Login / Register
 
Melcor 2 band eq
New Reply
Subscribe
dreamless
Thread Starter
#1
17th November 2005
Old 17th November 2005
  #1
Gear nut
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 100

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to dreamless
dreamless is offline
Melcor 2 band eq

I was thinking about buying this eq

http://store.yahoo.com/primalgear/clme2baeq.html

I know it requires a powers supply to work, but I'm not sure how/what. Do I have to stick it in an API lunchbox? Or is there a cheaper way to make it useable?
#2
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #2
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 412

blesscurse is offline
I couldn't do this by private message, so here goes:


From a prior Gearslutz post:

"Two vintage hard-to-find Melcor EQ-20 two band discrete EQs - racked by Tubesville Thermiotics. The high band selection pot shaft is broken on one of the pair. Great sound. $525 for the racked pair + shipping. Original face plates are included, but are not part of the rack mounting."

These are not API compatible modules. You would need a power supply and pigtails (or whatever) for input/output.

My pair is still available. I haven't used them in awhile, but I really liked what they did to the low end as I recall. I could take some photos and send them to you. They are functionally but inelegantly racked with 1/4 ins/outs and power supply, on-off switch and pilot light.
dreamless
Thread Starter
#3
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #3
Gear nut
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 100

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to dreamless
dreamless is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscurse
I couldn't do this by private message, so here goes:


From a prior Gearslutz post:

"Two vintage hard-to-find Melcor EQ-20 two band discrete EQs - racked by Tubesville Thermiotics. The high band selection pot shaft is broken on one of the pair. Great sound. $525 for the racked pair + shipping. Original face plates are included, but are not part of the rack mounting."

These are not API compatible modules. You would need a power supply and pigtails (or whatever) for input/output.

My pair is still available. I haven't used them in awhile, but I really liked what they did to the low end as I recall. I could take some photos and send them to you. They are functionally but inelegantly racked with 1/4 ins/outs and power supply, on-off switch and pilot light.

That sounds awesome, but I only need one, don't want a broken one, and I don't have $525. If I bought the single one from primal gear, would I be able to find info on how to add a power supply and I/O to it to make it function? Or find someone to do it?
#4
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #4
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 412

blesscurse is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer
That sounds awesome, but I only need one, don't want a broken one, and I don't have $525. If I bought the single one from primal gear, would I be able to find info on how to add a power supply and I/O to it to make it function? Or find someone to do it?
There are various individuals on GS who are very familiar with racking/powering vintage gear. Maybe you should post a query focusing on that (after doing a search). Good luck.
dreamless
Thread Starter
#5
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #5
Gear nut
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 100

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to dreamless
dreamless is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscurse
There are various individuals on GS who are very familiar with racking/powering vintage gear. Maybe you should post a query focusing on that (after doing a search). Good luck.
Thanks. I did search but didn't find much info. I think I'll buy it and find someone to rack it up. One more question... I only need it for minor eq adustments during tracking. Does it accept line level signals so I can insert it after a pre? What exactly are the filters on it... Hi/lo pass or Hi/lo shelf... ?
#6
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #6
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 412

blesscurse is offline
It is typicaly set-up to be a line level EQ. That's how I use it. The EQ as far as I know is not shelving. It is a reasonably broad band peaking EQ. I've never measured the narrowness/width of the Q.... It just sound good.
#7
18th November 2005
Old 18th November 2005
  #7
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 412

blesscurse is offline
Primal Gear or VintageKing.com or MarquetteAudioLabs.com etc. should be able to point you in the right direction vis-a-vis racking.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
unkle bubba / So much gear, so little time!
1
infiniteposse / Geekslutz forum
0
malkjos / Geekslutz forum
48
ozoftheelements / So much gear, so little time!
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.