New Reply
Subscribe
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Gear interested

ZED 10FX and piezzo pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
I've configured the circuit to work with either acoustic (pickup/mic) or electric (single coil/humbucker) on CH3&4. You'll be able to get a great sound from an acoustic using a combination of Gain and the Boost switch on the back panel of the mixer. For most acoustics I'd recommend no boost (switch in out position) with moderate gain. For more sustain/overdrive/tone on an electric I'd suggest boost switch in and a lower setting on the Gain knob. The Boost switch increases the gain of the Class A FET stage giving more harmonics.
Don't use CH1&2 for guitars - you'll get a dull sound because the impedance will be too low for the pickup.
hi alien health,

i have a bit unusual questions, so please bear with me - being a newbie and all

if I connect 4 instrument pickups Shadow SH SC1 to line inputs, what will be the difference in sound between CH1&2 and CH3&4?

it says in the Shadow pickups manual, that these piezo pickups have very high impedance output, and that they should be connected to a low impedance input?? - but will that not result in "dull" sound with almost no low end?

So if I connect them to HI-Z inputs 3 or 4, that would that then be "bridged" connection?

info sheet for pickups:
http://www.shadow-electronics.com/do...2_englisch.pdf

I also have one question about the Zed 10FX (am just before buying it

For using computer via USB as an loop or effect device - what is the difference between usb return on ST2 section level or on the Playback level?

Cheers,
Mark
27th January 2011
Old 27th January 2011
Gear interested

allen heath zed 10 fx resistor problem

Dear Allen&Heath
Just want to thank you for wonderful product. I've been using it with great pleasure.

Unfortunately the Pan/Bal resistor has not been operating properly. Seems like it's faulty. How can I get a replacement for it? What I need is the exact specs for it. The thing is I live in Omsk, Siberia and few companies mail stuff here from Europe or US. If I have the specs I can look for some here or in Asian websites.

Thank you
16th February 2011
Old 16th February 2011
Gear interested

Thumbs up

Hi folks:

Let me say something about the ZED10FX USB Driver. I have found most of guys have been pissed up by official USB driver excluded. Well, I used to have a Behringer X1204 USB mixing board with a full-driver disc. As a most stupid trying, I installed it, then the system has recognized it as a Behringer USB Audio Interface, lol, which does really works so much better than the win7 junky driver. Thus, you guys who want to live better with the USB recording feature, download that Behringer Driver from its official website.

It is really funny, isn't it?

Also what I wanna metion is the three-band-EQ is unbelievably amazing. But I have not try the preamp individually. I guess it is a really crazy nice gear for Live. I am gonna bring it to my performance in this weekend.

Also, I am waiting for the god-dammmmn-it shipping from USPS, which is about my Focusrite Liquid Channel. It has been 12 work days. How can it be that freaaking slow! lol!

Enjoy with your A&Hs <--- looks like a fast food brand... lol ....
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Gear interested

ZED10FX USB out to mac

Hi

This is a newbie question and I would appreciate any help you can offer.

I connected the USB out to my macbook pro.
It recognized it as USB audio codec.
I set the input device to "usb audio codec" in system preferences under Sound.
It says "the selected device has no input controls" and the volume appears to be at 0.
I also checked in "Audio MIDI setup" under Applications and it recognizes USB audio codec both in and out. But does not allow me to change the volume.

When I try to record in Garage Band, no sound appears.

What should I do?

THanks for the help.
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Are you sure you have audio coming from the mixer? The controls are on the mixer, not in the Mac. Same as any digital input!

L
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Gear interested

I definitely have audio coming out of the mixer. I have been successfully mixing for several months now, and have used Main Mix outs and Aux out.

I am not sure how to check if sound comes out of the USB out other than by connecting it to the mac.

In order to record, I pressed the Record buttons on the used tracks. As I said, I can hear those tracks through the Main Mix outs. I also pressed the two buttons under USB Out "Record Bus" and "Aux-FX".
Is there anything else I should be doing?

At the moment, I am not able to adjust the input volume in the Garage Band input setup for USB audio codec. It appears to be set at 0 and is greyed out.
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosik View Post
Is there anything else I should be doing?
Have you read the manual thoroughly?
http://www.allen-heath.com/webfm_send/925

Hmm, the Fn manual is woefully incomplete!

But I'll bet you need to unclick the FX output but keep the Rec Bus active.

Can anyone who owns or sells these things help this newbie?

L
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Gear interested

I read the manual numerous times. I also tried all configurations of the USB buttons:
Record bus only, Record bus with FX, and neither Record bus nor FX (should output the main mix).

The strange thing is that the mac sees the usb audio codec, but there is no option to adjust the in volume. By now, I tried it with another macbook too. Same problem.

I'm still lost.
16th March 2011
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

I have never seen one of these, but from the manual it appears you need to be sure you have signal coming into one of the channels, press the record bus button, bring up the fader, and you should see and hear it in the Mac (if you know how to get sound out of your Mac). I assume you know that, and have some software that gets it signal from USB input, right? There is not level control on the Mac for a digital input because it is digital, right? You feed it some digital signal and it will see it.

There used to be an A&H rep answering questions here. Contact your dealer if you can't get it working!

Experimentation would have solved this problem in less than an hoiur - I have no idea how to instruct someone who cannot solve it by experimentation...

Somebody help this person!

L
17th March 2011
Old 17th March 2011
Gear interested

I found what the problem was.

The Zed10FX was connecting to the mac, but the volume/gain was set too low to register in Garage Band. Apparently I needed to set it much higher (and to turn down my powered speakers that were blasting when I increased the volume).

Thanks everyone who helped and sorry for the confusion.
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Hi Chantomas,

The effects engine can be turned off by selecting all LED's off on the effects selection. Also we are implementing a change in the design so that the Effects output jack socket doubles up as an effects mute footswitch input.

I hope that helps,
Cheers,
Mike.

HELP MIKE!
Although you are implementing a change in the design so that the Effects output jack socket doubles up as an effects mute footswitch input in the future .. That won't help me since I just purchased mine.
I'm pretty electronically handy and I'm willing to void my warranty - Is there any way that you might guide me through a way to make that modification myself? (I'd be willing to add a female 1/4" jack somewhere on the chassis for my footswitch ... maybe a magical wire's path I can switch???)
The ability to remotely switch off the fx is essential for me as I perform solo and do not have a sound man on my payroll ... Hey! I don't even have a payroll.

Last edited by bama; 26th March 2011 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: omission
30th May 2011
Old 30th May 2011
Gear interested

Hi,
I just got the same ZED 10FX and thanks for all the answers here! Really helpful!
Let me just note that the manual misses any information about the "monitor Out" RCA's.

But my question, sorry if it's really stupid, is this:
What's the use of "Mainmix insert L/R" jack" sockets?

thanks,

Ricardo
14th June 2011
Old 14th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Hi Musiclee,
Yes the change will be implemented on new mixers though I would need to confirm an effective date.

Cheers,
Mike.
Hi Mike
It's now 9 months later ..... has the Effects Input Footswitch baby finished gestation and been born yet? I'm on point of buying a 10-FX as it seems to match all my criteria but would like to know if this issue has been resolved yet. If not is there an update?
Thanks
Ozi
27th June 2011
Old 27th June 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Unfortunately the Pan/Bal resistor has not been operating properly. Seems like it's faulty.
Oh no. The second complaint in this thread about build quality.

I was looking at this mixer because my Soundcraft Compact 4, a 2008 design, is built sooooo badly, every pot is deteriorating without hardly any use at all. Covered in Saran wrap for extra protection ( that was pointless ).

Any others with build complaints?
30th June 2011
Old 30th June 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Oh no. The second complaint in this thread about build quality.

I was looking at this mixer because my Soundcraft Compact 4, a 2008 design, is built sooooo badly, every pot is deteriorating without hardly any use at all. Covered in Saran wrap for extra protection ( that was pointless ).

Any others with build complaints?
Hi Angler,
We had a problem with a batch of potentiometers used in the PAN control position where some intermittency occured at certain positions. This was thankfully confined to a limited period of production and we can trace which products were affected. If there is such a problem then it would be covered by warranty.
The potentiometers used in the ZED-10 have been used for years across the range of products that we produce - some have been in service for 25 years or more! Component problems from suppliers do happen sometimes but they have been very rare thank goodness, and then rectified by the supplier. I can assure you that we do our best to use the best components possible, and maintain the best build standard possible with individual circuit boards and components bolted to the front panel.
Kind regards,
Mike.
+44 (0)1326 377097
w: www.allen-heath.com
30th June 2011
Old 30th June 2011
Gear maniac

A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozicaveman View Post
Hi Mike
It's now 9 months later ..... has the Effects Input Footswitch baby finished gestation and been born yet? I'm on point of buying a 10-FX as it seems to match all my criteria but would like to know if this issue has been resolved yet. If not is there an update?
Thanks
Ozi
Hi Ozi,
Sorry for the late reply - just seen the post....
It should be in production now, I was told March was the time it got introduced (it takes a while to happen in production these days due to long lead times). The best thing to do in order to confirm it is to check with the dealer who can check the serial number of their stock with our Tech Support department. They will have the serial numbers of the units logged and will know exactly when the change happened.
I hope that's ok,

Cheers,
Mike.
1st July 2011
Old 1st July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosik View Post
I found what the problem was.

The Zed10FX was connecting to the mac, but the volume/gain was set too low to register in Garage Band. Apparently I needed to set it much higher (and to turn down my powered speakers that were blasting when I increased the volume).

Thanks everyone who helped and sorry for the confusion.
The "volume/gain" on what? there is no gain on a digital signal, so I'm guessing it wasn't a setting anywhere on the Zed10 who's instruction manual you were bashing.
1st July 2011
Old 1st July 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondamarela View Post
Let me just note that the manual misses any information about the "monitor Out" RCA's.

But my question, sorry if it's really stupid, is this:
What's the use of "Mainmix insert L/R" jack" sockets? thanks, Ricardo
Ok easy one first, "inserts" are TRS jacks where you can plug in a stereo TRS-Y cord for send/return hooked up to external effects processors. Works the same way as a guitar amp with a single-jack for an effects loop.

As for the Monitor out, the instructions on the monitor out need to be considered in conjunction with the explanation of the headphone out section. There's a monitor level control. The monitor out essentially gives you six options, starting with the main mix, and then going to five additional options from the Headphone out. In turn, the headphone out has its own six options (one of which is a repeat of the main mix):

(1) any of the channels that have a "listen" button pressed, sending a pre-fader-level signal to the headphone bus, and for our purposes, on to the monitor out RCA jacks
(2) Main mix (all three buttons up and all the listen buttons up) - you get this option directly on the aux out with the "main mix" button on the aux out.
(3) Record bus
(4) Aux - probably the most common use for a "monitor" out, using the aux bus for an independent mix for stage monitors (as far as I can predict the practical use of all these buttons...)
(5) Playback - if something is plugged into the playback jacks
(6) USB input using the “Playback” button if nothing is plugged into the Playback jacks

As I understand it, these buttons work in a priority mode, so the first button controls no matter whether the second or third one is pressed, and so on down the line.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear maniac

Wink A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
The "volume/gain" on what? there is no gain on a digital signal, so I'm guessing it wasn't a setting anywhere on the Zed10 who's instruction manual you were bashing.
Actually, it does mention exactly this problem with some operating systems on page 24 (ZED-10) or page 26 (ZED-10FX) of the user guide under "important note".
It's a commonly reported thing though - and most of us would expect it to work automatically when connecting to a computer.

Cheers,
Mike.
5th July 2011
Old 5th July 2011
Gear interested

Didn't mean to sound so harsh, but the point is that the computer side of things is almost never as user friendly as the mixer.
6th July 2011
Old 6th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hi Angler,
We had a problem with a batch of potentiometers used in the PAN control position where some intermittency occured at certain positions. This was thankfully confined to a limited period of production and we can trace which products were affected. If there is such a problem then it would be covered by warranty.
Thanks for responding.

I like your board a lot except for one thing. Dual output headphones, one which can mix between the music and the artist volume, like on the soundcraft 4 ( a 200 dollar board at the time). This feature is amazing for us apt. engineers. I used that feature all of the time. Soundcraft had a brilliant design on that board, I used ALL of the features, ( even turntables, although that's useless now), except they went cheap on the production quality. Now I don't trust companies who build in China anymore...which is every one.

To be honest, I'd rather spend $200 more, and buy from a guy who mods ( resolders everything properly) and puts a dual headphone feature on it. If Scott from ADK built such a mixer, I'd buy it.
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Mike, (AlienHeath)

Just curious if A&H have any plans for a Zed-10 ish small format mixer with 10i/10o 24-bit USB interface, duo-micamps, and all the bells and whistles of the larger siblings. A laptop and this would do wonders for many without a high track count need. I think A&H could push a shyte load out the door with an updated look and again the ability to pull at least 10 tracks out of 'puter for EQing/Mixing etc.

The beautiful thing about having a unit as flexible as this would be (and unique in the market - as far as small form factor goes) is that you can increase the price point to recoup without much moans.

just curiousity

Suffering from one of Lifes greatest atrocities..and one of its greatest triumphs ~ Self Education
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

Some ideas: for zed10-ish mixer (have a ton more for a zed14ish)

* 4 mono channels - 3 stereo but 16/16 i/o interface (extra channel i/o's for loopback -> record live mix back into a pair of dedicated interface input channels (no extra software repatching), send/returns etc)
* less colourful exterior - earthy tones for a "professional look"
* 4 band eq - on all channels (full parametric on mid-bands, shelving/bell on hi low)
* dual headphone outs (ideal for example - guitarists accompanied by a vocalist)
* k-20 system metering on master (same footprint as current 12 bar) oled display (ok im pushing)
* relaxed pricing - because thats not what this is about . Its to create a professional - modest track count - all in one solution that'll fit in a gig bag but rocks out as hard as an R16 Gsr24.. right?
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

I'm really diggin' my ZED14 just the way it is. The pre's are really solid, fantastic. I also have to give props to A&H for the quality ADAC in the ZED. I'm used to my BLA converters (for 3+ years) but have been using the USB connection on the ZED for 2 months now and am super pleased. I feel I can tell good ADAC when I hear it and A&H does not disappoint. There's something about the 16 bit tracking (into a 24 bit environment) that retains an analog feel. I realize that's borderline blasphemy but...

Of course this type of setup wouldn't suit everyone's needs but I'm fortunate my needs right now are very simple and the 14 pony's up very nicely. Since getting the 14 my mic preamp lust has been slaked. That's like 3 years with no desire for "better" pre's...holy shizzlestix Batman.
15th July 2011
Old 15th July 2011
Lives for gear

No doubt they are really useful as is.

Maybe its just me but lugging around a mixer and computer... if possible id like the ability to send the busses back in through the mixer since its already there. Without having to pick up an interface to do just that. Isnt cost associated... its the finding another power outlet / more weight / and its 2011 its completely feasible to have that on board the mixer itself.
18th July 2011
Old 18th July 2011
Gear interested

Hi i just bought my zed 10fx last week and have already used it in live event... Well now i am at home and was going to use this baby with cubase but got problems with latency... I've tried Asio4all and Behringer mixer-drivers but not have managed to get decent latencies without drop-outs. I'm using Win7 64bit and a lot of vst's and audio.
18th July 2011
Old 18th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesii View Post
Hi i just bought my zed 10fx last week and have already used it in live event... Well now i am at home and was going to use this baby with cubase but got problems with latency... I've tried Asio4all and Behringer mixer-drivers but not have managed to get decent latencies without drop-outs. I'm using Win7 64bit and a lot of vst's and audio.
That's too bad because latency is a deal-breaker for me too. With the ZED14 I can safely say I her 0 latency. Trust me, if there was any latency I wouldn't be singing it's praises. I bought and tried the new box from sound devices recently, that little USBPre2 thingy; and the latency was god awful IMO. I'm not cracking on SD, don't get me wrong. Fine products.
27th July 2011
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and audio recording, but I just purchased the ZED-10FX and I am really enjoying it. These are my first impressions and qualms.

Once I figured out the ground loop issue with my PC I was able to enjoy the ZED-10FX.

The latency is NOT an issue for me. I was a bit worried because I set the i/o buffer in logic to 32 (as I usually do to cut down on latency) and audio was playing fine, but there was popping all over the software instrument tracks. Once I set the I/O Buffer size to 64 (increased latency to 3.2milliseconds, still inaudible), the popping went away.

So, I love the vocal preamps and I haven't experimented with the Hi-Z inputs yet, no one in my group plays the guitar, I will have to get some guitarists over or purchase a violin pickup. The sound through the mains (Yamaha HS80Ms) is fantastic. I have the aux out routed to my QSC K-8 (turned way down in the apartment).

I would like to be able to EQ the Aux track and Main track separately, although I don't really know anything about EQing at this point, so I am liable to screw something up anyway.

All told, I am very satisfied with my purchase. The Zed 10FX is an Excellent budget analog mixer and a very passable 1in/1out audio interface.

The only things that I wish I could have is a version with 4in/4out and 24bit 44kHz. Perhaps the next time I upgrade, but I think that I will be able to cover all of the bases between the Zed10 and my Firewire 410 (hate this thing).

I would love to hear anyone's advice on tweaks and how I should set things up (using it for recording the band one track at a time as well as playing live). Setup is currently Edrums, Grand Piano (or Logic's Steinway), software synth bass, and single track vocals.

Thanks for listening and if the A&H rep is still around, thanks for providing a great product. I'm very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen and Heath ZED 10-FX-photo.jpg  
Prophet 08, Minibrute, MFB 522, ; RME UCX, Yamaha HS80M; DT770; PCR-800, Ableton Push; 3x MXL MCA SP-1 (modded), SM58, SM57; Ableton, Logic , Komplete 8 Ultimate; a lot of bass traps; a few pieces of cheap outboard.

https://soundcloud.com/pajama-bomb/11014-live-set-improv-lunch
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear interested

Which hole?

Just figured out how to use my Zed fx 10, and I'm hoping to take it away with me for a live gig in Vienna! We are currently using a Vestax mixer PCV-275.

I need to be able to

1. Hear my vocals when I'm recording. What is the set up to hear the song through the mixer, but also get monitoring abilities through the zed 10fx
  2. If I'm recording in soundforge, why cannot I not record the music aswellas the vocals. Why is the mixer not sending a signal to the computer when the USb connector is made. Currently Record bus is selected, as is 48v to mic. The vocals can be heard but not the instrumental.
Basically it appears to be a problem with getting the output from the zedfx to the mixer, but I have no idea. I'm a bit of an amateur

Thanks for any help in advance

Lexi
22nd August 2011
Old 22nd August 2011
Gear interested

So... Suddenly my playback knobs and fx won't work... Haven't poured any coffee or like that to the mixer
Just no playback sound through main output but headphones gives signal with playback-button and can't get any fx to mic preamps with aux/level

ANYONE ELSE?! HELP!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search