved by great preamps.. lets be honest. That's part of the reason that so many people hang out on this site.. to figure out what improvements can be made by differences in gear. Will it improve the 'performance'?? of course not... will it make the low-end less 'flabby', the mid-range sit in the proper place in the mix, the highs less grainy or strident in the wrong places?? Absolutely.
6th September 2010
Old 6th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
...NO PREAMP WILL EVER CHANGE THAT!
Chris Lago recently posted sound clips of his B-whatever mic going through two preamps - a Neve-ish MA5 (?) and a Blue Robbie tube pre. The S sounds were totally different.

Try running a sm7b through any 500 series "color" preamp with transformers. Then run it through a AEA TRP. It's a night and day difference in sound.

I do agree that mic choice is going to have the most affect on changing the sound of the source, but competent engineers do not ignore the preamp's role in the process.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search