Subscribe
Mike Douaire
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Mike Douaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
i would snatch up the isa one if i were you. the $500 price is just nuts for that pre.

Thank you, I needed someone to tell me just to get it. I could probably re-sell it higher than what I paid for if I really dont like it (and after the sale from GC of course)

"Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." - Charlie "Bird" Parker
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear nut

Please don't hit me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douaire View Post
Oh wow.

You know, I almost want to smack you for showing me that deal. Now I'm even more indecisive!!

Thanks, thanks a lot

Well, you're REALLY gonna wanna smack me then...

If you have an iPhone, then check this out: Focusrite ISA One at Guitar Center for $499

Props to Moe for the lookout!

Also, I found the same coupon on the "Where" app on my blackberry. Very tempting!

Do let us know what you go with. Decisions, decisions...
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Mike Douaire
Dude, you are amazing (you too Moe!!)

I have an iPhone. I'm getting the App now.

So essentially I could be as low as $360?

$500 - $100 - 10% coupon (unless I'm only allowed to use 1 at a time...)

I think it'd be stupid for me not to go with the ISA One...
18th March 2010
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

$360 for an ISA One - I'd have to agree!!
21st March 2010
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

easy! on that budget (if you can find one) a Universal Audio Solo 110. the lo-z button just slays on dynamic mics, and it has gain out the ass, and colored from clean to mushy depending where you dial the knobs. the smooth (warm) clarity of this preamp seems to be tailor made for vocal recording. it's a shame these are discontinued. yes, I have used this pre with an SM7 successfully more times than I can count

might be hard to source one, though. I would bet the Daking Mic Pre One is a very good, more readily available option. also on the forward/smooth/ballsy type of sonic territory. a nice single channel, transformered solid state preamp would seem to be hard to go wrong with, as a do-all "money" pre / piece of equipment on a budget. you can do a lot with one channel especially if you are layering tracks one at a time

pick up a Sytek, too, and get a mic collection brewing, and you should be able to learn a lot and record a lot, until the eventual day when you can start to add APIs etc, if you get that far. the solo 610 is also an excellent one to have around (not for vocals, though, if you ask me)
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear nut

i been doing lots of research the daking mic pre seems to have very positive reviews not even a single negative thing about it.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Head

if you are buying this thing for vocals mainly, you should look into a channel strip rather than just a preamp. i use my sm7b with the ssl alpha channel sometimes as a vocal chain. its nice because it has the vhd feature which lets you dial in harmonic distortion.. nice for coloring vocals. plus it has 75db of gain which is plenty.. i actually also own a 003 and some presonus gear and they definitely wont cut it for the sm7b. i think presonus only goes up to around 58-62db or so. the eq is pretty nice too, plus the light limiter makes a good safety net when used very very very minimally if your vocalist gets loud real quick. i know its above your budget slightly but it would be worth it in my opinion.

by the way grace pre's are good transparent pres, but for this setup you would probably prefer a bit of color, or at least the option to add it if you see fit for the song
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search