Yamaha i88x / mLAN FAQ...
Old 16th June 2006
Gear interested

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen
Actually, how do i setup a stereo monitor mix with the i88x? Always 1 side only in Samplitude getting really annoying now. Sorry but i havn't RTFM. What am i doing wrong?

Ditto, only I'm using Acid pro 6.
Long lurker and I registered to speak up about his very prob. Would be nice if there was a way to tweak it, but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I was just gonna rig a mono headphone adaptor from radio shack parts. Figured that would also allow me to get a quick/rough idea of what the mixes sound like in mono...
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Old 1st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
just a heads-up - the mac universal binary driver is out:

http://mlancentral.com/drivers.php

OMG!!!! Just in time, bring me a MacBook!

WEEEE
Old 3rd July 2006
Gear Head

i´ve just ordered my i88x interface from sweetwater. very good international support and the only one, that i´ve found on the net which is selling it to europe (us only, uk is much more expensive...)

i´m really looking forward to get started working with this interface. i sold my motu 24i and 424(not io, the older one) for it. would there be drastical improvements of soundquality in recording my mpc 2000 outs and in general?
Old 3rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milza
would there be drastical improvements of soundquality in recording my mpc 2000 outs and in general?
hi, milza. i think you'll be happy with the sound quality of the unit...

---------------------------------------------------

btw, just wanted to pass this along to anyone using mLAN gear on a mac: it appears that the new UB driver doesn't address the audio offset or cpu spiking bugs of the previous driver versions (pc users are not affected).

there's a group of users over on the 01xray.com forums who've put together a campaign to put pressure on apple / yamaha to fix the outstanding bugs. we need as many folks as possible to help out with this. it only takes a moment to copy, paste and send an email. thanks in advance...

Quote:
OK, friends. I think it is time to be heard. I suggest we start with Apple first if only because Yamaha tells us it is Apple that is holding things up... and because we can address them in the english language (so our Yamaha Japan letter will be forth coming as soon as I've made a good contact for translation.

If you would, please. Copy and paste this letter and send to three places.

1. Christine Wilhelmy, Pro Apps Media Relations/Pro Audio, Video & Photo Apps. If she isn't the person to contact, she certainly should know who is (sorry for the flood of e-mails in advance, Christine).

cwilhelmy@apple.com

2. Logic Pro Feedback Form
http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic.html

3. Mac OSX Feedback Form
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

-------------------------------------

To whom it may concern,

I am a customer of both Apple and Yamaha products, as well as a member of Keyfax's 01xray.com forums (a community of mLAN users including Apple customers). Our members are growing increasingly frustrated by a lack of advancement in mLAN for OSX. We have been told on more than one occasion that although mLAN is a YAMAHA technology, Apple is a partner in its development for OSX and things can not advance without Apple's support.

Most of the early issues with mLAN for Windows XP have been addressed in updates to Yamaha's mLAN tools for XP (now on version 1.5.5). However, major shortcomings in the software on OSX (1.0.6) have mired mLAN's advancement as a viable professional standard for music production on Apple computers. Our technically capable users are relegated to unusual workarounds to make the most out of what really should be cutting edge audio-midi-networking on "the world's most advanced operating system", OSX.4 Tiger.

Areas that need immediate attention:

1. A random offset in all audio recorded through mLAN. Please read an explanation here:
http://www.01xray.com/forums/showfla...=&fpart=1&vc=1

2. An incomplete graphic patchbay. We are unable to split mLAN I/O. The patchbay is essentially crippled in comparison to its XP counterpart.

3. mLAN for OSX does not allow for any device other than the Mac to serve as wordclock master.

4. mLAN for OSX suffers from inefficient use of CPU and CPU "bursts" or "spikes" during performance.

At this time we implore Apple Computer to acknowledge their customers concerns and commit to a resolution.

Sincerely,

[Your Signature Here]
http://www.01xray.com/forums/showfla...5&o=&fpart=all
Old 8th September 2006
Gear interested

Wink

I just wanted to chime in on the i88x. I've had mine for about 4 months now, use it every day on a Mac G5 2.5 dual with Panther. I'm running the v. 1.05 mlan tools here's my studio setup.

Logic Audio>Mac G5>i88x>Motu 2408 Mk3,Tascam DM24>Apogee Trak 2.
I use the i88x as master, in aggregate interface in Panther with the Motu 2408.

Here's how I get it all to work. Aggregate Interface> i88x master, 2408 slave, DM24 Digital mixer slave to Adat sync from i88x, Motu Slaves from DM24 via Word Clock, Apogee Trak 2 slaves from Adat sync from DM24. No problems what so ever everybody seems to be happy and sounding good. No digital glitches, I don't notice any extra strain on my CPU as others have mentioned but there is an offset on the Adat port it's about 3 ms and internally there is none if you are going directly from the mic pres. I have tested and rebooted a few times and seems to be fairly consistant within 5 samples or so.

Great mic pre's on this little box plus 128x oversampling and 2 Gb+ of ram for the DA/AD converters. I know this box pretty good and what you won't find on any posts is that you can use the mic pres directly out of the box from the line outs and also through the inserts bypassing all the mlan stufff completely. The 2 biggest Yamaha design flaws on this unit are; 1.) you can only monitor 2 inputs at a time with the no latency monitoring on this box... big undersight by Yamaha, you can record more than 2 but only monitor 2 with no latency.

note: If you need to play back and monitor more than 2 channels with no latency, your going to have to find a work around with this box. When I have more than two channels I use the outputs for channels 1&2 and send them to the analog inputs of the Motu 2408 and monitor everything with the MOTU no latency Cue Mix Console, works fine, I still record through the i88x digital ins and get the great DA converters on the Yamaha (for inputs 1&2 only)
2.) i88x mlan has to be the master clock, leaving not very many options for studio clocking.

If you own only one piece of digital gear, this clocking issue won't be a problem, but if you have lots of digital gear as I do this presented some serious time spent in working around how to clock everything.

I have 4 ribbon mics and it works great on two of them. The AEA R-92 it can't quite get enough gain to do the job for acoustic guitar, also my B&O BM3 it won't even get close to providing enough gain for it as that mic needs insane amounts of clean gain 60dB plus... that mic has shot down many a high end mic pre.

Back to the i88x it works fantastic on my Royer R-121's and a Beyer M500 infact better than my Avalon VT 737sp's on those mics.

The mlan firewire interface is the only reason this box is priced so cheap, they've had lots of driver problems for PC which I understand most have been resolved as of the last update. I had some latency issues with it when I first bought it but those seemed to be resolved with the latest OSX 1.05 update. I use it on a Mac G5 dual 2.5 with Logic Audio as my DAW. It's well built and sounds just as good as the RME Fireface 800 in my opinion, and better than the Motu and Pro Tools LE Gear. just doesn't have the same ease of use or options for clocking but it's about $1000 less expensive also. A BIG BANG FOR THE $$$ that's for sure!!!

PRO's and Con's:

The internal clock on this unit is as good as it gets and it allowed me to say goodbye to my Aardvark external clock, easily it did the same job better and I've never missed it. The mic pre's are very nice, smooth, quiet and detailed. The i88x requiring to be the master clock might cause some problems for some users who are using other external master clocks for their studio. Also the limited no latency monitoring is bound to cause problems if you're planning on recording more than 2 tracks at a time. For the money it's a great buy when you consider the quality of the hardware. Ease of use, ehhhhh,,,, not for the newby studio owner. Once you get it setup and working it does an excellent job but it's the setting up part that you should set aside some extra patience for. It took me some time to figure out just how to get all my equipment clocked but once I did it has been very problem free and Ive been very happy with it.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

aftermidnight: thanks for chiming in with the "aggregate device" tips. it's good to hear that things are working well with your system. have you tried your setup with a pc?
Old 10th September 2006
Gear interested

So I have 2 i88x's... one at my practice space that i use for tracking and one at home that i use for mixing and occasional tracking. I may be getting a larger practice space and moving all my gear there and I was wondering, how (is it even possible) do I go about hooking up both i88x's to 1 PC?

Can I use the MLAN Graphic Patchbay to route both devices through firewire for a total of 16 ins and 16 outs? Or do I have to use one as a primary and connect the other via SPDIF or something?

Also, could I get a 3rd for 24 ins and outs eventually?

Thanks much... also, this thread was one of the reasons I got my first one and I am loving them both...
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

hi, sandpanda. it sounds like you have the right idea: you can connect them both (via firewire) and use the graphic patchbay to configure them. page 20 of the i88x manual goes into more detail...

btw, you should be able to stream 64 channels in your mlan network (32in / 32out). you could add more mlan gear or connect another 16 channels of adat i/o. you've got lots of options. good luck!
Old 10th September 2006
Gear interested

Junior: I haven't tried it with my PC, but I'm tempted to but I have to admit I'm really happy with the RME Hammerfall card I have for my PC. I plugged it in it clocked immediately and I haven't had to even give it a thought.... Have they worked out all the issues or are some people still having problems on the PC side? Will it allow you to clock it to an external clock on the PC?

Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, actually the pc drivers work better than the mac (external clock sync works, no random offset, less cpu overhead). apparently, this is a system-level problem with apple's firewire audio drivers that doesn't occur on the pc. hopefully, apple resolves the issue with 10.4.8...
Old 11th September 2006
Gear interested

I have been using the i88X (and 01x) for over a year and I have been very happy with it. The mic pres are worth it alone! The drivers for the PC are a non-issue here (I have been using it on an intel iMAC core duo running Bootcamp and everything works great).
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

glad to hear that, valmundo.

btw, which sequencer are you using and what kind of performance are you getting?
Old 11th September 2006
Gear interested

I'm using Cubase (Which is why I am using the iMAC under Bootcamp...Cubase is not UB yet). My old PC was an Athlon XP3000+. I would say that there is an 40% improvement in performance compared to my old PC. So far I am very happy with it. Once, a UB version of Cubase is released, (and when Apple takes care of its firewire coreaudio drivers), I plan on making the switch from XP ro OSX.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

hmmm 40%?... sounds like we have pretty similar setups. i'm using cubase on an older xp2800+ pc. i've been thinking about picking up a macbook, but i'll probably wait for cubase 4 and more plugins to be released as universal binaries. can't wait!
Old 12th September 2006
Gear interested

From what I've read, the macbook will give you similar performance to an imac/macbook pro. Either way, it will be a big improvement over what you have now. Most vendors plan on rolling out UB versions of their plugins by the end of 2006 or early 2007.

Do you have the 01X? I actually purchased the i88X before the 01X, but now that I have it, I can't imagine recording and mixing without it.
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

i was thinking about picking up an 01x. how easy is the setup with cubase and vst plugs?
Old 13th September 2006
Gear interested

Its real easy since studio connections is integrated in cubase anyway.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear interested

Monitoring f/x while tracking with I88X ?

I am wondering if it is possible to set up f/x for monitoring while tracking with just the I88X and a hardware reverb? I realize there are inserts on the pres, but I don't want to track the reverb I just want to feed some into the singer's headphone mix and the control room mix. I do not want to monitor f/x in the recording software either.

Is there a clever way to do this with an I88X and without a mixer or an 01X?
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear maniac

Bill,
I'm sorry but I can't think of any way to do this without an 01x or other mLAN based mixer.
Old 27th October 2006
Gear interested

Well I've finally thrown in the towel on the i88x. I had a session a few weeks ago that was in 96k and became the final straw that broke this Yamaha users back. The inconsistant latency problem with Apple computers just can't depend on this unit in recording audio in my DAW, something to do with the i88x's firewire drivers not playing nice with Apple Computers. I guess it's all Apples fault. 4 out of 6 days of tracking and mixing I had to move files by hand the other two days it suddenly was spot on not even 1 sample off. When it was bad it was as much as 2500 samples off and more. Rebooting didn't seem to help just gave me another random latency problem. Really bad.

I like the sound of this box and the pres are nice but, but, but and then some more buts and excuses on why this unit just doesn't work the way it should. Sometimes you just got to say - it just aint worth the trouble.

I have spent eons of time trying to make it work like a pro piece of gear should work. I have to say that I have given it a very fair chance. I hope this saves someone else the hassels that I have gone through. I'm going over to RME for that AHH feeling. Meaning that is what I should've bought in the first place. I know at least 4 guys using their Firwire 800 and everyone raves about it, they spend all their time making (and ejoying music) and not on the internet reading posts in blogs about how to troubleshoot their audio card to hopefully make it work right. Or hoping that Yamaha finally releases the new drivers that fix the problems. I should've known better than to buy a discontinued item. I shoudl be kicking myself to the next state and back. It was discontinued for a really good reason. IT DOESN"T WORK RIGHT ALL THE TIME JUST SOME OF THE TIME!!!
dfegadi88x
Old 27th October 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Keep the i88x and ditch the Mac!! dfegad Mac!
Old 27th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
Keep the i88x and ditch the Mac!! dfegad Mac!
actually, i'd have to agree. until apple fixes the bugs in their core audio firewire drivers, you can expect to get random offsets on the mac - period. it looks like users of other hardware (ensemble/saffire/etc) are experiencing this too:

http://www.01xray.com/forums/showfla...5&o=&fpart=all

for anyone considering buying an i88x/01x to use with their mac, i'd say hold off until they work out the bugs... or, consider using a pc. fortunately, yamaha was free to write their own mlan drivers for the pc and everything works the way it should.

aftermidnight: sorry to hear about your troubles. good luck
Old 27th October 2006
Gear interested

IT DOESN"T WORK RIGHT ALL THE TIME JUST SOME OF THE TIME!!!
dfegadi88x[/QUOTE]

Good to know that it's working great on the PC side of things. So maybe someday there will be hope for the Mac side but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I'd like to leave with a quote by Will Rogers that seems appropriate.

"There are three kinds of men: ones that learn by reading,
few who learn by observation, and the rest of them have
to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves."

I guess I was one of those guys in the 3rd catagory!

Good thread. Create lots of music! Gearslutz is a great forum!
Old 28th October 2006
Gear addict

anyone ever use 2 or more of these things together at one time?
Old 28th October 2006
Gear maniac

Yup, I have two hooked up and running.

It works great!

Laters,
Aaron
Old 28th October 2006
Lives for gear

can you guys describe the sound of the i88x preamps or possibly compare them to any other decent preamps out there?
Old 30th October 2006
Gear interested

I would describe the preamps as being extremely transparent with plenty of gain. I am surprised how well my vocal recordings sit well in my mix. I have used preamps from the 002, the motu firewire boxes, presonus, and even a focusrite trackmaster, and the i88x blows them away, especially for the price they go for right now ($400 new).

If you have a PC and are somewhat savy in the installation process (for the drivers), I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 30th October 2006
Gear maniac

I just got a i88x hooked up! It went pretty darn smooth actually. I did have to disable the 1394 network but, thats easy enough.

Much Thanks to you Junior! This thread pretty much sealed my desision to buy. (that and the $319 blem price!)

I had an EZ-bus already so I needed an interface with adat in. Now I can Track my whole band without any pre mixing. 16 tracks. Very cool stuff

Next up......01x to replace the EZ-Bus.
Old 30th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
I would describe the preamps as being extremely transparent with plenty of gain. I am surprised how well my vocal recordings sit well in my mix. I have used preamps from the 002, the motu firewire boxes, presonus, and even a focusrite trackmaster, and the i88x blows them away, especially for the price they go for right now ($400 new).
yeah, i'm surprised more people don't buy these just to use as mic pres. it's a real sleeper, imo.

todd24: glad to hear you're up and running!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search