tascam vl-m3 - cheapo mixcubes?
New Reply
Subscribe
mr jkn
13th March 2010
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

tascam vl-m3 - cheapo mixcubes?

Anyone used these yet? Opinions? Didn´t find any solid info on the web.

TASCAM

I don´t have the budget to shell out on mixcubes, and I need a second reference to my krk 6000´s. They´re small and not as ugly as the edirol ma7 (imo).
13th March 2010
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Gear maniac

Any users will comment this?? I find strange that such a small speaker has a low frequency response as low as 46 hz :z
It will have the same response as adam a7x. lol

I want something for reference but it seems no sense that the might be hyped a lot in the low end.

anyone really recomends them as a 2nd reference speaker? trustworthy?

thanks
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't trust them, because they have a bass-port. I think for such small design speakers, a bassport would seriously alter the low-end perception.
Maybe those new Behritones are a better option.
I myself went for a pair of Fostex 6301BX's to complement my Focal CMS-65's.
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

I use and love them. The low end isn't hyped, it just exists. The bass port hIs strange tho.

Very mid heavy which is what I was looking for.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear maniac

any more thoughts on this model? any more users out there?

how you mean mid heavy? is it not kind of a cheap flat sound within a small size?

do you recomend them for referencing for tv /internet small speaker sound?

thanks
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

If youre looking for a 2nd reference do not get any kind of small monitors. These cubes and smaller speakers do represent the low end frequency spectrum. They probably go down to 80hz only and thats awfull for reference monitors.

Get your self another set of studio monitors or sell your krk's and get soemthing better that you trust. Obviously, you do not trust your krk's.

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to philoking Send a message via MSN to philoking
Get the MixCube

you only need one. I got mine for $240 from Amazon shipped 2 day. I absolutely love it. I still do most of my mixing on my mains, but when I am struggling with a mix decision or just want to see if it's sitting as well as I think it is, I flip over to the MixCube. Usually I am wrong It's great at finding that mid range detail you are missing on your mains for some reason. It's also kind of cool that the act of switching to it kind of hyper focuses you to listen intently.

If you get those Tascams, only use one. That's part of the technique with the little grotbox is to see how your phantom center falls apart in a mono mix which is truly what most people will hear. So many people are listening in headphones that aren't seated very well, through systems that have speakers at diff heights or just oddly off axis, through TVs, in cars that have you far off to one side of the stereo image. The mixing through one makes you focus on your mix translating in that type of situation.

Also, it being sealed is supposedly one of the points also. It's going to give you a realistic representation of what low mids are there, and what normal highs are there.

That's where you will find you stuck all your vocal breath too high and that you put your kick sub so low you can't hear it now.

It's all I use now for settling in vocals, snares, kick drums, guitar solos, etc. The key word here is balance, you'll instantly hear what is out of balance, even if it sounded ok on your main monitors, you'll be surprised by how "that vocal is way to loud!" or "I can't hear the kick drum at all!"

Get one.

Find Me.

The Gear Addicts Show - http://www.youtube.com/reddoorvideos
My Music - http://soundcloud.com/projectk2r4
What is Project K2R4 - http://projectk2r4.com

4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Gear maniac

exactly. i just want them to pair with my adam a7x ! so it would only be to reference how my mixes translate in smaller systems like car/tv/phones etc.

is it a good buy for this purpose? what i want exactly is that it does not have a lot of bass obviulsy... but they say it goes down to 46 hz. its ridiculous for such a small speaker, so i doubt and i would like to have the opinion from people who use them.

cheeers
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear nut

The thing about mixcubes, Auratones, and the Behringers is that they have no cross over and no bass port. Crossovers and bass ports affect the phase and transient response of a speaker thus giving a less accurate presentation of the mid ranges and attack of the transients. It's not just about them being limited in frequency range.
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Gear maniac

i know what you mean... so do you consider i can go wrong with these? what might me worry is the bass port its too exagerated!!
if its neutral i think they could be alright... so i was lookinf for more people to shout with there experiences... but thanks
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search