Presonus Studio One Artist issues
New Reply
Subscribe
graymj86
22nd March 2010
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Head

Presonus Studio One Artist issues

About a month ago, I purchased a PreSonus Firebox. I love it, it's a great product. It came bundled with Studio One artist. I had heard a lot about this software and I really wanted to try it. Of course, my computer is not online so I couldn't download the demo. My Sweetwater sales rep was speaking highly of the software so I thought it would be great.

At first, it was. It looks like Cubase, because the same engineers designed it (or so I was told). You can do a lot of great things with this software.

But you can't use third-party plugins. Okay, so you can, but only the plugins that came with the software (which is EZDrummer lite, Kore player and Guitar Rig 3 le). I know I shouldn't expect too much, the software was free with the Firebox, but I do have Amplitube 2 and I'd like to use it. Ampire is the amp plugin that PreSonus makes, and it blows.

I know it comes with Guitar rig 3 le, but I installed it and have to activate it blah blah blah....

But for some reason, BOTH EZDrummer lite and Guitar Rig DISAPPEARED from my effects library.

This is irritating. I'd be way more irritated if I had... let's say, bought an interface with no software, and I wanted to buy Studio One because of all the hype. I didn't want to go Pro, but I paid $200 for the Artist version... and all of a sudden I discover "wow, this program doesn't do shit for $200!!"

I know there's an update, but I think it's only for Pro, not Artist, and I can't find it on PreSonus' site. Can anyone help me out? I'm thinking about selling this (if I can, I know there's a lot of BS because of the license and all that) and getting a new DAW, possibly Cubase Essential or something.

I hope someone else is with me on this.
22nd March 2010
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear interested

I don't know much about Studio One but if you are considering going to a new DAW I would highly recommend Logic. It will work great with your Firebox which is a pretty good interface and it is a lot more fun and easy to work with than Cubase, although Cubase is a descent program I don't think it has near the features of Logic.
22nd March 2010
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear addict

Reaper is an excellent DAW. Just switched to this after 17 years with Cubase. Only costs $60 but can trial the full DAW for 30 days for free first.
23rd March 2010
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4 Music View Post
although Cubase is a descent program I don't think it has near the features of Logic.
This is not a true statement. I'm all for user preference, and I could even see myself using Logic if I switch to a Mac, but Cubase is as feature rich as Logic.
graymj86
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Reaper is an excellent DAW. Just switched to this after 17 years with Cubase. Only costs $60 but can trial the full DAW for 30 days for free first.
I tried Reaper, but it didn't work very well. It didn't work with my nanoKontrol at all. I think I might go with Cubase because it has the same look and feel of Studio One...

I can't use Logic because I don't have a Mac, unless there's something they're doing that I haven't heard.

Another problem I have with Studio One is that I start a new song, change the sampling rate to 96 kHz for the song, on the Firebox driver, and in the "Start" window, which are the only 3 places you can change it. It still won't capture in 96k.

This all really sucks because the workflow and look of Studio One are amazing.

Does Cubase LE support 3rd-Party VSTs, or would I have to upgrade to Essential?
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Gear maniac

I would likely stick with Studio One, but seek out the solution first. Getting Guitar Rig and EZDrummer back should be fairly easy. I would recommend going to Presonuses Forums (there is one designated for Studio One), and there are plenty of very helpful people there that can help.

You do have to have Pro (I use S1 Pro and Logic) in order to utilize the VST support. If you like the platform enough, save up some cash and go Pro....you also get an awesome Mastering platform, additional plugins (multiband, etc), and more loops/instruments.
graymj86
29th March 2010
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincrow View Post
I would likely stick with Studio One, but seek out the solution first. Getting Guitar Rig and EZDrummer back should be fairly easy. I would recommend going to Presonuses Forums (there is one designated for Studio One), and there are plenty of very helpful people there that can help.

You do have to have Pro (I use S1 Pro and Logic) in order to utilize the VST support. If you like the platform enough, save up some cash and go Pro....you also get an awesome Mastering platform, additional plugins (multiband, etc), and more loops/instruments.
I have no problem with Studio One Pro, because the only problems I have with Artist would be solved with Pro. Maybe that's the point...

But yes, Pro looks awesome. I love how Studio One feels and looks, I just think Artist is kind of a ripoff. They should either do away with it altogether or strip it down even more and advertise it as a much lighter product (like limit the track count and such).
graymj86
29th March 2010
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't know much about Studio One but if you are considering going to a new DAW I would highly recommend Logic. It will work great with your Firebox which is a pretty good interface and it is a lot more fun and easy to work with than Cubase, although Cubase is a descent program I don't think it has near the features of Logic.
I wish I could go with Logic, but I don't have a mac.

Which version of Cubase do you use?
Deleted User
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Deleted User

Quote:
I've worked with cubase for about 5 years, and about 3 years with logic. Seriously, from version 8 logic looks more like cubase than ever... both are really fun to use.

And about logic having more features... I'd really like to see a list of things you can do in logic you can't in cubase. In fact I know a few things you can do in cubase you can't in logic.

Not trying to bash logic, it's my daw right now and I love it, but a lot of logic people underestimate cubase which is a very good daw. Hans Zimmer uses cubase on mac btw.
graymj86
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
I've worked with cubase for about 5 years, and about 3 years with logic. Seriously, from version 8 logic looks more like cubase than ever... both are really fun to use.

And about logic having more features... I'd really like to see a list of things you can do in logic you can't in cubase. In fact I know a few things you can do in cubase you can't in logic.

Not trying to bash logic, it's my daw right now and I love it, but a lot of logic people underestimate cubase which is a very good daw. Hans Zimmer uses cubase on mac btw.
I heard Logic is huge so it can really load down your computer, but you get pretty much everything with the program. At least, that's what I heard.

Anyway, Studio One Artist is "full of features".

But the Ampire plugin sucks. Just throwing that out there.
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymj86 View Post

But the Ampire plugin sucks. Just throwing that out there.
So far, I'll have to agree with you on this one. I just got S1 Pro. Last night I was messing around with Ampire, and then Waves GTR3, and there's just no comparison at all. Ampire is very muffled and soft sounding compared to it. The plugin looks real cool though, for what that's worth. lol.
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis Bernstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
+1. Or try the Harrison mixbus for a more console type experience. Both cheap and very cheeful
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymj86 View Post
About a month ago, I purchased a PreSonus Firebox. I love it, it's a great product. It came bundled with Studio One artist. I had heard a lot about this software and I really wanted to try it. Of course, my computer is not online so I couldn't download the demo. My Sweetwater sales rep was speaking highly of the software so I thought it would be great.

At first, it was. It looks like Cubase, because the same engineers designed it (or so I was told). You can do a lot of great things with this software.

But you can't use third-party plugins. Okay, so you can, but only the plugins that came with the software (which is EZDrummer lite, Kore player and Guitar Rig 3 le). I know I shouldn't expect too much, the software was free with the Firebox, but I do have Amplitube 2 and I'd like to use it. Ampire is the amp plugin that PreSonus makes, and it blows.

I know it comes with Guitar rig 3 le, but I installed it and have to activate it blah blah blah....

But for some reason, BOTH EZDrummer lite and Guitar Rig DISAPPEARED from my effects library.

This is irritating. I'd be way more irritated if I had... let's say, bought an interface with no software, and I wanted to buy Studio One because of all the hype. I didn't want to go Pro, but I paid $200 for the Artist version... and all of a sudden I discover "wow, this program doesn't do shit for $200!!"

I know there's an update, but I think it's only for Pro, not Artist, and I can't find it on PreSonus' site. Can anyone help me out? I'm thinking about selling this (if I can, I know there's a lot of BS because of the license and all that) and getting a new DAW, possibly Cubase Essential or something.

I hope someone else is with me on this.
I think you need a little perspective my man. You're complaining about a lack of features on a free product. It's one of the best free DAW offerings on the market right now. You were just surprised at how Presonus decided to implement it. The upgrade to Pro will fix all of your problems. And it will cost you the same (or less) than buying a whole new daw. If you like S1...why not just drop the money on Pro? You tried it...you like it...but you don't want to pay for it...

Forgive my confusion...

Artist isn't supposed to compete with a full featured DAW...how could Presonus make any money on it that way? Think man...think.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bernstone View Post
+1. Or try the Harrison mixbus for a more console type experience. Both cheap and very cheeful
I started trying out Harrison Mixbus as a "virtual analog summing console" routing to it from Digital Performer. I have been thrilled with the results. It sounds freakin' awesome to my ears. I'm getting better sound out of it than I was with the Waves SSL or API plug-ins.

I like some of the UI features and user-friendly approach that Studio One is taking. I'll probably test it out but I don't like the idea that their Artist version is so hobbled. I mean, who do they think they are gonna do, make money or something? Gosh. They should gift it to humanity for free.

JK. I'll check it out see what I think. It would be a big bonus if it could import all my MOTU Digital Performer projects seamlessly.
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Gear interested

another vote for mixbus.

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search