QSC vs. Yorkville Powered Speakers
daddygreene
7th April 2010
Old 7th April 2010
Gear interested

QSC vs. Yorkville Powered Speakers

Newbie here.

I'm looking to purchase a "powered" FOH speaker system for my son's band. I would like to know you guy's opinions on the Yorkville Unity series vs. the QSC K series. Which do you feel is a better system? I know Yorkville is more money but not significantly so I'm more interested in the best sound and performance. I'm looking for a system that will give them the most flexible sound choices for various venues. But the reason I'm going powered is for convenience and less cabling.

I'm looking to purchase 4 subs and 4 top speakers - 2 sets for each side. For smaller venues I will only use 1 set each side.

I'd like opinions also;
SUBS - 12", 15" or 18" (bigger is not always better in sound).
SUBS - dual or single speaker
TOPS - 10", 12" or 15"
TOPS - 2-Way or 3-Way

If there is another "powered" speaker system in that price range that is BETTER please let me know your preference and why you would pick this over the one's I've listed above.

Thanks for your time and expertise.
7th April 2010
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Guru

Hard to say, really. You are gonna have to go look at them and put them up and down.

Another system to look at is the Cerwin Vega Active series. I know those sound good - especially in reverberant halls. The tops are quite heavy, though.

-tINY

7th April 2010
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Head

I use a pair of Electro-Voice SxA 360s for my keyboard amplification and they sound absolutely incredible. That being said, I do know a lot of keyboard players have been upgrading from the EVs to QSC K12s.

I've heard the Yorkville passive speakers and they sound good. I'm looking at purchasing a few active mains and I'm primarily looking at the K12s.
7th April 2010
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddygreene View Post
I'm looking to purchase 4 subs and 4 top speakers - 2 sets for each side. For smaller venues I will only use 1 set each side.

I'd like opinions also;
SUBS - 12", 15" or 18" (bigger is not always better in sound).
SUBS - dual or single speaker
TOPS - 10", 12" or 15"
TOPS - 2-Way or 3-Way
12" tops and 15" subs would be my advice. Also, consider only buying 1 set. Unless the boys are playing outdoors a lot you should be fine, and you can always rent a second set for the odd big show.

Remember that powered speakers are heavier and more awkward, need extension cords, and if either the amp or speaker goes down, you lose both.

Also whoever is doing sound with this rig should do their homework about power requirements and safety, and should own a multimeter.
daddygreene
9th April 2010
Old 9th April 2010
Gear interested

thanks guys. good advice.
10th April 2010
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

The K-12's truly are amazing speakers. Using them is like going from SD to HD. The detail and definition blew me away but they are not harsh whatsoever.

I haven't heard the sub for it. It looks a little small but if the K12 is a good indicator, it should make for a powerful setup.

For 200 or less people, I would agree with M4-10 and start with a single pair on each side, with subs. I have a small room that seats about 75, comfortably and with a 4-piece, I leave the speakers set at just under half, running unity on a Yamaha digital board. (tops only, on bass boost setting, no subs)
10th April 2010
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Heard a QSC powered PA about a month ago..definitely impressive for it's size. Don't think you could go wrong with it.

todd
10th April 2010
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

The Yorkville U15P is a triamplified 15" 3-way box with 60 degree dispersion. The QSC K12 is a biamplified 12" 2-way box with 75 degree dispersion.
Apples and oranges. Arraying two per side in wide rooms or outdoors, I'd take the Yorkvilles for the vocal clarity, as well as even array coverage. If the second set of mains will ever have to double as monitors, the K12 is better suited, but strictly used for mains the 3-way U15Ps have more get-up and go.
Your subwoofer question is vague, bigger isn't always better, so what models are you interested in comparing? If you go with the Unity tops, the UCS1P matching sub performs very well with four clustered. When you couple the horn mouths they run quite a bit deeper and are a pretty impressive sub array.
10th April 2010
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

ditto on the U15-P's. depending on what kind of music they play, 2 of those is plenty for small venues. sometimes too much.
i've had a pair for a couple of years and they're not only loud but they sound really good loud and at low levels as well. i sometimes plug in a cdrw2000 and listen to to music on them just for kicks.
they make one bad ass stereo system.
daddygreene
13th April 2010
Old 13th April 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
The Yorkville U15P is a triamplified 15" 3-way box with 60 degree dispersion. The QSC K12 is a biamplified 12" 2-way box with 75 degree dispersion.
Apples and oranges. Arraying two per side in wide rooms or outdoors, I'd take the Yorkvilles for the vocal clarity, as well as even array coverage. If the second set of mains will ever have to double as monitors, the K12 is better suited, but strictly used for mains the 3-way U15Ps have more get-up and go.
Your subwoofer question is vague, bigger isn't always better, so what models are you interested in comparing? If you go with the Unity tops, the UCS1P matching sub performs very well with four clustered. When you couple the horn mouths they run quite a bit deeper and are a pretty impressive sub array.
Subspace, good input and points. As for the Subs, I'm liking the UCS1P and the U15P's however, I just priced these out and WOW I didn't realize the Yorkville was almost twice the price!!!!

That brings me to ask the question does the Yorkville Unity line sound THAT much better than the QSC K-Series relative to the higher price? I'm not looking for a DJ rig, I'm looking for a sound system that will push a band and give a good quality sound and deliver the punch!

Thoughts???? Anyone.
NCP
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
NCP
Gear interested

hi, yeah, for most music the yorkvilles are going to be the more natural of the two because of the midrange in the system. Three cone drivers loaded into the horn at the point where the flare angle matches the flare rate for the range they cover handle far more power than is needed- so when the system is at full output, you are still only lightly driving the vocal range so it will be very clean still. Also, they use polymer diaphragm compression drivers instead of titanium so you don't hear that crappy harsh metallic break up sound either...
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Hard to say, really. You are gonna have to go look at them and put them up and down.

Another system to look at is the Cerwin Vega Active series. I know those sound good - especially in reverberant halls. The tops are quite heavy, though.

-tINY

I'm not a fan of the sound out of the Yorkvilles. I'd suggest looking at some newer JBL systems.

tINY have you tried any JBL's?
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Taking Down your Network

Go test out the QSCs. You will be impressed. The k series is sick. Even the 8s make great monitors. The 12s are monsters.
These are speakers that will age well with the band. If you have to sell they also retain value better.
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

That was 2 years ago,he probably bought something by now.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search