TheStixter
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear nut

HOW Would I

2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear nut

assuming you want to use the interface to get audio onto your computer and use the ssl channel strip as your main pre, you would simply go from your mic to the ssl and out the ssl to one of the mic/line inputs on the interface and set that channel to line in and you're laughin.
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

I would use the line inputs of the EMU and not the mic pre of thee so you keep the pristine sound form the SSL.
The SSL is a nice high end piece of gear and the EMU is sorta low end. So using the line inputs of the EMU would be your best bet.
If you could do it digitally, that would be the very best way, but I'm not sure if both have digital capacity
Cj
TheStixter
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear nut

Awesome. Yea, I definitely want to keep the sound from the SSL...I'm simply using the EMU 0404 to get the audio tracks onto my computer thru USB. Could someone point me in the right direction or tell me what kind of cables I need to purchase to connect these two via the line input on the EMU0404?
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Assuming you get the digital option on the SSL spdif would be the way to go.
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Assuming you get the digital option on the SSL spdif would be the way to go.
The digital connectivity isn't an 'option' - it's standard - and it's very good.

I would go Alpha Channel SPDIF out -> 0404 SPDIF in. One thing though, if you run at any clock speed other than 44.1khz you will need to run a line from the 0404's SPDIF out to the Alpha Channel's SPDIF input so it knows what speed to run at.
TheStixter
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
If you could do it digitally, that would be the very best way, but I'm not sure if both have digital capacity
Cj
Does the EMU 0404 have digital capacity? And could someone link me to the type of cable I need to run between the two..I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for all the help slutz!
TheStixter
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear nut

Let me ask you guys this...Since I want to track thru the SSL Alpha thru the analogue out..how would I hear the instrumentals/beat that I'm recording too if it's setup to play through the EMU0404? In other words, if my headphones are hooked up to the SSL, I can hear my vocals, but not the instrumental off the EMU0404...how can I change that but still get my vocals and keep the sound of the SSL and take it to the EMU0404, then of course to my computer...
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStixter View Post
Let me ask you guys this...Since I want to track thru the SSL Alpha thru the analogue out..how would I hear the instrumentals/beat that I'm recording too if it's setup to play through the EMU0404? In other words, if my headphones are hooked up to the SSL, I can hear my vocals, but not the instrumental off the EMU0404...how can I change that but still get my vocals and keep the sound of the SSL and take it to the EMU0404, then of course to my computer...
There is no monitoring facility on the SSL, for headphones or otherwise.

You would monitor the interface.

We're getting into RTFM territory here fast...!
TheStixter
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear nut

Okay...so I have a digital s/pdif in and out on my EMU0404, but only a coaxial s/pdif inputs on my SSL...is there a CABLE that would work with this or is "digital" out of the question and should I just buy a 1/4 line?
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Your EMU has spdif coaxial in and outs, and so does your SSL. Connect cables and go, I agree with previous poster, RTFM territory approaching.
TheStixter
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear nut

I have connected the coaxial cables...I'm not getting any audio going through the EMU0404...and the damn manual doesn't have anything but what the names of the different inputs and the name's of the buttons...doesn't tell you how to connect and setup things...that's why I'm asking here folks..

I need to either figure out why the coaxial cables aren't picking up, or if there's a certain button or switch the needs to be pressed on either two of my units...then someone mentioned digital...then someone else mentioned connecting them through the line in and out...

I just want to get this thing to work...ya'll should know how hard it is having a new piece of gear (for 5 days now) but not being able to use it cause you don't either have the right cable or setup. So help a n00b out. Pleaseee. I'd appreciate it.
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStixter View Post
and the damn manual doesn't have anything but what the names of the different inputs and the name's of the buttons...doesn't tell you how to connect and setup things...
False. Pages 19 and 20.

http://www.emu.com/support/files/sto...404-USB-EN.pdf
TheStixter
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear nut

Not the EMU0404...the SSL Alpha Xlogic...I know the EMU0404..I've had that for years
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Well the SSL has no settings for digital, so there's really nothing to say in its manual. The EMU has several different digital settings (described in the linked document from my last post), and it appears that you are not familiar with them. Other than that ensure that your ssl's spdif out is plugged to your emu spdif in, and that your emu spdif out is plugged to your ssl spdif in. The slutz help those who help themselves.
TheStixter
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
Gear nut

TheStixter
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
Gear nut

Any idea folks? :(
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
Gear addict

The bottom row (red) is for SPDIF in and out. The upper (white) are for limiter sidechain I believe. They are NOT stereo outs. I don't own it, but 2 minutes of research yielded results.

I think we're in the RTFM zone.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search