Which music distribution site?
New Reply
Subscribe
hemmick reef
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Which music distribution site?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but.....

I would like to get a single on itunes, Amazon etc. and wonder which is the best distribution site. I am in the UK so I am not sure how tax is worked out if selling through a US site.

Any advice would be very welcome.
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Focus on a site that suits your genre, as Beatport for overall electronica. Rap has some dedicated distro-sites. Same for Trance, as for Punk/HC...
msl
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Lots of choices, almost too many these days. The most popular are CDBaby and Tunecore. For general material not genre specific as i604 mentioned, you can look into AWAL and DittoMusic both are UK companies.

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

My band is going with ReverbNation because they get to more websites but I think they ended up being more expensive though.
cam
19th April 2010
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Just remember distribution is nothing without advertising. Your song will be one of 10,000 added that day so you have to spend $$$$ to get that name in front of people. Good luck!!
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Lots of choices, almost too many these days. The most popular are CDBaby and Tunecore. For general material not genre specific as i604 mentioned, you can look into AWAL and DittoMusic both are UK companies.

I agree, both Tunecore and CDBaby are the most popular, or ones that I've come across the most. I've used Tunecore in the past, they really do a good job of things. They put the music I was dealing with on itunes, amazon etc. (you can pick which places you want your music available). They made the CD's look really awesome, really good printing, lots of different printing/leaflet and casing options, stick ur own barcore on ur cd case and everything lol. I'm sure all offer similar choices though. I'd research what percentages they get from what you sell etc. and things like that.

Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Gear nut

i used tunecore for my first batch of tracks. i thought they had the best pricing and choice of sites (all over the world). i second guessed myself later when i saw that reverbnation claimed they could get you on pandora. but later found out that was false, as pandora's site states they have a selection process and no one else just places stuff on their site. that sketched me out about reverbnation and makes me not wanna ever use them.
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt12 View Post
i used tunecore for my first batch of tracks. i thought they had the best pricing and choice of sites (all over the world). i second guessed myself later when i saw that reverbnation claimed they could get you on pandora. but later found out that was false, as pandora's site states they have a selection process and no one else just places stuff on their site. that sketched me out about reverbnation and makes me not wanna ever use them.
Yeah I think it's as impt to get into these popular music discovery services (that may not pay royalties) as the actual download stores. Pandora (afaik) only considers submissions that are already selling as physical CDs in Amazon, and that is a prerequisite on top of their screening process, because I think their earn from the referral affiliation. I think music discovery is still mainly based on 1) word of mouth 2) Likeness and association in genre/style. The actual no. of people who make an effort to go dig around mp3 blogs to discover music are still the vanguard minority I would imagine.

Wonder if other people have good exposure using services like Slacker or Lastfm?
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks very much for the information.

Tunecore sounds like a good first choice.

For anyone in the UK what happens with making money through a distributor outside the UK - is there tax to pay? I'm not too sure with buying or selling electronic goods from software or music sites that offer direct downloads.
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Gear maniac

23rd April 2010
Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I like noisyplanet.net because they charge a modest membership fee then let you keep ALL of your download money. They provide widgets for myspace and personal web pages. Above the basic plan, the Premium and Pro memberships get you on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, eMusic, and one other I think. You also get free Internet radio spins on jango.com.
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear interested

iTunes and Beatport for electronic music
8th December 2012
Old 8th December 2012
Gear nut

re. electronic music: you can't go directly to Beatport (or iTunes that I'm aware) and get your music on there. Beatport is notoriously fickle and you must go with a distributor that already has a relationship with Beatport and even then it's not a guarantee they can get every label or artist they work with on the site. If you ARE trying to get on Beatport, I'd suggest EPM Music, they're great. All distributors will take at least 15% of your sales but usually 20% in my experience. (I believe that you can go to Juno Download directly which is getting more popular but not close to Beatport.)

re. other options for non-dance music: I wouldn't worry about a distributor or site that can get you on 6000 stores or whatever, as 80% of your sales will be iTunes, a bit from eMusic and a bit from Amazon and that's pretty much it. So you are better to ignore the people who say they're on a bazillion stores and go with who has the best reputation and can offer you the best deal.

In that case, I would go with something like tunecore or CD Baby where you pay a fee and that's it, you don't pay a % of your sales.

Re. using a distributor outside of the UK if you are in the UK - I think it depends on where you are; ie are you in an EU country or not. But really the tax is paid by the person downloading the song, depending on where they are. ie in Itunes UK you pay VAT, in Canada you pay HST or whatever. Your distributor should not tax you on your share of the money - but as the money is 'income' you would pay that when you do your taxes if you have such a thing where you are.

If having tax consequences to consider because you have so much download revenue is an issue, consider yourself lucky!!
10th December 2013
Old 10th December 2013
Gear interested

Music Distribution YOU can afford - PitchMyStuff.com

Before you make your decision, be sure to check out PitchMyStuff.com's Music Distribution. We take pride in helping bands and artists across the world by offering good, affordable services to support and fast forward their music careers. We offer worldwide digital distribution but at a lower cost (much lower in most cases), with improved benefits like enhanced YouTube Monetization and we still don't take a percentage from your sales that's just plain harsh (and rude!).

Our prices are only $9.99 a single, $15.99 for an EP and only $29.99 an album and our prices don't increase the second year. Check out PitchMyStuff's Digital Distribution for yourself here - Digital Distribution Overview | PitchMyStuff.com

Here's an overview:

- Sell your music in the top online music stores worldwide including iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, eMusic, 7Digital, MediaNet, Spotify, Rdio, Deezer, Beatport and more

- $9.99 a single, $15.99 an EP and only $29.99 an album of up to 50 tracks!

- Our prices don't increase on the second year

- 100% of royalties paid to the artist

- Free UPC/ISRC Barcodes

- Free Daily Trend Reports

- Own Distribution Dashboard

- Royalties paid monthly with free withdrawals

- Enhanced YouTube Monetization earning up to 60% more income than a standard YouTube user

- Keep all rights to your music

- Part of a worldwide Music Social Network and home to thousands of indie artists, bands, DJs etc. worldwide.

How does that sound? PitchMyStuff.com Digital Distribution - Digital Distribution Overview | PitchMyStuff.com

Thanks for reading

The PitchMyStuff Team
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search