Depends on the nature of the tune. Most basic 4-mic set-up:
1) Avant CK-1s on overheads as spaced pair, equidistant from snare (omni or cardioid capsules, depending on the tune.
2) Shure Beta 57 on snare (waaay better than SM57
, IMO, worth the extra few bucks.
3) Avant AMK on kick (huge kick sound, very sensitive to positioning). 8-mic setup
1) Avant CK-1s in X/Y config (90-120 degrees, depending on width of setup).
2) Avant AMK on kick.
3) Shure Beta 57 on snare.
4) Sennheiser e604s on toms.
5) MXL 3000(!) on HH (cheap & bright Chinese condensers work remarkably well for this).
6) If I have the extra channel (only two toms, i.e.), put a second mic on snare bottom for crispness (usually an SM57
cuz that's all I've got for that app with my own locker).