dreamless
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to dreamless
Melcor 2 band eq

I was thinking about buying this eq

http://store.yahoo.com/primalgear/clme2baeq.html

I know it requires a powers supply to work, but I'm not sure how/what. Do I have to stick it in an API lunchbox? Or is there a cheaper way to make it useable?
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear addict

I couldn't do this by private message, so here goes:

From a prior Gearslutz post:

"Two vintage hard-to-find Melcor EQ-20 two band discrete EQs - racked by Tubesville Thermiotics. The high band selection pot shaft is broken on one of the pair. Great sound. $525 for the racked pair + shipping. Original face plates are included, but are not part of the rack mounting."

These are not API compatible modules. You would need a power supply and pigtails (or whatever) for input/output.

My pair is still available. I haven't used them in awhile, but I really liked what they did to the low end as I recall. I could take some photos and send them to you. They are functionally but inelegantly racked with 1/4 ins/outs and power supply, on-off switch and pilot light.
dreamless
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscurse
I couldn't do this by private message, so here goes:

From a prior Gearslutz post:

"Two vintage hard-to-find Melcor EQ-20 two band discrete EQs - racked by Tubesville Thermiotics. The high band selection pot shaft is broken on one of the pair. Great sound. $525 for the racked pair + shipping. Original face plates are included, but are not part of the rack mounting."

These are not API compatible modules. You would need a power supply and pigtails (or whatever) for input/output.

My pair is still available. I haven't used them in awhile, but I really liked what they did to the low end as I recall. I could take some photos and send them to you. They are functionally but inelegantly racked with 1/4 ins/outs and power supply, on-off switch and pilot light.

That sounds awesome, but I only need one, don't want a broken one, and I don't have $525. If I bought the single one from primal gear, would I be able to find info on how to add a power supply and I/O to it to make it function? Or find someone to do it?
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer
That sounds awesome, but I only need one, don't want a broken one, and I don't have $525. If I bought the single one from primal gear, would I be able to find info on how to add a power supply and I/O to it to make it function? Or find someone to do it?
There are various individuals on GS who are very familiar with racking/powering vintage gear. Maybe you should post a query focusing on that (after doing a search). Good luck.
dreamless
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscurse
There are various individuals on GS who are very familiar with racking/powering vintage gear. Maybe you should post a query focusing on that (after doing a search). Good luck.
Thanks. I did search but didn't find much info. I think I'll buy it and find someone to rack it up. One more question... I only need it for minor eq adustments during tracking. Does it accept line level signals so I can insert it after a pre? What exactly are the filters on it... Hi/lo pass or Hi/lo shelf... ?
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear addict

It is typicaly set-up to be a line level EQ. That's how I use it. The EQ as far as I know is not shelving. It is a reasonably broad band peaking EQ. I've never measured the narrowness/width of the Q.... It just sound good.
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
Gear addict

Primal Gear or VintageKing.com or MarquetteAudioLabs.com etc. should be able to point you in the right direction vis-a-vis racking.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search