Superlux HD 660 headphones
New Reply
Subscribe
Puffer Fish
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Superlux HD 660 headphones

Okay, so I was planning to pick up another closed back set of cans for tracking and I found the Superlux HD 660. They looked suspiciously like my pairs of Beyerdynamic DT770s. Hmmmm... Chinese company that gets the typically mixed responses. I got them for around $75.00 (with shipping) on eBay and decided at worst they'll be my back-up tracking cans.

They arrived yesterday and they look VERY much like my Beyerdynamic headphones--VERY, very alike. My Beyers are made in Germany, so clearly someone in China was doing another copy, as they are prone to do. The Sperlux HD 660 has a shorter cable and it is coiled and the ear cups have fake leather/ plasticky covers instead of the very nice fabric Beyerdynamic uses, otherwise cosmetically the are alike.

As for sound, the important part, I have to say the Superlux people nailed it. Are they identical? Hmmm... they actually might be. Obviously I have one pair on and then have to switch to the other pair and in that regard it is a subjective evaluation, but they sounded alike to me. Certainly they sound enough alike that I would grab either kind and go for it with no regrets.

Now, the Beyerdynamic DT770 fits better. Probably most due to the fabric on the ear cups. But I think the Superlux HD 660 will break in and fit a little better in a short time.

So I am pleased with the purchase. If you see these and are looking for some more closed back cans and you are a low-end theory kind of person like myself, I say, go for it. I'd get another pair, but I have plenty now.
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear addict

awesome.. gota link to where they can be had?
Puffer Fish
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

well I found them on eBay. Try typing in Superlux HD660 under 'musical items' or whatever the pull-down menu is. I just gave my feedback to the seller this morning and the seller indicated they still had some to sell, so go do a search there.

Also, Superlux has a web site:
Superlux

They also make microphones, but I do not know anything about their other gear. I have read various posts and reviews on Superlux gear over the past couple years. Good luck!
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear nut

Puffer Fish
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

YES! Thanks, that is the place I got mine from. They shipped quickly.
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Weasel9992
I've owned two pair of the 660's and a pair of the 330's (semi open-back). The only thing I've been disappointed with is the build quality. The 660's both came apart after less than a year. The 330's are still working well.

Superlux is a decent Chinese OEM company. I've also got one of their CM8D LDC's...it's a fantastic mic for the money.

Frank
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Hmmm... thanks for the build quality warning. Time will tell how it will hold up compared to my Beyers.
21st May 2010
Old 21st May 2010
Gear nut

Thanks From AudioHipster

Wow This is a surprise indeed,.. The HD660 is not as nice as the Beyer-dy but they sound like your music is naked (hell you can't complain about that). the Hd-681 are the best buy on the planet very flat, but louder (but not like the ear ripping cheep shit) and highs to 30K a little much at first... like K240's on overdose. and preferred by many I record. the HD-668B are more mellow just a good phone. I just tried the HD-440 very pleasant and would be great for drummers closed ear. I wish they would import their other models. Doyen

Ps doyen don't give a dung about political correctness I am a starving studio owner and only care about the facts, quality and sound and I promote what I use myself. Thanks for keeping Tape rolling at AudioHipster come by and have a abbey you won't for get it.
31st December 2010
Old 31st December 2010
Gear nut

Closed Ear Cans that fit would be nice

The HD-660 are great sounding headphones but they like the many others do not hug your ears so you have to push in on the cans (unless you have a godzilla head) to get the isolation and hear the bass, So I have been on the war path to get affordable cans that would be great for tracking isolation and sound as good as the HD-681 and so I finley hit the gray market to special order the Superlux HD-662F and I could not be more elay~tied these cans have thicker pads awesome isolation and sound freeking amazing right out of the box. and wont fly off your head if your rocken too hard... and you don't have to look over to the drummer with his headband holding his AT cans to his head. The 662F will be our perfered isolation headphones here at AudioHipster. Doyen
1st January 2011
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I've been trying the HD 668, which sell for around $45. They're semi-open, so I can't use them on a guitar player with a click track, but for other stuff they're great. I started out with the cheaper ones - HD 681 (red trim) - for like $35 a set. All five crapped out on me within a year, down to only one side working, even after replacing the 1/4" jack. The HD 668 have a female minijack at the headphone, so if you step on the cord, it just comes unplugged. Genius. Hopefully, these will last longer than the HD 681's did. They also sound much better than the 681's - warmer, with a less piercing high end.

The Sennheiser 280's still get used in the drum room for isolation, but for singers, I think the semi-open design of the Superlux gives them a more ambient sound that makes it easier to stay on pitch.
10th March 2011
Old 10th March 2011
Gear nut

How do the 662's compare to the senn. hd280?
Puffer Fish
11th March 2011
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccisano1 View Post
How do the 662's compare to the senn. hd280?
I do not have any Sennheiser cans to make a comparison, but I think the point here regarding the 662 headphones is they are very inexpensive, built a little cheap, but they sound very good. So for the price, you will get great sonic results, but do take care in handling them. I still have mine and a friend of mine got some as well and they are still working just fine more than a year later, so maybe that will help with concerns regarding built quality. Again, for the price, just go for it. I think you'll be impressed and very happy with the sound.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
I've been trying the HD 668, which sell for around $45. They're semi-open, so I can't use them on a guitar player with a click track, but for other stuff they're great. I started out with the cheaper ones - HD 681 (red trim) - for like $35 a set. All five crapped out on me within a year, down to only one side working, even after replacing the 1/4" jack. The HD 668 have a female minijack at the headphone, so if you step on the cord, it just comes unplugged. Genius. Hopefully, these will last longer than the HD 681's did. They also sound much better than the 681's - warmer, with a less piercing high end.

The Sennheiser 280's still get used in the drum room for isolation, but for singers, I think the semi-open design of the Superlux gives them a more ambient sound that makes it easier to stay on pitch.
Hi the HD-681 the early red trim model had a run with a bad solder joint or they skinned the fine wire too much, but it is an easy fix... i repaired my first pair in less then 5 min and have sit on it twisted it into a ball jerked it out of the jack and it is still working fine, and in the US they have a 2 year warranty, so don't throw them away... the burgundy ring takes less burn in and is what is shipping currently. (681 has the widest frequency range of any can .) so far my cans have been indestructible. the 668B & 669 are soldered the same but have had no trouble with the can, only had trouble with 1m female side of the cable on a few... Also on the new 668B & 669 they come with a clip to hold the cable from slipping out of the head set. many do not agree they a 668B sound better, smoother in the upper end but no where near the bass or upper highs. so far i expect my superlux cans to hold up as good as my AKG (except for the pads, the AKG really wore out quick) and better then my lovely worn out 7506.
The older Tenlux design of the HD-660 uses 40MM drivers Vs the newer design of the HD-662F has 50MM drivers... the 662F simply sound much better, and have better isolation... and is sure to be a studio favorite... the reviews on the HD-662F i have gotten are hard to beat... and recording & film studios buy them by the six pack.
25th April 2011
Old 25th April 2011
Gear nut

ok ...Im willing to take a shot at trying a pair of the 662's...maybe you can pm me a price with shipping
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Head

Interesting. Can someone tell me if any of the Superlux headphone is good for mixing/critical listening?? If yes, which one would be the best and truest headphones? Would it be the HD660 or HD662 F?

Also if you have to pick an all rounder which one would it be? Thank you for helping out!!
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear nut

Here in china, superlux 660 are regarded as the standard tracking cans. I see them everywhere. Not sure they are up for critical listening, but for the money, I can't complain. Not sure where you guys get your superlux, here they sell for 30 some bucks each, more or less my cost if i were to import some moreme headphones for tracking. They are my chinese equivalents of moremes. I suspect they might sound better than moreme as well. They actually come in three flavors, each modeling after a different set of cans from a tier 1 manufacturer, akg, beyer, etc.
27th April 2011
Old 27th April 2011
Gear Head

Nice, I've heard good things about them and Superlux in general. I'd be curious to know if they are suited for monitoring.

According to you, what are their strengths as a tracking headphones? Isolation? frequency response? I'm tempted by the 662 F or 660.
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Gear interested

I would be nice if more places in China or Hong Kong sold the Superlux on eBay. I've had no luck finding the HD-660s anywhere in North America.
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Gear interested

30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

If in the US google AudioHipster for example, if in europe Thomann or SVS in the UK, might be others

Matti
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Gear Head

Anyone to tell me their experience between the 2 headphones please?
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear nut

Those of you who still need the Superlux headphones can contact me. If there's enough interest, I can help you guys get them directly from the distributor in town.
I have got a few of 662s. For quality given its price, There really is no other choice. The talents that walks in do like them as well. However, most of them bitch about the 660( the one that looks like Beyer) to be extremely uncomfortable. I find that they fit the ears a bit wrong. Most studio owners here with 660 tend to bend the metal above the earcups a bit to make them feel better. If done right, It can be very comfortable.
A cheaper alternative other than the superlux is the takstar TS650. at about 2/3 the price, they are great for tracking. I use these as tracking cans to hand out to big groups(we do quite a few chamber music groups, college choirs etc). They are very comfortable to wear, and they look like this:

How, The only complaint I have with these is that they sound a bit muffled and muddy at the low end. However, a few of us here suspect that it has to do with the thick layer of foam covering the driver. We will probably remove those and give it another listen next week.
Just an alternative for you guys to look at.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search